Should we trade our early drafts?

A few teams have already stated that they have interest in moving up in the draft and since the draft isn't looking that fantastic in terms of what we're looking for, should we perhaps try to grab an O-line or two and maybe a D-line from another team for one of our early picks?? I think it's not something that we should rule out.

My question would be, if you think the draft doesn't hold anything of value for us, then what is it other teams are inquiring to move up for? What would they have that they don't need that we could use that they are willing to trade to move up in a draft that you feel holds nothing of value for us.

I think we could improve at just about every position, so whatever teams are willing to move up and draft we would likely want to draft for ourselves. I don't think anybody would be willing to trade us anything more valuable that what is available to move up.

My take on that the player offered must be exceptional. Because of the SMS if you trade your top picks, you expect a quality NI in return. IE: Pottinger for 4th. pick this week. (An ideal trade) but you have to keep in mind that for at least two years your draft pick will cost you around 56k a year (whatever the minimum is now) vs 100 to 140k for the guy you are trading for. So over the course of those two years, you are also picking up 200k extra in wages. You do that too much and you turn around and your the Winnipeg Blue Bombers...

umm. for instance a few teams have their eyes on Matt Carter whom we're not interested in. A few teams have their eyes on Jamall Lee Whom we're not interested in. A couple teams are looking for WR's which we're not interested in. Good enof for u? We're looking for good OL/DL so why not trade the picks for proven starters rather then just drafting rookies who'll probably have to sit this season before they're starter material and that's if they have it in them to become starters.

[quote="cheesegod11 umm. for instance a few teams have their eyes on Matt Carter whom we're not interested in. A few teams have their eyes on Jamall Lee Whom we're not interested in. A couple teams are looking for WR's which we're not interested in. Good enof for u? We're looking for good OL/DL so why not trade the picks for proven starters rather then just drafting rookies who'll probably have to sit this season before they're starter material and that's if they have it in them to become starters.
[/quote]
Maybe because we won't get a "proven starter" on the OL/DL for any of the names you've mentioned. Whereas, we may get a future NI starter through the draft.

I would take Rottier at 1 to backup Gauthier. And I would also take Matt Carter at 3 to fight for the backup spot behind Bauman. These would be smart picks that would improve our depth at key positions.

I wouldn't trade the picks because of the SMS. I forsee a big year for guys like Porter, Rodriguez, Thomspon, Tisdale, and Bauman. These guys will want raises. If we take on too much salary by trading our picks for vets, we may not have the $ to reward our rising stars, and as a result, we may lose them to FA.

If I'm not mistaken P-Rod and Thompson were extended, meaning no raise in the near future.

Rottier is worth the pick at #1, and I doubt any team would trade a player worth making the deal. The pick at #3 may be more attractive to be moved.

We could get a proven starter for sure for an early pick. It may not look like this: 1st overall for Dan goodspeed. But it may look more like this: 1st overall pick, conditional pick and a player for Dan Goodspeed for example. Obviously nobodies going to trade a proven starter for a pick alone but a couple small incentives on the side would help the deal come along. Fans aren't going to stand for this in a few years we'll be good stuff, they want a good team and now. We get can get a proven starter that can help us instantly and can last a few years while we train a rookie or two to take his place. Seems better then going with mostly wat we had last year and sitting Rottier or Morencie till the 2010 season. For example we take say Brendan Labatte and Dan Godspeed (although this probably won't happen) and sign a couple of rookie OL during the season and start prepping them for if some of our starting linemen leave.

What if we trade away our pick for a proven vet that only has a couple years left and we pass up drafting Rottier in the process. Then he becomes the next Dimitri Tsoumpas or Jesse Newman that start right out of the gate in their rookie season?

I would much rather keep the picks and get solid young talent than settling for a 1-2 year fix that a vet will give us, for example our new left tackle Alexandre Gauthier he is a great player but how many years are we going to get out of him?

Also you can forget about Winnipeg trading any Offensive Lineman as your example’s included, they’re the only 2 remaining 08 O-Lineman they have left… Do you really think they will trade them??

If you still think it is possible, maybe we should also sign players from your other suggestions in other threads such as…

Charles Roberts - Because he would be such a great fit here with all the lack of talent we have at that position :roll: :lol:

Tom Canada - A player who would rather retire then play in the city of Hamilton? Really?..Really? Sure we want this guy here! :roll: :lol:

Kerry Johnson - Another Bomber cast off… I see a very strange trend going on here… So from my understanding of your logic we should sign every cast off from a team who did almost as bad as us(3rd last in 08).

You should be happy we signed two bombers already! Even though both guys we signed didn’t want any part of Winnipeg anymore. Also Gauthier was one of their best lineman and wasn’t cut from the bombers he just left through free agency.

Well I think I’m done for now… but if you need anymore reasons why your logic is a bit off the path of improving this team just read the comments of your other recently created threads…

Also I’m not attacking your opinions/logic, just questioning them…

If you were listening I didn't say we should go all out and just get vets instead of rookies in the draft, I'm saying we should get a vet or two now and get a rookie or two ready to take their place after they leave cuz the rookies are likely going to have to sit the season b4 they start anyways.

There is no draft eligable players that will make our team as starters this year.

We have enough young highly drafted Canadians still developing that we can afford to trade a top pick this year for an American starter.

We need to get better NOW.

Trade to make the 2009 team better!!!

At the risk of being mocked by Gary U.S. Bonds, I won't name names
but IMO trading one of our picks is a valid option if we can get a starter.

Couldn't agree more. At least 3-4 of the teams could use more youth to develop for the future and would give up a starting vet for the 1st pick. Then we still have the 3rd and 9th picks.

I think a starting D lineman would be best.

I didn't say you said that but you are making thread wanting us to sign all these players and trade for them, sure those draft picks might take a year to be ready.

I guess both of you over looked my "what if"... so let me say it again, what if we trade our draft pick/picks and another team drafts Rottier and he starts his rookie season like Tsoumpas and Newman did for the Stamps.. the championship winning Stamps I might add. Then we are stuck with an aging vet or two that will be past their prime and basically set us back a step or to for the future..

Lets face it no team is going to give up a key starter in an average draft year. If they do it will be a dumb move... If we can get a starting player for our pick and some GM is dumb enough to make the move all the power to us.

I guess what I'm saying is your logic on how this team should move forward is completely unrealistic and fantasy league/video game GM moves.

We can't bring in these vets for picks and pay them peanuts... this is a salary cap driven league.

So I guess trying to give my point is mocking someone?

Also trying to mock my name, really hurts you know... what are we in, grade school? Do you have a couple "Yo, Mamma" jokes to add as well? - Grow up...

I never once said trading our pick wasn't a valid option, I just said his previous threads about signing all these players and wanting to trade for this player and that player was beginning to get a little out of hand and far fetched.

Now I will say it again... If a GM is dumb enough to trade one of their starters for one of our picks(1 or 3) I say go for it 100%... But lets be realistic, WHO and or WHAT would a team really give up to move up in a weak draft year for?

To be honest I would take Rottier and/or Black and wait that developmental year then trade for a past his prime vet(because you know that's the only starters we will be offered) and potentially have a future All-Star on our hands...

This is just my opinion and I wasn't mocking anyone so I don't think I deserved to to be mocked my self...

omg lol. I'm not saying we should dump all of our picks ffs. get rid of our first with a couple incentives for a vet, then draft your precious rottier 3rd who is said to need a hell of alot of development cuz he stunk in camp and then we still have our 9th too. No other team wants OL this year so they not gunna be flying off the market.

I agree with you G. For example getting an overpaid, aging Goodspeed who may not be all that motivated for a player who can imrpove special teams this year and possibly play for the Ticats for five to thirtheen years is not how you build a football team. Ticats have to get their scouting department in order and find their own import talent and be smart in the draft to build their NI talent.

This season is the "acid test" for Obilovich IMO. Yes the Ticats need to get better NOW but through hard work scouting and developing.

Where did you read I said you wanted to dump off all of our picks?

I clearly said in my first post in this thread...

"What if we trade away our pick for a proven vet that only has a couple years left and we pass up drafting Rottier in the process. Then he becomes the next Dimitri Tsoumpas or Jesse Newman that starts right out of the gate in their rookie season?"

That is exactly what I said.

Also I am more of a fan of Tristan Black than my "precious" Rottier, I just brought up Rottier as a comparison to Tsoumpas and Newman, and he is being touted as the #1 overall pick.

THANK YOU!! At least someone who understands where I'm coming from has spoken up! lol. I know there are more of you out there, this isn't the first topic about this..