Sign Danny Brannagan

We do need Canadian content rules. Our fanbase is 99% Canadian and to renew that fanbase you need kids dreaming of winning the Grey Cup. That's hard to do when you know you can't compete with US football factory talent without the ratio.

The ratio should extend to QBs also but until that rule is changed, there's no point to signing QBs who are inadequate merely because their passport.

Excellent post Mike. You are one of the few fans on here that can see through the CFL’s antiquated roster rules. There is no value in forcing teams to use under-talented players on the roster simply to fill some arbitrary non-import quota. Each roster position should be filled by the best available player with no free passes given out to less talented players simply because they meet arbitrary residency requirements. This is not 1960. The CFL should realize that it is in serious competition with other sports franchises to attract new fans and hold the interest of existing fans and you do not accomplish that by essentially mandating a sub par on-field product. Let the best players play to best showcase the unique CFL brand of football. The rules make the CFL game unique - not the players.

enjoy an empty stadium because without Canadians the loss of fans that would result will bankrupt virtually every team

Well…actually, the CFL is growing. TSN’s numbers are increasing, an expansion team is starting in Ottawa and work is underway at getting a tenth team in the Maritimes.

Nonsense…
When the Ti-Cats score a touchdown, I don’t think their fans are concerned whether it’s scored by Arland Bruce or Matt Carter and when the Argos score, their fans don’t cheer louder if it’s scored by either Jeff Johnson or Cory Boyd. Let each player earn his way on to the roster in fair and open competition with all available players for that position. Fans will respect and admire non-import players more knowing they have earned their roster spots legitimately rather than receiving free passes due to an arbitrary roster quota.

Wrong. Barker is on record saying it was a roster move due to an injury to Brannagan’s wrist.

First time I agree with AKT wholeheartedly.

You best believe that Canadian content draws fans. Without Canadian content the CFL is just another minor league. Frankly its doubtful there would be any Canadian content without the current ratio rules. None of the Canadian stars would have been given a chance IMO

In actuality, you would simply be lowering the bar on overall team talent level further to make it easier for non-imports to get on the roster. If you want the CFL to be a developmental league, why bother with imports at all?

Bingo. Look at the attitudes of people towards the AHL. People don’t view it as important and it draws flies. If the CFL was simply a feeder system for the NFL with nothing put American players, fans would stay away.

Performance aside, most casual fans don’t know which players on the field are imports and which are non-imports nor do they particularly care IMO. I believe fans should be allowed to see the unique CFL brand of football played by the best available players, period.

Seymour, I understand your desire to see the best players but frankly your vision of an All American League in Canada is not shared by the masses. Frankly if you were to have an all Canadian league you’d attract more fans than an all American league. The other fact is neither league would attract enough fans to be viable. I’d love to see an all Canadian league but I’m not so naive as to think it would attract fans like yourself and it would be doomed to fail before it got off the ground. The CFL needs both sets of fans. NFL only fans will bypass the CFL in any event so any thought that you’d increase the fanbase from that side to offset the massive loss of fans from the Canadian fans is also naive

Performance aside I’d say most STH know many of the players import/non import status and at least half of the casuals do as well particularly if its a local kid

Do you have any stats to backup your statements?

How do you explain the growth of the CFL with import rules you state are not attractive to sports fans?

No one is disputing the current popularity of the CFL - are you saying that a better on-field product with the best available players would make the CFL less popular? I think the improved product would result in even more popularity and growth potential.

Your argument is swaying in the wind.

Remember saying this:
“The CFL should realize that it is in serious competition with other sports franchises to attract new fans and hold the interest of existing fans and you do not accomplish that by essentially mandating a sub par on-field product. Let the best players play to best showcase the unique CFL brand of football. The rules make the CFL game unique - not the players.”

You are disputing the current popularity of the CFL by asserting it is doing something wrong with the current product. You state people won’t care if there is no Canadian content, yet in this thread several people contend they would care. You are offering opinion as if it were fact. Show a survey, focus group, or some other recognized indication of your thesis otherwise admit it’s only your opinion which may or may not be valid.

I'm with Mikem and Seymour on this. I don't care how many Canadians are on the cats I just want to see good football. Most young people who are casual fans have no clue about the ratio rules, and couldn't tell you who the Canadians on the the team are. I don't know anyone who goes to CFL games looking to watch Canadian players, so saying taking out the ratio rule is just crazy. If you want to watch Canadian football you can go see the CIS. I love the CFL because it is local and I can go to all the games.

Well, you 'cyber' know several people on this thread who care about the Can-content.

And those you know can name many others by name that care

Personally, I don't have a problem with the calibre of play or individual talent level in the CFL. Sure, I've heard the anti-CFL crowd state one of the reasons they don't watch is because of the calibre, but come on...do you believe them? So if the Can-content rules were thrown out, more Americans were on the rosters, the calibre increases...will those anti-CFLers buy season tickets? Watch on TSN? What's attendance like at the Bulldogs or Marlies games again?

Read my previous post. I stated “Performance aside, most casual fans don’t know which players on the field are imports and which are non-imports, nor do they particularly care IMO.”
Again, no one is disputing the CFL’s current popularity. Television ratings and attendance in certain cities speak for themselves but that doesn’t mean the CFL should sit on its laurels and not explore additional methods to grow and increase its popularity. So again, are you saying that a better on-field product using the best available players would result in lower television ratings, fewer fans and reduced growth potential?

There are people in this thread that have stated they do care about the Can-content so it is possible the league’s popularity would decline with the loss of the Canadian player. If the calibre of play is the most important element then why are the Marlies and Bulldogs games virtually ignored? The AHL is arguably the second best hockey league in the world.

What makes the CFL brand attractive to many is the Canadian element. Half the players are Canadian, all the teams. The CFL will never be the NFL so there is no point in pretending to be.