Should CFL try the CFN again?

This is spot on! Now that being said, I know that typically TSN does replay all games very early the next morning (correct me if I'm wrong) but why not have a online streaming service where you pay ex dollars a month or year that will allow you to stream full replays of games and TV specials from the past week to years ago and add special subscribers only content to entice fans to pay for such a service?

Youtube has 57 of the 81 games in 2015 in their entirety, from what I see, usually posted a day after the game. Hopefully, they'll have all games this year.

The ONLY reason I have satellite at all is the CFL. If I didn't want TSN I'd be happy with antenna and Netflix. So I would far prefer a cheaper CFL or TSN online subscription.

Though online subscriptions aren't available now, I really believe they will be in the future. As a Bell customer, I can watch games on TSN go live. Not sure, but perhaps if you have you internet service through Bell, you'd be able to watch games online.

TSN GO requires you have TSN in a cable subscription.

That'll probably change some day, as cord cutting continues to grow.

I would pay.

I do watch TSN on-line but I am using my sisters Rogers account to log in. It doesn't matter if you have Bell internet or any other internet service. You need to have TSN as part of your package to watch it on-line.
If you cut the cord and have internet only you can't watch TSN. I brought this up before, that if you are in Canada and you don't subscribe to TSN you can't watch CFL football but if you are in the US you can watch most CFL games on ESPN3 on the internet without an ESPN account since all internet providers carry ESPN3.
I think TSN will eventually lift the restriction and allow anyone on the internet to watch TSN, it just means showing ads during streaming.

That's not how I remember it at all, granted it was 30 years ago and memories fade, but I was in the biz at the time (worked for a network but did some contract work for TSN) and thought CFN was nothing special to call home about.

In fact, there seems to be some sort of revisionist thinking that the CFL broadcasts weren't good. They were quite good but they were the same as TSN is right now (just missing that extra special something extra). Why doesn't TSN use more graphics like Fox, eye in the sky cams and cameras on the goal posts.

The quality of the equipment these days is so good that it seems TSN almost feels they dont have to be innovative and just coast along on the same old setup. Thats something I`ve never understood.

Seeing as you use CenturyLink in the US, how are you able to log in to TSN without being geo blocked? I know how, do you? Why do I get the feeling you read one of my posts and are making this up as you go.

And you need to use one of the providers TSN allows access to log into live streaming. Whether they all have TSN or not neither you nor I know that. I assume they do.

I must say you are one of the best posters on this forum because I still don't know whether you are one of the best trolls going or the dumbest poster on God's green earth. And for that I salute you.

We should have at least 1 "Game of the Week" and use extra Cameras and a 4K broadcast for those of us that have it. I spent the money last year on a new TV and it is very good. I am told 4K even better and will look forward to this for the CFL telecasts.

TSN is a great CFL partner but it is unfair to the CFL for TSN/Bell to make all the money. TSN is a multi - billion dollar industry. How many of the 10 or 11 million TSN subscribers are there because of the CFL. Me for sure.

Thanks, as I said, I wasn't sure.

I do believe that eventually they will allow people to subscribe to online viewing for a monthly fee. Probably just waiting for CRTC approval.

CFN's coverage was comparable to what was standard at that time. They had excellent play-by-play in Hodge and Irving, fair to middlin' colour in Lumsden and Bastaja, some decent graphics and game intros but otherwise it was about what CBC was doing and what CTV had done before it. It was not some innovative, brilliant new approach.

I do watch TSN on-line but I am using my sisters Rogers account to log in. It doesn’t matter if you have Bell internet or any other internet service. You need to have TSN as part of your package to watch it on-line.
If you cut the cord and have internet only you can’t watch TSN. I brought this up before, that if you are in Canada and you don’t subscribe to TSN you can’t watch CFL football but if you are in the US you can watch most CFL games on ESPN3 on the internet without an ESPN account since all internet providers carry ESPN3.
I think TSN will eventually lift the restriction and allow anyone on the internet to watch TSN, it just means showing ads during streaming.
[/quote]
ESPN3 is available only to internet providers that pay fees to ESPN. Therefore,not all internet providers carry ESPN3.

I loved Irving on PBP, but was not a big fan of Hodge. I always watched the Grey Cup on CBC because Whitman was way better than Hodge as a PBP guy.

I do watch online, but as was pointed out you still need to have the cable subscription. It's channel specific too. I don't have TSN 2, so I can't watch a game on TSN2 online. It is useful when I'm not at home but have internet access.

My point was paying say $10 a month for 6 months is a whole lot better than paying 40 a month, or even 25 for basic which doesn't have many if any sports, year round. When the online-only option comes I'll go with that.

The CFN could be credited with keeping the CFL alive during that tumultous time.It was Braley,Molstar, and McNall(each for their own reasons) who killed it in 1991 when they tried to squeeze CBC for more money after the Rocket Ismail signing.The network was actually profitable in 89 and 90.Keith Pelly(Former TSN and ARGOS prez)and Scott Moore(Rogers prez)both got their start in the tv industry working for CFN. It might be difficult for some to imagine but the CFL was really facing extinction at that point in time.I posted a link of a great article from Sports Illustrated describing that time period in more detail and it discusses the CFN experiment.

[url=http://www.si.com/vault/1987/11/09/116556/staying-away-in-flocks-as-far-as-most-canadians-are-concerned-their-pro-football-league-is-for-the-birds-a-victim-of-terrible-management]http://www.si.com/vault/1987/11/09/1165 ... management[/url]

if you look to the lower right it gives the option to view the article as it appeared in magazine(with photos)

This is a youtube link of the 1988 Labor day classic(Winfield's greatest game) as produced by CFN.

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVomADgoK-Y&feature=youtu.be]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVomADg ... e=youtu.be[/url]

It would not hurt the league to start a stand alone steaming component.There is plenty of content for the league to
monetize and tell their unique story.

So could the influx of expansion cash from the American expansion but I wouldn't give either too much credit.

CFN alternated the Grey Cup broadcasters.

87 - 89 Dave Hodge was the PBP, while Bob Irving acted as studio host.
88 - 90 Bob Irving was the PBP , while Dave Hodge was the studio host.

What I liked most about CFN, was that there were no sideline reporters.

Same reason they only use the cablecam for the Grey Cup - cost.

I always wonder why they don't ask for the equivalent of the all-22 footage. It's being recorded for the teams already, so making it available to TSN shouldn't be that expensive.

The quality of the equipment these days is so good that it seems TSN almost feels they don`t have to be innovative and just coast along on the same old setup. That`s something I`ve never understood.
TSN is the only game in town for the CFL. Competition and necessity breed innovation, and neither exists right now.

Thanks, I was not aware of that. Still, I preferred Whitman,although the years with Joe Galat on colour were rough, but that may have not have started until '91.