Should Older Players be Given a Break?

"Former Rider Jon Ryan accuses Randy Ambrosie of ‘trying to destroy Canadian content’ after being replaced by Global punter."

2 Likes

IMHO I'd bring in a 'Man of Steel (getting rusty)' contract that incentivizes teams to keep some of their big name older players playing. Guys like Jon Ryan could play when they're healthy and be paid just for those games. Any player over 40 could be disignated, 'Past BB Date' and not counted as an import. Non-imports who reach that age could be given something akin to 'Global' status.

2 Likes

If there were no Global players it's likley the Riders would have moved on with another younger player they can pay less weather if he's Canadian or not.

Many sports I find are going younger and less expensive as time goes on. Aside from playing for whoever wants to sign him at what price I don't think there's much he can do.

2 Likes

Too bad if he has to go out this way. Best punter in CFL history, in my opinion.

1 Like

"We're all told at some point in time that we can no longer play the children's game, we just don't know when that's gonna be.

Some of us are told at eighteen, some of us are told at forty, but we're all told." -Moneyball

If Ryan was 28 I would agree with him and the destruction of Canadian Content - but Ryan is 40 - Ryan punched out a solid 2 decade football career in the NFL and CFL - Time to hang it up -

5 Likes

I think Global players on the active roster should be making the same minimum as Nationals and Americans.

5 Likes

That would be fair. I wouldn't expect some athlete from overseas to get too excited over the wages we're offering in any case (not when soccer stars are earning enough to buy their own countries).

1 Like

Only if they are starters. Most of these guys can't play 3 Down football. The Global players don't even get paid in the home country leagues, The $54,000 the Global get is a boon to to them

3 Likes

Like American and Canadian minimums, the Global salaries are negotiated and agreed to in the CBA. Globals have no representation, so it is not a surprised they are getting less money. Them getting paid less is also an incentive for teams to play them.

Kaare Vedvik who is replacing Jon Ryan had little regular season NFL experience, but he must have some talent because he had been signed by 8 different NFL teams. Vedvik is 13 years younger than Ryan, has experience place kicking, and is much cheaper. Ryan was probably the most expensive punter in the league.

3 Likes

That makes sense to me, too. Though I'd perhaps bump up the Global minimum to the regular minimum for active players who have served one season at the Global minimum?

I'm thinking that someone like Thiadric Hansen, who contributes a lot on ST and who regularly gets inserted into the rotation on D shouldn't be earning less than the Americans who play the same role.

4 Likes

I’m not sure paying internationals less is a problem, as has been pointed out. The whole experiment has yielded very little, Thiadric Hansen aside, and arguably the league should be spending little money on it.

I would suggest that a far bigger pay inequity problem exists, namely artificially paying Canadian starters more than their American counterparts as a result of the ratio rule.

I don’t think the USFL Soviet style solution of paying everyone the same is workable either. That may work initially, but players who excel and are unable to move up to the NFL may not be happy for very long being paid the same as a lesser talent.

As I think about this more from this perspective, I am not very worried about internationals being paid less nor do I think it is necessarily unfair.

2 Likes

This thread started because a National punter wants protection against competition from Global punters winning jobs from Nationals. In just two seasons, most teams have found Global players who outperform Americans to earn their playing time. Let's see where we're at after 5 or 10 seasons. To me, it's a longterm investment that's already yielded small dividends on the field.

Having said that, I'm in favour of the status quo regarding mandated active roster Global spots; i.e., let's keep it at one for the time being and reevaluate after a few years. Heck, several times last season teams chose to dress and play more than the one minimum Global. Let's leave it at that.

4 Likes

I’m not sure I share your optimism about the global program, but I’m not suggesting it be abandoned necessarily either, as long as the resources invested aren’t that great. I have nothing against the concept, but I don’t think the CFL by itself will move the football needle much in other countries. Realistically I think other countries will develop some football talent if they see the NFL as a possibility, and generally that is all they are familiar with football wise. The CFL could still benefit as most wouldn’t make the NFL but some of those might be able to play in the CFL. I still have my long term doubts but let’s see what happens.

3 Likes

I love Hansen. He has got to step it up into the next level. Hansen is truly a diamond in the rough

2 Likes

Hansen, age 29 (since we're talking about older players) finally broke into the starting rotation at the end of last season as an injury replacement. I think he did a great job. His reward was another Grey Cup along with the extra playoff money that comes from getting there. He likes it here in Bomber Town so the odds are good that we'll get him back during or after free agency with a 'raise' of some sort.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Thiadric Hansen will be the highest paid Global player in the CFL when the season starts.

3 Likes

Most sports tend to favour younger players
It's just the way it is

The global players is complicated
I understand why CFL supports it but do not know if it really matters that much

3 Likes

With all those 'other' football leagues threatening to spring up and steal all the football players I think the CFL is THAT close to looking under rocks for talent. While the Global Initiative hasn't turned out to be a great source of talent just yet... any source is a good source if it eventually works out right?

2 Likes

CFL does sell ads and games international so one would expect if a global player actually makes the roster it might give a small pop

I just think (pessimistically) most of the world has fallen for the NFL
No offence to those who watch it, it just is not the same game

2 Likes

I don't think that the CFL is that close to looking under rocks for players - the CFL needs about 200 American players as the CFL is currently constructed - the USA has 900 Colleges and Junior Colleges playing football - I think that for the time being the CFL is going to get the upper tier of players that don't end up on NFL practice rosters -

1 Like

Thiadric Hansen himself has been quoted as saying that he didn't know there was a Canadian Football League until he was invited to try out. While the NFL is well known worldwide it seems that the CFL needs to make itself better known to the rest of the world. While the publicity generated so far may not be significant it may be the beginning of more exposure and possibly revenue in the future. Let's see how things look in a few more years. Also, I agree that a lower salary for global players is not a good look for the league. Does anyone know if the NFL has a similar system for players from outside the USA and Canada?

4 Likes