Sinkfield not returning to Ticats...?

Speaking of dual roles I could be wrong on this but if memory serves me correctly the last player to actually play both ways in a game as a Cat was none other than Earl Winfield . In the “89” Grey Cup the Cats as I recall had 2 starting DB’s go down with injuries (one of them I believe was Lance Shields , not sure who the other one was ) and with the smaller rosters back then (35 actives ) the Cats were forced to use Earl on a few plays at corner back as they had no DB’s left on the roster . As I recall Shields did eventually come back in and finish the game but I’m pretty sure that was the last time that we used a player on both sides of the ball in a game .

So have I got this memory right ? anyone else also remember this ? can anyone else confirm it or am I mistaken ? or can anybody else add something to this story that I might’ve forgotten about or perhaps got mixed up ? Help me out here folks !!!..hopefully I’m not just having a “Mandela effect” moment :smiley:

8) You are probably right on that one bobo, but I certainly remember a game going back to either 82 or 83 played in
  Ottawa (since I was at the game), where one of our db's got hurt during the game and our star receiver at that time,  
  Keith Baker filled in at CB for at least 4 or 5 series.  He did an admirable job for sure, and I think he even had an 
  interception !!

The all time best player with Hamilton that was converted over to a CB was undoubtedly  Lewis Porter in 1971.
  He came to Hamilton as a wide receiver and had blazing speed, but it was decided at that time to switch him over to 
  defence at the CB position.

Boy, he got burned for 1 or 2 touchdowns a game for the first 3 or 4 games, and then he started to play the position 
  very well. and became an all star at that position for the next 6 or 7 years !!

Mind you Porter was a great athlete who adapted to his new position excellently.  He was one of the best all time 
    CB's the Cats have ever had, along with another great CB, David Shaw !!   The 2 best of all time in Hamilton.

I remember that too. Rosters were smaller then, so if you lost more than one guy at any position you were SOL.

As for the most recent … are you counting trick plays by defenders like Erik Harris or Joe Hagins who were inserted as receivers on a one-off basis?

Nope . I don’t consider them as they were both one offs and designed plays and don’t count. Neither Harris or Hagins (who by the way are two of my favourite LB’s that have ever played for this team) were thrown in on Offence as an emergency injury replacement necessity due to an injury to one of our starters . I do remember another time though when DT Matt Kirk was forced to play on the O-Line due to injury in I believe either the 2009 or 2010 season. If I remember correctly we only had 6 O-Linemen dressed for the game and sure enough had 2 of them go down to injury. It forced us to throw Kirk in at Guard for the rest of the game. I remember us sitting in the stands and laughing at Kirk as the poor guy was lost out there and was constantly waving his arms at the other Linemen asking them what he was supposed to do and where he was supposed to go on practically every play. The poor guy give him a “E” for effort but he really did look lost out there . :slight_smile:

Would Casey Printers count?
He threw so many pick 6s that he went offence to defense many times on the same play. :wink:

He was too busy eating his popcorn and counting up all the money that he stole from the team . :wink:

I agree we shouldn't count one-offs, or occasional fill-ins. Among players who switched from one side of the ball to the other as a regular position, no one touches Garney Henley, though he was versatile and played often on offence even when he was primarily a DB, before Jerry Williams switched him to full time on offence in 1972. A heck of a return man too, at a time when there was o blocking on punt returns. Lewis Porter would also be high on my list. A receiver who became an outstanding DB. I will never forget seeing him run down and tackle Argo speedster Leon McQuay in the open field, closing a gap of several yards to do it. John Barrow too, who played both ways for a couple of years before settling in as a DT only. 16 All Star selections in 14 seasons says it all.

I preferred it when the rosters were smaller, and the ability to play two ways was a real asset for a player, and sometimes a necessity for the team.