Should the CFL pivot from Halifax and expand to Chicago (and/or other US cities)?

Good points - but I don’t see the CFL as being any of those - Most Americans have never been exposed to three down football - And those that I have crossed paths with that have been exposed to it seemed to like it -

4 Likes

I don’t think that’s realistic at all. I’d peg that number at 3-5k per game, maybe double that when the Riders hit town.

I think there’s good reason to think they wouldn’t like it as much as they like 4-down XFL, USFL, AAF, UFL, WLAF, etc. . . . and we all know how successful those leagues were.

1 Like

Canadians should be open to dropping the ratio if they want the game to improve. The ratio to me does not define the “Canadian” in CFL and hinders the league. No casual fan watching knows or cares whether someone who just caught a touchdown pass is Canadian or not, unless the announcer mentions it. Even though I know I don’t care and only care that it is my team that scored. We need to cut the artificial crap and allow teams to put the best players on the field possible, including Canadians, in case someone again mistakenly thinks I am advocating for their banishment. The NHL doesn’t limit Swedes or Russians and the quality of play is better for it, as it would be for the CFL. Economics would be far better too and that alone means better players and probably even more players staying longer with the same team.

For example, Couture received $180,000 as a Canadian olineman. Burnham received $160,000ish while I believe Trevor Harris received $125,000. Seriously, which of these players have more of an impact on a game? I know that can be argued both ways but I speculate that Couture would earn between $100,000-$140,000 if there were no ratio rules to artificially pump up his salary. And Couture would probably be a Canadian who could play in the league without a ratio rule.

As an old timer, I don’t like freezing my ass off in -20 or worse weather in November to watch a game that I can see for free in my living room with cheap liquor and cheap hot food. And cold weather cities like Winnipeg and Regina deserve the GC game arguably more than other cities in which the populace doesn’t care. A GC in beautiful fall weather, as football is meant to be played in, is the answer. Football is not a winter sport and the most important games should not be played in the worst conditions.

The ‘93-‘95 expansion doesn’t scare me. The expansion that I am advocating is a more controlled, smart expansion. I definitely wouldn’t support the 90’s style expansion that appears to have been necessitated by the league’s horrible financial woes at the time. My vision for expansion is shaped with a view to avoiding having the CFL ever be in that position again.

4 Likes

The draft is certainly one problem that would need to be addressed, but the other benefits would more than eclipse this issue. The draft could stay where it is and players could join teams after the draft if management thought they were good enough to do so. The CFL used to bring in NFL players en masse in the past after final cuts and cut many roster players at Labour Day, after which their contracts became guaranteed. This happened for decades.

You say there is no demand for a CFL franchise in the US at the moment. Perhaps you are right. But we know with 100% certainty that there is no demand for another Canadian franchise. I always preface my expansion wishlist by saying a Canadian franchise would be preferable, even though I am really not sure why. I do say that if there is a solid US franchise opportunity available that the league should take it (without changing the rules of the game as I suggested). Remember that Halifax was awarded a CFL expansion franchise in the early 1980’s, I believe. I hear that they are just sorting out some paperwork.

2 Likes

Sorting out since 1984. Is the scoreboard still in the Atlantic Ocean?

Doesn’t make sense to draft a player after the season starts (he needs a training camp and/or preseason).

You want players that can start asap.

June to November works just fine. You get the 6 best teams however format you use in the November tournament.

May the “best” team win.

1 Like

Winter officially starts December 21st.

It might be cold in November but it’s probably colder in December onwards in the prairie provinces.

Can’t just keep the Grey Cup in Winnipeg and Regina all the time because of the larger fanbase.

The 3 large Canadian markets need to be involved as well in the rotation.

Ignoring Toronto for years eventhough they had Skydome available from 1993 to 2005 also set the CFL back years.

No need to expand to the US if it requires changes to the rules.

Not sure if US expansion is even on the agenda right now.

1 Like

It’s very easy to dictate to multimillionaires to invest in the CFL with a salary cap less than 6 million, BTW we don’t play on Sunday, only 3 downs, huge endzones…oh ya you gotta build a 25K stadium. Let’s hope this experiment lasts more than 3 years this time.
Just send your 5 million expansion check to Randy Ambrosie.

I’m not saying keep the GC in Winnipeg and Regina all the time, but rather have it there at least as often as anywhere else, and probably more. I don’t see how it’s fair to keep it in the big cities that can’t draw flies and have management that is inept or doesn’t care. The game is bigger in the smaller markets and so is the GC party. I don’t think where the game is played matters to TV viewers.

On that point, recent posts indicated that the biggest TV market for the CFL is Saskatchewan, not Toronto. It also appears that community owned Sask and Winnipeg will be paying MLSE and their poor private owners equalization payments starting next season. So if money talks, that argument also favours the game being out west more often. It will put more money in the pockets of the CFL and help TV ratings at the same time, which would presumably put more money in the pockets of the league and owners and players down the road.

We’ve already had the discussion about the “official” start date of winter. Unfortunately Mother Nature often seems to misplace her calendar and November can be bloody cold on the prairies. October is just fine. Fall football vs winter football.

I’m also not sure if US expansion is on the agenda right now, but if not it should be as Canadian expansion is dead in the water. My primary argument is that these things need to be looked at seriously and acted upon if it looks worthwhile. Keeping the status quo just because it is the status quo is a sure recipe for failure in virtually anything. Just ask the motor vehicle or phone or computer industries. Or the Roman Empire. I’m not advocating change for the sake of change as that makes no sense, but it also doesn’t make sense to be opposed to change just because something has always been done a certain way. And the CFL has changed monumentally in 100 or so years in many ways, including the GC game, so we wouldn’t be where we are today without change.

2 Likes

Maybe Mother Nature has it in for the prairies or it’s telling them get a “dome” someone will cover the tab somewhere :joy::rofl::sweat_smile::beers:

1 Like

The CFL would not be competing with the NFL - I go back to the Vancouver Giants, Calgary Hitmen, Edmonton Oil Kings, Winnipeg ICE, Seattle Thunderbirds - All are WHL teams in NHL markets - So why would hockey fans go to a lower level of hockey when you have the strongest hockey league on the planet? Price point oil kings tickets top out at $40+ and Oilers Tickets start at $66 - If I wanted to hit a WHL game with the wife and kids or take the grandkids to a hockey game I can get into an Oil Kings game for $100 for a few people - Oilers tickets whole different game -

CFL in an NFL city like Chicago is working with the same dynamic - price point and a different customer base due to price point - You don’t need to sell 60,000 tickets you need to sell about 20k and get on American TV and also be geographically located close to Ontario so you don’t bleed the other franchises in travel costs -

3 Likes

Fargo is too a small of a market to get a TV contract from a US Network. Need Chicago, Seattle and New York to get that US TV contract. LA is too far, but they don’t care for Football at all

2 Likes

Except the Raiders are the most popular team in LA over the Rams and Chargers combined.

Who would have thunk it?

Tulsa, Louisville and Omaha are too small of TV markets. That is why the NFL has never set up shop there. The CFL needs to think BIG to secure the US TV contract

Price might be a factor in choosing between an NHL game and the WHL.

Can go to a Warriors and/or Giants game for around $25 a ticket while a Canucks game has the lowest price at $40 against Buffalo and the highest was $145.00 against the Leafs in the same section.

Just threw in the Warriors. If you happen to live near any of the NLL teams do check them out.

Won’t be disappointed that’s for sure.:beers:

3 Likes

This might work if CFL teams were able to pay their players like the WHL teams pay their players. But that’s about as likely as 9 new domed stadiums in CFL cities for 2023.

The USFL is using Birmingham hub as a demonstration approach to secure ownership for the the other USFL franchises aimed at their respective cities.

The CFL can use that approach or solicit potential owners in that market. Once Illinois allows more sports gambling, a Chicago owner could get on board the CFL train

2 Likes

Can’t. Because the NFL plays 4 downs while we play 3 downs. We should never switch to 4 downs because the CFL has always stuck to the original rules of gridiron football. It was the US that diverted away

2 Likes

You are probably right on the TV market point. An infrequent poster from Fargo made several good arguments in favour of that city a few months ago, including ready made venue, not a lot of college football competition and proximity to Bombers and Riders. I suggested at least looking at it. It certainly wouldn’t be the anchor expansion franchise, but might be a decent complimentary one close to the biggest fan base in the CFL. If they signed William Macy that might help the TV ratings as well.

1 Like

You could tap into American markets without putting a team in the US by putting an expansion team (or two) in a Canadian city near the border. The CFL could, for example, put a franchise in Windsor and market the team in Detroit as well. They could offer packages that would include along with tickets, bus (coach) service to and from the stadium to pickup/drop off points in Detroit (making it easier for US fans to cross the border to see a game). If the CFL does put a team (or two) in the US, they should try NYC as it has large (and diverse) enough population to be able to support a CFL team amongst the other sports franchises. Might be able to attract football fans there if the team played in the city itself (instead of having to drive to New Jersey as NFL fans do). Should be able to find a suitable soccer stadium that would fit a CFL field. Just some thoughts. Personally not really crazy about the idea of the CFL going back into the US, but might be worth a shot if done right. Would try the Canadian boarder cities idea first (Windsor, St. Catharines).

3 Likes