Should the city of Hamilton offer the Pan-Am games stadium

Hey DB, just looking for some honest debate on this topic, honestly, no ulterior motives.

not_a_bengal, I think London might come into play as I doubt they would turn away Bob Young. TD Waterhouse would need a lot of upgrading but the groundwork is there with it being in a beautiful location on Western’s campus.

No, this stadium belongs in Hamilton. IWS is a dump.
The argos had their chance(s) to build a stadium and didin't. They'll have to do it by themselves, not by charity from the good people of Hamilton.

Taxpayers money has already gone to Skydome and BMO field, certainly not going to a third stadium when other cities need it more.

It is not a Dump
IWS is Canada’s Lambeau Field
BC Place is just another Dome Stadium…

Yeah, and when Lambeau field became a dump, they invested nearly 300 million dollars…
Kinda like they’re doing in BC with BC place.
I’m just saying.

IWS may have been something years and years ago...

but to me it seems amaturish .. i liked the games i been to at IWS but Hamilton needs a Pro-Looking modern stadium ..
We got some High School Bleachers down here that look better ...

But ya it's old it's falling apart and its time to become more modern ...

The Argo's can get it done ..they will be ok ... It's Hamiltons turn now

Yes, Hamilton’s turn for sure and yes, IWS would need a Lambeau type upgrade to make it worthy. Let’s face it, it’s a great stadium for viewing wise but wooden bench seating with divots out of the wood and magic markers for numbers don’t quite cut the mustard. Some bench seating in the new stadium, no problem, Lambeau has lots, but aluminum with real numbers.

AKG wrote: "......As for a shared stadium, that would be the death of the Ticats for many and isn't an option".

AKG:  I agree 100 percent.

Teams in the CFL have survived because of community spirit.
How can there be any community spirit when the stadium is not in the community.....or worse when an out of town stadium is shared with another team?
If that happens, it would not only be the death of the Tiger-Cats, it would be the death of the blue team too.
We have to get away from these grand compromises. They are nothing but death wishes.
Unless fans and others in Hamilton stand up and say they want the Tiger-Cats in the city (even it means using IWS for a few more years), we can kiss this team goodbye. We have great local ownership and a solid fan base. We have a competitive team in the making and the future looks good. Why would we want to jeopardize all this by using a shared stadium out of town?
So let's forget this defeatist attitude about sharing stuff with the poor blue team.
The Pan-Am stadium is a good opportunity for new digs...but only if it is in the city. If it's not in Hamilton we should wish the Games well and make the most of IWS.
Not an ideal situation but better than throwing in the towel and assuring the end of the team and its historical role as part of the fabric of Hamilton.

Don’t forget that Skydome was built mainly from Provincial TAXPAYERS dollars - $600Million in 89, the most expensive stadium ever built at the time. In todays dollars probably over a Billion. Yes us taxpayers outside of Toronto paid for the Skydome.
The Provincial government then sold it for $150 million, to a private consortium and they went belly up and it was then let go for $25 million to Rogers.

It'll be interesting if any party in Toronto increases the RC by 10-15 thousand and make it more NFL friendly rather than MLB friendly, basically make it into an NFL first stadium. Goodell didn't say that Toronto needed a new stadium, just that they have stadium issues with the current stadium. But I doubt anyone will pay what surely would be some $50 mill minimum to get it to NFL standards without a team in hand and in the process probably peeve off Blue Jay fans where more quaint and intimate surroundings are in the order for baseball. Can you imagine 12,000 people in the RC for a mid-wek baseball game in a 65,000 seat stadium. Yikes, that would be like the old Philly Memorial Stadium I think it was called, it looked horrible for baseball.

Its clear you want an NFL team for Toronto, The Fact is The SKY DOME was built for the ARGOS and the Blue Jays. With Ontario Taxpayer Money it is historical fact.Why Rogers acquired it for a measly 25 million is another topic. It will be interesting to see how the Braley Ownership deal,s with roger,s.

Earl wants an NFL team for Toronto :roll: Wow. just wow.

I'm not very bright, can one of you IQ geniuses here tell me exactly from what I said that it concludes I want an NFL team for Toronto? I'm dying to understand your logic. Please, feel free...
BTW, when I say interesting, that doesn't mean I want to see this happen, it just means it's interesting, nothing more, nothing less. Curiosity, interest, not wishing.

Guess you misinterpreted my post. I was questioning any suggestion that you are pushing for an NFL team. Guess you have to be face to face to voice sarcasm at times

Re -Earl_"It'll be interesting if any party in Toronto increases the RC by 10-15 thousand and make it more NFL friendly rather than MLB friendly, basically make it into an NFL first stadium. Goodell didn't say that Toronto needed a new stadium, just that they have stadium issues with the current stadium" This appeared to be wish full thinking,Earl IMO the issue for the NFL is more likely attendance (payed) for, at the Bill,s games. . I believe that the focus should be on making the Argo,s landlords more CFL friendly! Forget about kissing up to Goodall. If the NFL has no qualms about screwing Buffalo fan,s then why should anyone in Canada want anything to do with them, be it "Interesting" or not!

This thread is way out of date now.
David Braley was quoted earlier this week as saying he wants to use the Rogers Centre.
Toronto Sun Feb 10th: " The Argos are close to signing a new lease with the Rogers Centre and Braley has no designs to look for a smaller, more intimate stadium. "

Now...if we could only convince the Rogers people to put up a picture of a member of the Blue team outside....rather than the Bills. :cry:

Fair enough guys and my "interesting" was in sarcasm as well meaning, thankfully, I don't see anyone or group changing the RC into an NFL type stadium.

Now...if we could only convince the Rogers people to put up a picture of a member of the Blue team outside....rather than the Bills

Yes mr62, if they did that I might actually respect Rogers more than I do now which is about zilch.

Couldn’t agree more!

I can’t stand seeing that everytime I drive past on the Gardiner! It feels treasonous to me.

Talk about an over reaction. For better or worse Rogers owns the Bills rights not the Argos. Get over it

Cap’n: I won’t be shedding any tears for Rogers when this Bills experiment fails completely. They had nothing but dollar signs and an NFL franchise in their eyes when it began. Now it looks like the good people of Toronto couldn’t care less about the Bills and chances of a franchise are about zero given Roger Goodell’s comment about it recently.
It has been a PR disaster for Rogers who look like they sold out to the NFL at the expense of the CFL.

I won't shed any tears either.