Simoni Lawrence retires

I’d be surprised if his new job pays more, than what he was getting to play, but it’s a job that he can do, and do well, in a comfort zone and, I expect, with some access benefits which would be attractive to him. A nice offer, by the club, that resulted, I’d say, in a good decision, accepting it, by Simoni.

2 Likes

You don’t think HSG could/would pay him $75-$80K to do some community appearances and be an ambassador? Cause that about what he was making last year

1 Like

let me rephrase that. It was his decision. My poor choice of words. But I think the cats certainly made the decision to retire much more attractive than to play.

that’s likely more what I meant.

But certainly Simoni controlled all his decisions.

4 Likes

Many, if not most, of us on this site are of a vintage that feels pain differently than when we were young. Things take longer to heal, if they ever do. You wake up with all your previous injuries reminding you that you’re not a young athlete any more.

For Simoni to accept an offer from a competing team means uprooting his life for 6 months, from a place he has now calles “home”, to put himself through unbelievable hardships, potential serious injury, more pain, for a relatively poor paycheque. Maybe as a backup player too.

It WAS Simoni’s decision, but one would have to think that finances had a big part of it. Earn the same money and not have to worry about having your knee drained before a football game? Not having the potential of a season- or career-ending injury and the last time you’re competing on a playing field is when you’re carted off on a stretcher - likely for the same salary as this office job that is essentially letting Simoni be Simoni?

He took the opportunity to “graduate” on his OWN terms.

3 Likes

I’d guess that range of pay is accurate but, although I did hear that he played for less than he had, previously, in '23, I wasn’t aware that his final player salary was that low.

1 Like

That was probably a direct effect of his less-than-stellar (due to injuries) 2022 season.

His max contract was $168k in 2022 and he didn’t get all of those bonuses at all.

He then told me he took a $75K pay cut and that he made “well under $100k”.

Wow, I’m surprised he played for that little. His 2023 was solid.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Simoni is the type of guy that if he was in the WWE he would be a villain and heel every place he wrestled except here in Hamilton where he would be the baby faced hometown hero .

3 Likes

That is crazy for a linebacker of his accomplishments. And he still went on to have a fine 2023 year. What a player.

5 Likes

He’d be a villain in Saskatchewan for sure. I don’t speak for everyone in BC obviously but I liked the way he played.

5 Likes

on Bubba’s podcast Simoni bated us all with a story about James Wilder Jr…you could tell he wanted to tell the story, but held back. Bubba had asked if Simoni had any wild or crazy stories…

oh to get the deets on that. I’m sure you are reading this Simoni :wink: (let us in on some deets)

Surprised no one’s mentioned this yet. Simoni might sit the season and sign for the playoffs. Could be interesting having a fully healthy and rested Simoni for the stretch run.

2 Likes

loved this comment:

There’s no other team in the league that looks at Simoni Lawrence as not a villain. I’m the guy you go on the field and the coaches are like, ‘Make sure 21 doesn’t make plays. We hate 21.’ So it’s like going into any (other) locker room is work.”

1 Like

I am from burlington lol I skip Andrea…
I wanted to see the Party at the Stadium

1 Like