Should Popp Retire After This Season Is Over?

Are you going to follow him around and post the same thing behind him in every thread ?

[i]Who the hell is Johnny Whatever? :cowboy:

This is a good point of debate. But North Carolina Bomberino, if we’ re gonna talk about a GM that should have retired (before he was fired)…

MEMBA HIM?

http://cfl.uploads.mrx.ca/league/images/en/newser/2010/01/Joe_Mack_2010_25036.jpg

[/i]

At this point, I would not oppose Popp as HC/GM. He'd certainly be an upgrade on Higgins.

Heck, so would I.

And I’m willing to work cheap, too.

Why do our offensive formations not include any creative use of bigger players (TE and extra OL)? Why don’t we have RBs and Fbs chip-blocking on pass protection? Why is there no slide-protection to change Cato’s launchpoint and put those D-linemen in a chase position?

Don’t tell me it’s because Schonert is still “installing” things. Look at Cortez in BC, Chapdelaine in Saskatchewan, and Maas in Ottawa. All three are in their first years as OCs of their respective teams and the offences look mature, developed, and CFL-savvy.

Eff these ex-NFL guys. Honestly, I don’t want to see another ex-NFL coordinator hired by Montreal. In the offseason, make a strong, dedicated pitch for Marcus Brady as HC and de facto OC. Young, creative offensive mind, was groomed by us (sob), worked under the best CFL minds of the past decade, and knows the league inside and out. Get Brady in here, pair him with Anthony, and let them go to work.

While Saskatchewan ranks first in the CFL on offence, BC ranks seventh and Ottawa eight.-Montreal number 6- Saskatchewan ranks first both in passing and running yardage. Ottawa ranks fifth in passing and last in running. BC ranks last in passing yardage and second in running.

Richard

LOL, ok, sure, use those absurd rankings that don't actually look at game-to-game performance or, you know, points scored. :lol:

And Saskatchewan is 0-7.

“There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.”
Benjamin Disraeli

And, in the match against Ottawa, the D deservedly got a large share of the blame.

I will say, though, that the D was not the problem against Edmonton. Yes, Thorpe was still going with 3 down linemen lots of times, but it was better than what he had been doing, against Ottawa especially. Against Ottawa, it was not a true 3/4, as in 3 linemen and 4 LBs, it was still 4 linemen, but one of those lineman was backed off to a LB position where he was clearly not suited (Knapton, Kitchens).

Against Edmonton, it was more of a true 3/4 defence; the 4 LBs being Cox and Venable outside, and Hebert and Elsworth as the 2 MLBs. That’s better, and even when in the 3/4 defence, Thorpe frequently had one of the LBs blitzing (or a DB) so that we still had at least 4 rushing the passer. Big improvement over what we had seen previously.

Yes, I agree that our D was greatly improved against the Esks. The addition Of Kyries Hebert and Venable was a big factor in this. Kyries Hebert had a huge game, used as a rushing linebacker, he was in the ESKS backfield all evening with tackles and QB sacks. At times the 4 down line was used and, at times and, at times 3 DL but, the latter had Hebert and Elsworth rushing. Even considering Shaw's missed FGs, our defense matched that of the ESKS defense. Mitchell White also was a component of this better mix. On the other hand, our offense failed as Elworth scored the out only major with his defensive TD. The offensive team was impotent and has to take the credit for the loss.

Well, to be fair the last ex NFL co-ordinator that Montreal hired was none other than Marc Trestman. Dan Hawkins had no NFL experience, he was a washed out college football coach whose only success had been at Boise St, then a WAC conference team that had no competition in their college schedules. The real Hawkins was what happened when he ran the Colorado University football program into the ground (still haven’t recovered to this day), so bad that he was outcast from any college jobs period and had been completely out of football 3 years when he got brought here, which is why I wondered why he was brought on in the first place.

Now that’s no pitch to hire any current NFL coordinators, but just saying it’s about hiring the man who’s got the right brains for football, not the one holding out his hands looking for a job.

The problem is hiring guys just because they were once in the NFL. Not saying it can't ever work -- Trestman was a good example -- but you have to look at what they did in the NFL. For every Trestman, there are 10 Schonerts, Mike Millers, or Bart Andruses who were utter flops down south. Trestman was very successful as an NFL OC; the others were not.

The key IMO is whether they were creative risk takers or By the “NFL book” coaches.

Creative coaches (from both sides of the ball) have demonstrated the ability to think outside the box and are more likley to adapt to the differences in the CFL game.