Should video review be changed ?

After watching today's game, I feel that the coaches should to be able to throw a challenge for one penalty in each half of the game.

IMO, this would make officials more accountable for their calls.

As much as it would be a good idea in theory, I think the refs are confused enough as it is :slight_smile:

Besides, I think ego's would get in the way of reversing calls.

I was hoping we were going to get to vote on something else.
Just get rid of replay altogether.
Another example tonight of, despite the replay, the refs screwing up.
In fact, they got it correct live, then blow the replay.
Meanwhile, Nik Lewis makes a spectacular catch, and there was some chance they might overturn it....

Honestly, Sambo is asking for more replay to increase the accountability factor.
I think it has gone the other way, and refs are more tentative and afraid to make calls now, because they want to avoid looking silly or think, "why worry, they'll get it correct on the replay anyhow"

and I voted "no" to reviewing penalties.
They are judgement calls, and as such, it is actually almost impossible to overrule them...

I don't agree with you on this one Sambo..
Our Refs, have problems....
Same goes for other pro sports...
Yes, that means you also...NHL..
The boys in stripes are human....
The players all screw up...fix that..
You wouldn't need the refs

My thinking was that if officials make calls to cover their collective backsides.. then this change might swing the pendulum back to the center.
An example of this would be the Boulay call in the Toronto/Montreal game, if the official thinks that his call will be challenged maybe he thinks twice about throwing the flag.

I know what your saying Sambo...
But it would be undermining the Refs..
Can't have that...
Good thinking though...

Well they should at least do something to stop the constant flags and bad calls.

I vote YES! Or they should at least consider their options.

The fact is, despite replay, officials still determine the outcome of the game. Biased officials used to be able to swing the game to one side or the other by calling a catch an incompletion, for example. With video review, they can't do that. But they can still call pass interference where none exists, call holding against the offence, or disqualify a guy for making a perfectly legal tackle, and can continue to do so with impunity.

I'm not suggesting that CFL officials are biased or would do things like this on purpose, but does the fact that his error was unintentional make a loss any less damaging to a team's season?

It wouldn't even slow down the game, because you wouldn't need to increase the number of challenges allowed. It would just increase the number of reviewable calls.

I can't see how a review of a penalty would make any difference. The refs are a crew that works together. Do you really think that the head ref would want to reverse the call made by his crew? No likely. Further, I am not sure the replays have added to the game except to slow it down. How many times have you heard there was not enough evidence to change the call?

They make the calls on their own judement. If they think it's a penalty they won't reverse it.

The same logic would apply to every challenged call yet they will overturn themselves........ I think everything should be challengable, but still only 2 per game

I voted no because I think it’d just add more confusion to the game, and at this point, that’s the last think we need!

IMO, if we are going to have video review, every play should be reviewable, aside from accountability for the officials, it also makes the coaches be more judicious in what they challenge, the stuff they challenge makes you scratch your head, you are thinking, why did he challenge that?

How about having an official (based in the media box) do the challenge replays, instead of the officiating crew on the field? Gets rid of any judgement call bias that the on-field ref may have, since the official upstairs doesn't have a formal connection to the call on the field. When he makes a ruling, he simply calls it down to the field (would need to install a telephone on the sideline, but that can't be any harder than setting up the video replay machine they have now).

A good idea Kris

I agree with Kris as well, many times officials will huddle up to discuss a call, and we have seen occassions where they pick up the flag and wave off the infraction. Having an official in the booth who can call down to the head referee is a good idea and shouldn't prolong the game too much. If it is, then you know darn well the crew on the field isn't doing a good job.

re-kristjan wrote-How about having an official (based in the media box) do the challenge replays, instead of the officiating crew on the field? Gets rid of any judgement call bias that the on-field ref may have, since the official upstairs doesn't have a formal connection to the call on the field. When he makes a ruling, he simply calls it down to the field (would need to install a telephone on the sideline, but that can't be any harder than setting up the video replay machine they have now).------

:thup: :thup: :thup:

It looks like Kris gets the stamp of approval for that one.
I’ve wondered about that myself, but never put it on paper.
Does not the NHL use remote review?
The on ice official never makes the call.
And I think it actually saves time, as the booth guys can be already looking at a close play before a challenge is made.

Certainly worth “reviewing” the idea…

Well they do overturn calls right now, and they are calls made by their fellow crew mates. There may be only one or two replay calls that I disagree with. The fact that so often there is not enough evidence is often do to the fact that the orginial call was most likely correct.

I mean if you can not change a call when you have multiple views and slow motion, then maybe what the ref saw in that .5 of a second was what happened…

Yes, the NHL does have such a person; the ‘Video Goal Judge.’ When its not clear to the referees on the ice whether the puck has gone into the net, they call upstairs to the Goal Judge, he reviews all the angles (including a net cam), and then makes a ruling down to ice level.