Shotgun From The 1 (An old thread returns and it's deja vu all over again)

You might have a point with Ottawa, but it isn’t working very well here.

Jones does it (practically) all the time.
So you’re ok with it?

So… Tim Kroeker… Elite?

All I know is Jones game management is far from elite.

It’s like pulling out an 8 iron to tap in a 2 ft putt. It might work but doesn’t mean it’s right or has less risk.

STOP WATCHING ME PUTT

Never said I was ok with it. I said to stop acting like he’s the only one that does it. He’s not.

he’s the only one that does it consistently. Throw it in as a change up look, by all means. (that’s just good coaching)

but to say doing it all the time is okay because one other coach did it a couple times is just silly.

Again…never said it was ok. Not sure where any of you have gotten that from.

you brought up Ottawa using it as a defense. seemed to logically follow. My bad for the saying it was “ok” portion. still indefensible to exclusively use this set up in goalline situations.

Maybe Orlondo not helping JJ so he can become the head coach sooner. :wink:

I got about 5 posts in before I realized this thread was started last year - Kudos for bringing it back! My experience was the same last night yelling at the T.V. when they got into the shotgun.

It was Dork who said it well about 3rd and one - it 'continues to be an adventure'. Same goes for first and goal from the one.

This needs to be fixed if the Cats are going to beat better teams.

Orlondo was in on the call to do the short kick last week and I think regularly gives input as asked from up in the booth. Jones does appear to rely on his coaches who have more CFL experience and I don’t think makes all of these decision on his own. I’m sure the call wouldn’t be made if he didn’t think the players were able to execute it - and that goes for any call on the field.

I watched SSK lose their game on Thursday with their Backup QB under centerstopped on the goal line which lost them the game.
It can go either way.
Exactly who is our short yardage QB that is going into that pile of inhumanity?
I don't think Coach JJ wants Masoli going in.
I alsoremember Masoli getting stopped recently on 3rd and 1 at midfieldfrom under center.

A quarterback who played for us a few years back by the name of Dan didn’t have as much trouble on third downs as this current crew. I wonder why?

A QB named Masoli also had no issues with 3rd and 1. When he was asked to go straight forward, no silly business, etc.

Say what you want about Austin but he was by the book when it came to this stuff.

I didn’t say anything about Austin and yes it’s on Masoli when he gets stopped. Do you think he has only one option on short yardage? It’s his responsibility to hit the hole.

On 3rd and 1 it’s on the line…not Masoli if the play is to go straight forward. Once we start with this shotgun read option…or sneak around the end, all bets are off.

They give you a yard. Take it

What are you talking about?

When we sneak forward we don’t have any issues…the only times we’ve been stopped this year or last is when we go shotgun…or tried that sweep around the end.

Look I’m not Masolis biggest fan but you’re turning this into a Masoli incompetence discussion. It has zero to do with him.

We call QB sneaks all over the field that work and when we get to the 1 we go shotgun.

I don’t recall a sneak we were stuffed on this season other than the sweep around the end. (Which is not a sneak)

We have been stopped on short yardage other than the one yard line go look at some game tapes. I agree going into the shotgun at the one is ridiculous, wether we are going straight forward, sweep, off tackle or a pass, way too much telegraphing.’