Smilin' Hank Heads West: Burris joins Lions coaching staff

I thought when he was in Hamilton he made the team a lot better. The first year was bad but going from the bottom in 2012 to the Grey Cup the next season was pretty decent I would say.
I saw a lot of his frustration vented in the wrong places at times but pretty simply a guy who is frustrated knows the team can play better.

1 Like

ahh balogna

3DownNation reported Burris will be working with Rourke while staying at his home in Chicago for most of the year

What an Arsehole . :poop: :poop: :clown_face: :clown_face: That's all I gotta say .

1 Like

ok. my apoloigies. my enthusiasm has been lowered.

yeah, for sure, one short out burst at an emotional moment totally defines a persons character, doncha know

1 Like

Welcome back "Smilin Hank" great to see you signed on with the B.C Lions, I'm sure you can help Nathan Rourke develop into a rising CFL star. :dizzy:

1 Like

Hope the best for Henry, to be honest, those who do not like Hank are feeling that way because he either did not play for their team or left their team with ill feelings. I never ever cheered for Henry when he was a Stampeder But i was happy he won that grey cup with Ottawa....winning with 461 yards and 3 touchdowns leading the Redblacks to a 39-33 over time win over the Calgary Stampeders a team who had basically said he was done and washed up...and that he used to play for.

1 Like

Always nice to be in the news but not seeing how this works for the Lions to have Burris calling Nathan Rourke to give advice. I am sure his father is already doing that and it undermines the guy that is at the game trying to coach.

Travis Lulay or Mike Reilly would have been a better choice as a QB mentor imo. At least they have some name recognition in the community. Buck Pierce would also be very good

The other story you will hear is that they have to give it time.

I am not a big Hank fan,
But,
It is great to have him back in the League and the fact the Vancouver media immediately has a go to guy to get the Lions relevent again in BC.
We all know Hank loves the Cameras and microphones

I agree. You have to have a certain degree of ego to play quarterback at a high level and I never heard that teammates had any problem with him. As opposed to the blowhards on here who never met the guy but are willing to judge him anyway.

2 Likes

If Burris can show Nathen Rourke how to avoid the punishment he would otherwise get behind that creaky offensive line in BC then he'll have earned his paycheck. Quick reads, fast footwork and maybe a dense smokescreen might just keep young Rourke off the IR. Burris's brain could make the difference here.

I need not remind you that Jake Maier did an amazing job of moving around in the pocket last year against our killer pass rush and would've beaten us had his kicker not missed a last second field goal. I'm almost certain that Maier's stunning performance that day had something to do with the mentorship he recieved in Calgary from Dickenson and Hufnagel. While not nearly as schooled in teaching QB's as those two, Burris MIGHT be able to give Rourke some pointers on how to stay alive and make things work while being chased down by EVERY team in the league. We'll soon find out.

1 Like

Mentors can do tremendous things for people. It gives you experience without having to go get the experience yourself.

It's how Edmonton ended up doing wet ball drills before the '15 cup. Jones called (Don) Mathews to see if he missed anything in prep for the game.

1 Like

They sure can. Ricky Ray credits Chris Milanovich for resurrecting his career in TO after getting "sloppy and lazy" in Edmonton with poor footwork.
Tom Brady works every offseason with Tom House on mechanics of throwing. A number of QB take tap dancing to make them more nimble afoot.

1 Like

I wonder what Tom Brady takes to make himself more irritating. It really works.

1 Like

He wins.

2 Likes

...And he's the GOAT... And he's married to a supermodel... And he's still got his hair...

Yeh, but how much of that can be taught through Zoom? If Burris is going to have an impact he has to be there every time whoever is playing Q.B. trots off the field, after another horrendous rookie Q.B. Decision, and SHOW HIM, in real time, what went wrong. Playing around on Zoom a few days after the fact seems like something any ordinary qualified Q.B. coach better be able to contribute, or why not hire me to tell it like it is? I will do it for 2 G's a game, plus travel and accommodations, for a grand total of $36,000.00 (HARD MONEY).

1 Like

Well I would not hire you but agree this position should not be zoomed. It should be a QB coach on hand all season.

1 Like