Signings for 2022

Some sort of retirement thing for Breaux or is he actually coming back?
With all the other DBs we have to resign this is kind a curious.

1 Like

Maybe Breaux could be on the Bear Woods Plan. Spend all 18 games on the 6-game injured list, meanwhile he gives a few pointers to the other DBs. Doesn't count against either cap.

1 Like

He's 32. Not out of the realm that he wants to play again. I seem to recall him not being interested in a shortened season or something like that.

2 Likes

Signing a kick returner and a corner. Could it be Williams may not be back ?

1 Like

One-day retirement contract, perhaps?

He hasnā€™t had the ā€œnormalā€ wear and tear on his body for his age, so who knows?

He was already a Ticat. No need for that

1 Like

Somewhat ironic for Breaux to sign in Hamiton since our DBs were the least of our concerns in 2021. However, it does make sense though if Frankie wonā€™t be back because of his concussion issues and good shutdown corners are hard to find.

As good as our secondary was last year I think we did find ourselves a little short on depth. Especially when injuries started to pile up.

1 Like

Iā€™m guessing he plans to play. He spent the last year and a half promoting his book while trying to get a movie deal, hustling Breaux Show t-shirts, and soliciting speaking engagements. I suspect heā€™s done the math now and figured out that playing DB in the CFL pays much better than all of that.

If Iā€™m right, I hope he came back at a much lower contract than he left at, or that itā€™s heavy on games started, all-star, and award incentives. Two years away and 32 years old makes me slightly (seriously, just slightly) uncomfortable.

2 Likes

Remember he made almost $2m in the NFL. I donā€™t think itā€™s a situation where he needs the money.

Couldnt be any worse than Geoff Tisdale's comeback.

1 Like

Re: The coaching job speculation
Unless it's a playing coach position, the club would not have put him on the active roster.

I donā€™t recall another player doing what Campbell has, going from college ball to the pros. He was drafted by the TiCats in '19, attended training camp, and returned to play another season at U. of T. In ā€˜21 he, again, attended training and was put on the PR for the first 3 games of the TiCatsā€™ season. Then he, once again, returned to play yet another season with the Varsity Blues. I hope he has a great '22 camp. Thereā€™ll be no going back this time.

2 Likes

So I guess itā€™s nice to see us actually signing a few guys here and there . The problem I have is the fact that while other teams are re-signing their frontline players on a daily basis that outside of Evans and Van Zeyl all weā€™ve managed to sign is basically 3rd string fringe PR guys . I mean outside of Whyte who dressed for all 14 games as our LS , the other 3 have played a grand total of only 6 games combined between them .

By way of comparison the team that finished ahead of us in the East has already re-signed 7 of their pending FAā€™s .

andā€¦

The team that defeated us in the Grey Cup has already re-signed 9 of their pending FAā€™s .

and finallyā€¦

The team that is hosting the Grey Cup this year has already re-signed a whopping 14 of their pending FAā€™s .

Sounds like heā€™s planning on playing not coaching .

3 Likes

The article mentions he is a free agent. The Ticats have nothing to lose. Sign him for whatever money (heavy on playtime incentives) and if he shows up to camp out of shape or out of sorts, you cut him or trade him.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think ā€œout of shapeā€ or ā€œout of sortsā€ is in his DNA!
Healthy and 32 years old, shut down corner probably on a team friendly contract to the only CFL team he would play for.
Also, With the re-signing of Papi White, it was a good day! :tiger:

5 Likes

I assume he will be ready as well, but 2 years is still 2 years,and weed isnā€™t exactly a peformance enhancer ( no judgement just facts).

I thought he had re-signed, but that is not the case(yet)

3 Likes

That explains why there was no announcement of a signing.

I didnā€™t realize Breaux was still so young. Feels like heā€™s been around forever. But he joined the team the same year as Simoni, and is essentially the same age as Simoni, J.Davis and J.Rolle. He could easily have a couple more good years in him.

3 Likes

IF he signs a contract in Hamilton again, I -might- be somewhat OK if Adeleke signs elsewhere. Katsantonis, while young and relatively inexperienced, was nothing short of excellent for a rookie thrown into starting in the Grey Cup when he was literally the third-string Safety coming out of training camp. I would miss Adelekeā€™s versatility at being able to play all DB positions as well as SAM, but I can see Kats being able to sub in at SAM if necessary.

Of course, if we can sign Adeleke, my point is moot. Having more than 5 DBs dressed for a Championship game -might- have been a good idea in the first placeā€¦

2 Likes