Simoni Lawrence

You just know a lot of positions won't be settled until after camp and Xgames. Some decisions will be very difficult to make.

I thought that Bowman was penciled in at MLB with Kromah coming in looking at Will Spot with Plesius also pushing for a spot. Lawrence thrived last season under Stiehuaer's defense and Austin absolutely loves him.
Austing will want him back if possible and Lawrence I imagine would want to be back. If it means releasing or 9 gaming to start the season some higher contracts than so be it.
Austin went through last season with up to 10 players on the one game IR some injured some used for expanding of the roster.
With starters locked in now at higher salaries we won't see the large one game IR but there will be a larger 9 game IR to have guys in reserve for the second half of the season

seeing as how SL only has last year and his rookie year to compare with Bowman's 4 seasons, lets take a look at each's last full season instead.
TK STT SK INT YDs LG TD Fumb Yds Lg TD
BOWMAN, M 2012 WPG 52 11 2 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

LAWRENCE, S 2013 HAM 52 3 1 3 21 15 0 0 0 0 0

The tackles are identical, special teams there's a disparity but I don't have each's ST spot and duties in front of me.

sacks: bowman had one more playing on a very QB hungry Winnipeg defence of 2012.

INT's: 3:1 for Lawrence. here's the real difference for me. The reason Lawrence was probably my favourite player last year and what made his contributions to the team special. He was a game breaker and a game changer. Same reason why he was signed to an NFL tryout.

He had the ability to disrupt the other team's offence and make things happen.

Hope he's back

We’ll have to agree to disagree, Fender.

You have certainly backed up your opinion with stats, and for that you are to be commended; you raise valid points.

But my opinion was based more on gut feeling than stats. And I still think Lawrence is superior to Bowman (okay, okay, maybe ‘light years’ better is hyperbole); he’s gotten recent NFL interest, and I don’t think that Bowman has. Given the choice between the two, I’d pick Lawrence if the money was comparable.

Drew Edwards ? @scratchingpost
#Ticats have re-signed linebacker @Simoni_Lawrence. #CFL

:thup:

We just got a whole lot better

:thup: indeed. Great news.
:thup: Amazing news! This guy is a pure linebacker

Simoni is already on the roster #21. :thup: :smiley:

This is stellar news.. now if the League and the PA can get their feces together, we will have a season!!

https://vine.co/v/MdxWJMO5dhQ

Yup!!! Looks like Brandon Stewart has given up his #21 jersey for Lawrence and is now listed as #9.Glad to have you back :smiley:
Mr.Lawrence :thup: :thup: :thup: It seems like you never left,nice work Kent on getting him back in the lair!!!

[b]The Tiger-Cats announced today that import linebacker Simoni Lawrence has returned to TigerTown after signing a new deal through the 2016 season.

After arriving in an off-season trade from the Edmonton Eskimos last season, Lawrence recorded 52 tackles, three interceptions and one quarterback sack in 12 games.

The Minnesota product signed with the NFL’s Minnesota Vikings in February before being released on May 13. Prior to beginning his CFL career with the Eskimos in 2012, Lawrence spent time with the NFL’s St. Louis Rams, Philadelphia Eagles, Chicago Bears and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

"Simoni is a very athletic linebacker who has demonstrated the ability to make big plays at crucial times during games. He plays the game with passion and his enthusiasm is contagious. We're really excited that he's back," said General Manager and Head Coach Kent Austin.[/b]

http://cfl.uploads.mrx.ca/ham/images/general/2014/05/crop_20292130531.jpg

I will always remember that hit he put on the Montreal RB when the Als needed a first down late in the playof game last year. Knocked the RB backward when both were running at full speed into one another. Lawrence is a tremendous hitter. I'm glad he's back.

Yes this is GREAT news!! Very glad to have Simoni back in black and gold. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I was hoping that he would be re-signed after his NFL release. Glad that Austin was able to get him locked up and not let him slip away to another team! :thup: :thup:

To review...

Lawrence, Wojt, Massoli for Nathan Kanya and the rights to Carson Rockhill (whom we re-signed after EDM cut him).

See "fleecing".

Getting Lawrence back is a huge signing for Hamilton. He was definitely a key part of the Cats revamped defense and the depth chart just changed. No doubt now Butler will be well entrenched at safety. Austin stated that Butler would play safety and not LB but still were thoughts by many that he could still play WIll LB and is listed on the roster as a LB.
Kromah appeared to be the possible starter before this.
Plesius is working towards getting time on defense. MLB seemed to be what he would be looking at along with Bowman. Plesius also has a track record as a Will LB as well.
Lots of talent at the LB position both Canadian and import.
Prime has been officially been moved to FB but will not change his roster spot as a teams player. Also could still fill in at MLB in a pinch if needed. Having one player who can play in all three phases O, D, and Teams.
with simoni signing Beswick will be well entreched as an exclusive special teams starter. Great for Hamilton to have a Beswick with likely acouple of Western rookies will be aon teams 1st round pick Beau Landry and 5th year FA Pawel Kruba both of which were 1st team all canadian in the 2013 CIS season.

The best news in a long time. The 2014 D just improved three fold.

Signed a 2+1 contract!(3 years)

from Drew Edwards,

• the Ticats have re-signed linebacker Simoni Lawrence to three-year deal. Lawrence, you may remember, signed with NFL's Minnesota Vikings (complete with signing bonus) then got released after the Vikes drafted a pair of linebackers. He had an opportunity to attend an NFL training camp but preferred to return to the CFL where he will be decently, though not outrageously, paid. But most importantly, he will play. And though a lot of guys give lip service about wanting to be somewhere, I think Lawrence legitimately enjoyed playing in Hamilton and was happy to return.

It was the tailgate food he got off us on Thanksgiving that brought him back best news of 2014 :rockin:

hes back case closed :slight_smile: :cowboy: