Sick and Tired of Giving up Safties

When a coach gives up the safety on third down when deep in their own end it only shows the coach's lack of confidence in both the kicking team and the defense. I don't find this a positive situation at all. Unless there is a 30 mile and hour wind in your face you should be able to kick the ball out approx 40 yards and your defense should be able to stop the other team. If not, then changes need to be made!

That puts the other team in immediate field-goal range. Honestly, giving up 2 points in order to gain 25 yards of real estate makes more sense to me.

Disagree. The safety is there to concede two points in exchange for field position, rather than giving up giving up an automatic 3 or possibly 7

I too am sick of safeties. When the Cats gave up the safety last night I told everybody else in the room that on the ensuing kickoff BC was gonna get a decent return into Ti-Cat territory thereby negating the need for the safety. Sure enough it happened. :roll: But how many times have we seen that occur in order for that scenario to be so predictable? You might as well punt and hope for your defense to make a couple of good plays or even a turnover. A quick 2 and out and the opponent takes their chances with a LONG field goal which could go wide.

Many different things could happen if you punt and automatic points for the opponent is not a guarantee. So why GIVE the other team free points which could actually decide the outcome of a game.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This.

IF you had a kicker not named Luca that could hammer the ball deep on kick-offs (Where are you Nick or Justin???) then the trade off works.

But IF your name is Luca (he lives on the second floor), and can't get the ball deep, then the giving up of two usually ends up in 9...or at least 5.

We've all heard of Bartel's leg....let's see it.

Hendy77 Could not agree more ............... Congi is incapable of kicking a deep kick off. Why not try something different and use Bartells leg. Why is the blantanly obvious hard for Cortez to figure out? And George Kevon Eiben is NOT a starting linebacker. A special teams player and nothing else.

I do agree that if the other team’s special teams is good and has a returner named Tim Brown the whole point of a safety really goes down the drain…

Giving up safties also drives me crazy, your giving the opposition a minimum of 5 points and a real possibility of 9 points

The problem, is that "no yard" seems to be called on every punt these days. The refs use their judgement and throw a flag EVERY time, it's ruining the game. In the boring Sask/Edm game last night the "no yards" was called on Every punt.

I think something has to be done.

Yeah!

Maybe players should stay out of the 5 yard zone.

I think the no yards penalty is only 5 yards if the ball bounces before the punt returner takes it. That being the case, coverage teams teams may as well ignore the 5 yard zone and tackle the punt returner immediately and eliminate any chance of a long return. The 5 yard penalty is sort of meaningless when compared to the risk of giving up a longer return.
For that reason, it seems punters are often deliberately bouncing punts short of the returners to allow coverage teams to tackle these dangerous punt returners immediately even though the 5 yard penalty will result.

Except that these guys run full speed down the field and then expected to be exactly five yards even if they are 4'11 away the refs are flagging them. Also when the the ball hits the ground and bounces around the kicking team just can't give up the 5 yards and they have no choice. On a windy day you know it's going to be a game full of penalties.
It's a pathetic judgement call by the refs, It's frustrating and it's boring!

I think a much better rule would be that if the ball hits the ground the returner can not pick up the ball and the kicking team let's it roll and where they touch it is where the receiving team takes over. It would be very interesting when they try to aim a kick inside the 5 yard line and the kicking team attempts to keep the ball in play and out of the end zone for a touch back. The kick returner should have the option of stepping aside and letting it hit the ground or catching it in the air, if he decides to catch it in the air and run he is fair game, five yards or 1 yard. He would also have the opportunity to put his arm in the air and tell the ref "I'm catching it and downing it here" :smiley:

I think a much better rule would be that if the ball hits the ground the returner can not pick up the ball and the kicking team let's it roll and where they touch it is where the receiving team takes over. It would be very interesting when they try to aim a kick inside the 5 yard line and the kicking team attempts to keep the ball in play and out of the end zone for a touch back. The kick returner should have the option of stepping aside and letting it hit the ground or catching it in the air, if he decides to catch it in the air and run he is fair game, five yards or 1 yard. He would also have the opportunity to put his arm in the air and tell the ref "I'm catching it and downing it here"

sounds like the no fun league :thdn: :thdn:

This is the single stupidest-looking play that happens in the NFL/NCAA.
Don't ever... EVER bring that here.

Also, there's way more cases where the refs let a player get away with only being 4 1/2 yards away, than cases where they call a no yards on a guy who was outside the 5 yards. (based on slowing down several close calls on my PVR)

(I certainly hope so, anyway.)

I hope so too but he seems so pissed off by the no yards rule that it sounds like he's suggesting it for real.

That's the way I first read it too - even had a post written and almost hit Submit - until I noticed the :lol: at the end. And remember that mikem has always said that it's the unique Canadian rules that make the CFL special, so I doubt he would say to replace one of the more unique ones with the one from the NFL.

Nothing is automatic in the CFL. With a good defense you could:
a) sack the QB making a field goal attempt a non entity, b) cause a fumble with some hard hitting, intercept a pass thereby gaining field position, c) block the field goal, d) return a missed field goal for a TD. Lots of teams take the ball inside the opponents 50 yard line and do not score. Giving up points makes no sense at all.