Should the CFL play a game internationally?

Fans in Vegas would not even show up for the exciting UFL Locomotives games.

No way would they show up for a CFL game.

" Never again" by BCRF are the best words to sum this whole thing up.

I have always said they should play a game in Hawaii.
The problem is Honolulu, where I believe the U of H stadium that was always used for the Pro Bowl is way too small and cannot be increased to our dimensions.

The CFL and AFL (Australian Rules Football) should host an exchange.
They host a CFL game in Australia and a CFL team hosts a AFL game here.
I would love to see an AFL game. It looks like a crazy and fun game.

TSN has already broadcasted taped delay games during the season Saturday Nights.

Any game in the US would be stupid, but why would you choose the most isolated market? What sense does that make?

I thought of the same thing.

I know I would definitely show up to a CFL game in the states if it was relatively close. Oakland comes to mind. There are MANY Canadians in the Bay Area (~350,000). If it was promoted properly, ex-players from the area who played in the CFL (Biletnikoff, Kapp, Garcia) could be recruited to help promote it. There are also lots of lesser known players who originated from around here. It could even be held as a Canada Day event since those are somewhat popular.

The only place that could do it is Yankee stadium as they already host MLS games .

But only if the game is sponsored by some big cheese . Let ESPN be the leader and orchestrate it . If they can get sponsors like Hyundai , Nissan , Coke or whatever they could pull it off and hopefully get a respectful number to attend the televised game on their main ESPN channel none of this ESPN2 or 3 rink a dink .

If they won't put up some effort then forget it . You need a valid partnership in the states to pull this off properly and even then it's shaky .

Actually, the only football stadium in the US that can accommodate a CFL field is the Alamo Dome in San Antonio, the former home of the defunct SA Texans.

I love AFL.

Now, I think they had an AFL exhibition game at BC Place back in the 80's.

However, that is the only stadium that could hold an AFL game.

With the huge AFL size field, the stadium has to be configured.

The field at the Melbourne Cricket Grounds - where I saw an AFL game once - is HUGE.

It is 171 meters (187 yards) long and 146 meters (160 yards) wide. More than double the width of a CFL field.

What's the purpose of an International game other than to lose money? :-*

Maybe isolated distance wise, but there have been a lot of players from that beautiful state in our league, not to mention the most notable of late coach June Jones and Chad Owens.
Owens has been followed extensively in our league by the islanders.
From a personal point of view, been there a few times and love the people and the different islands.
I would go again if my Argos were to play.
Aloha.

Right.

Just a bad idea.

Pointless but the good thing is let's not toss and turn over it.

It will never happen.

Argos have already hosted a game in Fort McMurray. You need to let other teams get in on the exotic locales.

The only reason to do this is to gain exposure and try to expand TV revenue in the US.

So in theory, if you don't encounter any issues with the labour laws, you can market it and pull a decent crowd and if you are going to do this.

You also have to do it during the summer, when US Football is non-existent.

Even then, I think it's a tough sell, really the only places I can see making sense are Buffalo, Seattle and maybe Baltimore (because of the history) because you might still be able to pull from your existing base for one of these one offs.

A game in Europe or Japan in July or August would be alright if a sponsor could be found to cover all the costs. Otherwise, no.

How many people would you expect in Seattle - 2,000? Family and friends? Can we put this topic to bed?

I think the problem, or 'a' problem if you will, is that too many people internationally would have the perception, unfortunate perception, just like a portion in Canada do, that Canadians just aren't that great of football players and requiring so many Canadians on the team and to start just doesn't cut the mustard. I honestly think that there are a portion of people out there that believe that non-NFL players are in their minds "2nd rate" and Canadians after that are "3rd rate", on average, which is very unfortunate.

I agree with BCRF.

Lets just stop this. It is a non issue and topic.

Dumb idea. Not happening.

Wait, I take it back.

Let's try Sofia , Bulgaria. That would work.

Highly likely that’s all that would happen. Possibly even erode the brand or image of the CFL if attendance sucks. Very high risk.

Would be very nice to see a non-NFL (but large) city welcome and co-promote a CFL game, but unless it’s tied to an expansion possibility there, I can’t see any locals getting behind it. All the heavy lifting and cost of marketing etc would have to come from the CFL. And if they could afford that, then they could simply spend that money and effort at home and increase awareness where the existing CFL teams need it.

While we’re on the subject of CFL in other markets (US, or wherever), it makes me think that the current generalized attitudes of ‘I only watch NFL’ or ‘CFL sucks or is a lesser product’ or even the oft Canadian attitude of ‘CFL or nothing’ - ALL of these attitudes hurts our CFL and the category of pro football in general.

Why can’t we all be fans of pro football in North America, and enjoy both? I’m finding that my interest currently in the NFL playoffs and now SuperBowl - is seriously fanning the flames for my CFL too. I’m MORE excited about training camp and the 2018 season here - BECAUSE the NFL is currently in our face. Obviously we purchase tickets here where out teams are, and loyally watch our game - but why does there need to be an attitude of supremacy or derision - when it comes to one or the other? Maybe I’m simplifying things too much but I think the entire category of football and football interest will grow - if football fans accepted (vs rejected) the differences of each league - and simply enjoyed watching pro football. Imagine what the TV ratings would be if more Americans tuned in to begin getting their football fix in the spring on TV here, when their game isn’t even available to them yet.