Simple motor/attentional neurological test if anyone would try this for me

I have a favour to ask and if you don't want to try this or report this to me, either in this thread or by messaging me, not a problem at all.
But the more people doing this and letting me know, it would be great. It's for my curiosity more than anything. And, BTW, I did have ADHD of some sort as a kid and now have a neurological motor disorder with some neuropsychiatric overtones as some are aware as I've mentioned.

What I would have you do if you decide to try this, is to do 3 things. The first one is to protrude your tongue from your mouth fully and keep it protruded for 10 seconds. The second one is to fully close your eyes and keep them closed again for 10 seconds. The third one is to close your hands tightly again for 10 seconds. If you can't do any of these tasks for 10 seconds, then this is what I, well neurologists call, motor impersistence. It is seen sometimes in normal individuals with some attentional issues but most often in people with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, autism spectrum disorder, some dementias, Huntington's disease, multiple sclerosis and stroke patients.
So if you try these, let me know if you are unable to do any of these and have had attentional type issues of any sort in school or whatever during your life.
Thanks. Again, only if you want to. Below are short reads on this if anyone is interested:

"Motor impersistence is the inability to maintain postures or positions (such as keeping eyes closed, protruding the tongue, maintaining conjugate gaze steadily in a fixed direction, or making a prolonged “ah” sound) without repeated prompts. Simultanapraxia, a subset of motor impersistence, has been defined as the inability to perform more than two of the simple voluntary acts simultaneously, such as closing the eyes and protruding the tongue. According to research (Kertesz, Nicholson, Cancelliere, Kassa, & Black, 1985; Rosse & Ciolino, 1986; Stuss, Delgado, & Guzman, 1987), it is most likely seen in patients with right frontal damage. Joynt, Benton, and Fotel (Joynt, Benton, & Fogel, 1962) developed a standardized objective test to measure motor impersistence."
https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-0-387-79948-3_2046

"We studied motor impersistence with a standardized clinical test of sustained actions, both in patients with acute focal stroke lesions, who were matched for age and size of lesion, and normal controls. Patients with right-sided lesions had significantly more impersistence than did those with left-sided lesions. The most discriminating tests were eye-closure, mouth-opening, tongue-protrusion, and gaze to the left. Right central and frontal lesions seemed to be more responsible for motor impersistence than were posterior or left-sided lesions. Although motor impersistence is sometimes seen with diffise cerebral disease, it is also a sign of right-hemisphere lesions; the phenomenon is probably related to mechanisms of directed attention that are necessary to sustain motor activity."

Did it. Passed. No issues as a kid.

1 Like

Ditto.

1 Like

Earl’s gonna rack up a dozen or so of us and then sit back and laugh as he thinks about a bunch of guys out there holding their eyes closed, sticking their tongues out and clenching their fists at his command, all in the name of science….well played sir…

1 Like

I have always thought that a few members of this forum maintain that position every time they post.

2 Likes

Test complete all good . :+1:

1 Like

Didn't want my wife to see me do this. So did it while driving to the store.

The police officer didn't believe my story....now I'm doing a sobriety test as well. :woozy_face:

4 Likes

Test done all good . Now I just have one question....when do I get my prize ?

Oh and here is proof that I actually took and passed the test .

This is me doing the eye and tongue thingy . :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
And here is me doing the fist thing ............. :fist: :fist:

4 Likes

Thanks for any feedback even the humourous type of feedback which I get. :slight_smile:
But no laughing at all, I can't do any of these tests for 10 seconds and it's concerning as I'm starting to drop things once in a while now like using a fork at dinner for example. No, I am very interested as I think that any child or teen that can't do these things for 10 seconds should be monitored by the education and medical people and possibly tested for any diseases like Huntington's (a genetic test is available for this disease, one of the few neuro diseases which have such a specific test for a definite diagnosis, most neurological disease only have a clinical diagnosis which can change and is not nearly as accurate as a genetic test or say a tissue biopsy type test for cancer) where motor impersistence is a core feature, also called negative chorea BTW. Also for anyone interested who may have driving issues for a neurological type reason like multiple sclerosis, this has been studied with that. Info that could come in useful for example if you can't do this if you're asked to do a test like this, just say that you compensate for this with doing another action ie you are aware of your limits and recognize it but are able to compensate for this with doing something else. Because we all want to maintain our ability to drive if possible, I sure do, so far so good with the neuropsych tests I've done.

2 Likes

Test passed no issues as a kid on this front

In the US it varies sadly by regions and demographics like so much else, but they do test kids more for various disabilities especially during and after kindergarten.

We are talking beyond regular hyperactivity and inattention and zoning out here.

We all had those teachers who sounded a lot like that Charlie Brown teacher after all.

Shoot I had also professors and later managers at work like that.

1 Like

Wait, you can't close your eyes for 10 seconds? How do you sleep?

It's about 'forced' closure of eyes, sleeping doesn't require forced closure of eyes. So for instance, chorea most often seen in Huntington's disease, disappears during sleep.

2 Likes

Did it.

Then I raised my antennae, shot some webbing across the street and swung to a nearby building. No problemmo.

2 Likes

Too much information. :rofl:

1 Like

Then it's a good thing I didn't talk about the difficulty I had finding a phone booth. Changing into my superhero costume in the back of a 7-11 was my only option.

"Yes Mister Clerk, I'll have a six dollar Lotto Max and a four dollar 649 to go with my Slurpee. Thanks. Now I must go fight evil."

UP UP AND AWAAAAY!!!

3 Likes

We continue to learn so much more about your superhero alter-ego - "Jerk Man" I think you call him? :thinking:

Keep it going you big -- Jerk? :smirk:

2 Likes

You don't have to call me 'Jerk Man'. All my friends call me 'Jerk'... or if you that's too long, 'erk' will do.

EXCELSIOR!!!

2 Likes

LOL, I picture you as Sam Rockwells character in Seven Pyschopaths....I can be your buddy Marty!

2 Likes

I reckon @Maaax is a lot like one of my mentors Dewey Cox, but he wears a cape and is not a musician.

He's guilty as charged though, and he probably has this classic as his Jerk Man theme song. Yeah.

3 Likes

Why did I start this thread, can someone please tell me? I should have known better. :grimacing:

2 Likes