Should we trade our early drafts?

well your saying if we get a vet then we're prob not gunna get rottier. if we trade to wpg for example they prob gunna take Tristan blacck or something, then the argos take Jamall Lee second we get Rottier or w/e 3rd, no harm done and we have a rookie and a starter. If we had say the first and 12th or something then i wouldnt trade the first but cmon. 1-3 isnt that far off. And as for salary cap, we're doing ok now with Lumsden and Printers gone, i think we can afford a vet OL or DL

If we did trade our pick to the bombers WHY would they trade a starter for our pick and then draft Black who is a LINEBACKER when they have Barrin Simpson, Joe Lobendahn, Siddeeq Shabazz, and Brendon LaBatte who is their 08 draft pick.

Winnipeg would probably draft an O-Lineman considering they lost 3 of there top lineman this year… and who is touted as the best lineman and #1 overall pick?.. Rottier.

omg there's more then one OL and Black was just an example. For EXAMPLE, WE trade Richie Williams, A conditional pick and the 1st pick for Dan Goodspeed. The bombers draft Rottier first overall (Rottier's way overhyped, he stunk bad in camp) argos take Jamall Lee second, We take OL Matt Morencie 3rd. (Matt Morencie is a good rookie to build on. Then we have a well seasoned starter to play this year and a rookie or two to sit the season out while they train to become starters which they're gunna have to do anyways.) Then when the vets gone those rookies are ready to go, we make the ol' switcheroo and nothing changes.

OHHHH ok now I see… we trade for an old vet Offensive Tackle who will retire soon along with Gauthier… and draft Matt Morencie to replace who exactly…

By the way Morencie is an interior lineman at 6’2 he is not big enough to play tackle…

Now I’m starting to believe HfxTC is really on to something in that other thread…

I'm not even gunna say anything anymore. You twist my words beyond belief and ignore the fact that these are just EXAMPLES

All you have done is give examples that are completely opinion based and totally made up with no sense at all… I have done nothing but question your examples and logic behind them. But since you can’t back them up with any respectable response you just accuse me of ignoring them.

I am all for this thread dieing off just like your previous ones so I’m cool with not talking about this anymore. Saves me a ton of time trying to figure out all these goofy non-logical “Examples”

HfxTC still says it best… SORRY

Wrong , wrong, wrong. They are going to take the best OL possible.

LMAO… I already know his reply…"IT WAS AN EXAMPLE!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: "

HfxTC, There is no use repeating our selves over and over…

Uh, I think your draft prediction is a bit off. I was at E-Camp, and Rottier didn’t have a Lee-esque day, but he didn’t stink up the place. And the scouts aren’t going to forget his gameplay. He won’t start at Tackle this year, but there is a possibility he could slot in at Guard. He still has all the tools to do well in the league.

I don’t know why you think the Argos will draft Lee. I mean, anything is possible, but a team that’s had several highly-touted first-round picks depart for the NFL over the last few years, with several good RBs on the roster and little previous interest in NI tailbacks? I guess if you’re just the type to assume the Argos will always do something stupid. I think it’s very likely that they’d take numerous players if available (Rottier, Legare, some of the NCAA players not at the combine) before they’d draft Lee.

Morencie is basically a future Center. That’s probably the ONE position on the entire roster where the Ti-Cats don’t need to add a piece.

When you look at a prospect, especialy a CIS one, you have to look at where he will be once he is fully developed. Rottier had never put on a set of pads till he got to college so really he has 3 years of football behind him and got invited to an East/West game and is rated a top pick. You got to like the potential in a young man like that. I've heard GM's say many times that you don't draft a guy with the intent of starting him coming out of school but what you think he can do down the road. Unfortunately the 1+1 contracts have made some teams shy away of guys that need some time to be developed. Others like the Ticats haven't been able to develop a rookie draft pick. I think Rottier is a worthy pick especialy if during the interviews has shown an interest in signing a 3+1.

They did draft Dawson out of Harvard two years ago. I don’t think they have a bias against NI RB but you would think they would be more interested in big bodies with all the retirements and releases this year.

NO, we should not trade the future for a short term veteran fix. Perhaps if BC offered us #4,#5, and #6 for our #1, maybe Obie would consider it. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Pat Lynch(the old guy in section 7)

Lions have something up their sleeve but that certainly ain't it Pat.

I'd say keep the picks. We aren't likely to be able to trade them for much unless we give up a combination of picks and current players, at which point the whole exercise becomes considerably less attractive.

I'd prefer to keep the picks, make good selections, see how camp goes, what we have, what we need. Then, if we have needs and trades make sense and there is a willing partner, go for it.

Let’s put it this way - we have stunk out the joint for the past many years now, and we were always in good position to draft high, including 1st pick overall.
How many of those picks have truly panned out?
I can’t think of any, & those that are still around are projects at best.
So, my hopes are not too high for ANY draft choices we make, which means that getting a veteran starter is probably a lot wiser.
Mind you - we haven’t drafted OL for awhile now, so maybe we should take our chance on some stud OLs, if there are any we think can make an immediate impact…

:thup: :thup: :thup:

I believe the last lineman we drafted with the first overall pick was Wayne Smith and he did quite well here until we traded him to the riders and now he is their starting tackle and a good one at that.

I agree Eagle, we should take a couple lineman in this years draft and hopefully they will turn out to be future All-Star lineman.

The problem in Hamilton hasn't been the players drafted. It is the lack of development of these young guys. You pick Rottier who has 27 or so CIS football games to his name, that's it...no HS, no Pop Warner, no junior ball no NFL Amateur tournaments... You have to develop these guys, you can't do like they did with Giffen and say here is a helmet go line up with the fullbacks and not talk to the kid for two weeks...

Agreed. I also feel that those days have passed since Obie arrived. This will only be the second draft since he took over, and I already feel like there has been a much more careful appraisal and use of talent (both I and NI) since that time.

IF we could get something of quality for a draft pick I'd say do it in a heart beat. I know, we need young Canadians, but we've had the number one pick for five years. Any non-lineman we draft seems to jump to the NFL and we sit and hope he comes back. Our picks haven't seemed to make a huge impact. Sure, we need special teams players and O-lineman always, but on such a young and inexperienced team I wouldn't mind bagging a couple veterans for those picks.

we cant have an all rookie team and hope to succeed. We can get a decent veteran for a pick, doesnt have to be the best OL in the CFL but at least a starter. When i say veteran people automatically imply that im talking about a guy whos in his last season and doesnt have it anymore. after 1-2 years your considered a vet just an FYI