Should the CFL pivot from Halifax and expand to Chicago?

They can ... but not with potential owners of a scale trying for NFL, Chelsea, etc. ... it would be the equivalents of the non-MLSE owners already in the league ... potential owners capable of bidding for NFL, NBA, MLB or even NHL teams would not have any interest in a CFL franchise IMO.

1 Like

What are you talking about? You missed that Larry Tannenbaum tried to buy Chelsea. There are NHL owners that have an interest in football like Tom Dundon who backed the AAF, Ted Leonis that floated two arena football teams to keep his son employed. The Avs' owner Stan Kroenke owns the San Diego Chargers. They know Football is a money maker. Somebody in MLSE could find new investors in the CFL. MLSE found a buyer the Alouettes, I'm positive they can find new owners

1 Like

Point of clarification - Dean Spanos Owns the Chargers Kroenke owns the Rams -

2 Likes

I agree...like the Schooner group that were owners of the Coyotes...All Canadians ...like Tannenbaum.

1 Like

I didn't say they couldn't find owners ... just that I seriously doubt that failed bidders for the Denver Broncos (as was previously suggested), or for other teams in leagues of similar financial/prestige stature, would have any interest in a CFL franchise ... someone legitimately shopping for a limited edition "supercar" doesn't often then visit the local Toyota dealership looking for a Corolla as an alternative.

Community ownership could be a possibility if there were sufficient interest or it would have to be a pet project for a "more modestly" rich multimillionaire than the NFL bidders.

It is not intended as a "slam" on the CFL, just IMO a more realistic perspective on the CFL's place in the hierarchy of "rich boys' toys" (intentionally sexist PURELY for the alliteration).

1 Like

I agree

2 Likes

We just had the rich boys try and buy into the CFL via a merger - and that didn't really go so well for Redbird which has tons of money, media contacts and the most famous and beloved movie star on the planet as their front man - and CFL fans lost their shit - and rightfully so wanting to flush 100 years of tradition for a league that couldn't get through a season - that said it might be a little bit of a challenge finding someone to buy into a franchise in the States -

1 Like

The XFL owners (The Rock, Gerry Cardinale, and Dany Garcia) fall into the top-end of the "more modestly" rich of the major sports ownership class (perhaps $1.5 billion in total net worth) ... 1% of that would be a major lottery win for we common folk ... but nowhere near NFL money

2 Likes