Simple suggestion that all fans can do to raise the profile of the CFL

Hello CFL fans,

It’s great to see that fans can chat here and discuss topics about the league. However, if we really want to attract new fans and raise the profile of the league (since I think there is an exposure problem in Canada), let’s start commenting on sport websites (like Sportsnet), which pretty much bury the CFL content/articles. I had some fun and did this by commenting on the recent Als/Stamps game. The article ended up being elevated to the top 5 most discussed since the “fire” which was started in the comments section. People were surprised to see that there were so many CFL fans commenting. Of course we know we’re out there, so would it be great if we could elevate the CFL on Sportsnet, and “force” them to elevate CFL content by commenting on CFL stories. Log on Sportsnet today, and start a CFL fire!!

I do alot of that on NFL message boards. Actually turned a few people onto it.

I have talked about this before, so I apologize to the people that have already heard this. The CFL is on ESPN in the U.S. I have watched several games. I go to a lot of NCAA games. In order to connect with U.S viewers, you have to have an angle that interests them. That angle is college football. In the U.S when you go to college you belong to a club for the rest of your life. You follow fellow students . My suggestion is when you show a CFL game , TSN should be highlighting the players name and college he went to.Flash it on the screen as many times as you can. It also applies to Canadian Universities. You want to create an affirmation with the viewers.At the beginning of every game you should be introducing the starters and have them say the University they attended just like the NFL does on some of there games. Just a thought.

TSN leaves that up to Rod Black now.

My suggestion is when you show a CFL game , TSN should be highlighting the players name and college he went to.Flash it on the screen as many times as you can. It also applies to Canadian Universities. You want to create an affirmation with the viewers.At the beginning of every game you should be introducing the starters and have them say the University they attended just like the NFL does on some of there games. Just a thought.
Been saying something like this for years now. I love this about NFL telecasts. In the first quarter, offence and defence introduce themselves to the TV viewer, so we (the audience) can get to know the players without their helmets on, where they are largely anonymous.

I agree, what largely binds the US viewer to CFL games is college affiliation. Reminding viewers that, say, Cody Fajardo was a star at Nevada is an important feature. I can’t believe this point gets overlooked by the league.

…I can hear CFL Fundamentalists saying that it’s yet another erosion of the CFL to be more like the NFL…and they might not be incorrect, it’s a staple of the televised game down south…

…maybe have the players state their name, college and favourite breakfast cereal instead…

Cool

Well said.sportsnet barely mentions our league. I will take your advice and visit their site. As an als fan living in Ottawa, I’ve had season tickets since their return and brought die hard nfl fans who don’t know or care about the cfl…every one of them have been blown away by the quality and atmosphere of the games. I proudly wear my Dickie Harris jersey to every game and the Ottawa fans are amazing. They hi-five me and call me?Alouette?.
Best league and fans anywhere…good post.

personally, I don’t like that. I just want to get on with the game. Not saying no merit in it, just don’t care for it since I am already hard core fan.

Agreed and get rid of that live mic none feature.

Great thread and points made here. We can all do our part to build the league. A bigger profile means more money and better players attracted to the league.

Speaking of profile, I hope the league negotiates with other networks. Having games only on TSN doesn’t have as large of a reach.

Right on here for the US. I don’t care to know in this way, but I’m not an average fan down here who often is heavily into the NCAA. I used to be through last season for my alma mater Notre Dame, but I’m not any more.

Good idea!

What other sites can you recommend?

???

fans can buy tickets and go to a game

i still maintain that cfl games should be shown on cbc and not tsn
i can watch nfl games w/o sub to cable and tsn the same should be said of cfl - i watch soccer on ctv w/ a tsn logo in top right hanf corner
i think cfl is a cdn institution and almost 100 yr old

No better suggestion/solution!

:slight_smile:

Quote from: FootbalYouBet on Aug 22 2019, 05:30 PM

personally, I don't like that. I just want to get on with the game. Not saying no merit in it, just don't care for it since I am already hard core fan.
Agreed and get rid of that live mic none feature. ------------------

Personally, I too tune in to watch the game, not trivial information. However, if whatever added trivial feature would boost interest in the CFL, whether from the US or Canada, I fully support it.

https://www.allyoucanread.com/canada-sports/

Other sites that I can recommend are newspaper sites, like the Sun, Herald, Gazettes etc… If you really look, hardly anyone is commenting on CFL action.

“hardly anyone is commenting on CFL action.”

The general public wants to watch “major league” sports, not ''minor pro". Unfortunately the CFL, though it is a more interesting game (IMO), it is considered “minor pro” by many, particularly in a good part of Ontario.
That’s the perception problem we gotta get through.

Ivan Diablo: “I still maintain that cfl games should be shown on cbc and not tsn
i can watch nfl games w/o sub to cable and tsn the same should be said of cfl”

agreed