Shawn Lemon suspended indefinitely for wagering on CFL

TORONTO — Defensive lineman Shawn Lemon has been suspended indefinitely for participating in sports wagering activities involving Canadian Football League (CFL) games, including one in which he played.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2024/04/24/shawn-lemon-suspended-indefinitely-for-wagering-on-cfl
1 Like

Well that would explain a few things such as his sudden retirement recently.

9 Likes

I guess he knew this was coming when he decided to retire

5 Likes

HA! HA! Shawn got the bettor (pun intended) on the CFL by retiring before they could suspend him.

The article does say that Calgary personnel weren’t aware of his wagering and presumably neither was the Alouettes organization. Still, I would like to read the investigation report.

It’s funny how Pete Rose was suspended for life and banned from the Hall of Fame for the same transgressions, while others have not rceeived as severe a punishment. I wish there was some consistency in dealing with gambling cheats. Either Rose needs to be reinstated yesterday or Lemon must suffer the same fate as Rose.

3 Likes

I would bet money on it . :money_mouth_face: :money_with_wings:

2 Likes

:thinking:
I wonder if the Nephew will be getting the same type of judgement from the League??

2 Likes

I doubt it . Manson Lamps aka Googly eyes :eyes: will just get a …
YARN | Oh, probably just a slap on the wrist. | The Simpsons (1989) - S08E18 | Video clips by quotes | d975c01e | 紗

1 Like

If his betting occurred in 2021 why did it take so long to discover? And, dare I ask, did they know earlier, but only waited until after the season to make the announcement?

In any case it certainly muddies his up till now outstanding CFL reputation.

Real brave of Randy waiting for a guy to retire then suspending him after the fact .

1 Like

Gambling is an addiction. I don’t condone Lemon’s activities, and I obviously support the suspension (even though it has no teeth because he’s retired), but this was 3 years ago and the presser even says no evidence was found to indicate outcomes were affected. In other words, no evidence to suggest Lemon “threw” games. Let’s move on.

The Pete Rose thing will always be hard for me to understand, especially now, with what we know of gambling as an addiction. I’d reinstate Rose if it were up to me.

Or Michael Jordan. Or Phil Mickelson. Or any number of other athletes who have not been banned for life.

Respectfully … gambling can be an addiction … but sometimes it is just greed, or just a “skin in the game” thing … it varies by individual.

2 Likes

I-M-O, Rose deserves to remain suspended and out of the HoF … “no gambling” is such a fundamental principle of baseball that it has been posted in the clubhouse ever since the Black Sox scandal … Rose may only have bet on his team to win (that we know of) but not betting was in and of itself a signal to bookies … and who knows how often he overused a player or pitcher to try to win one bet to the long-term detriment of his team … add in his complete lack of remorse and I have no pity for him … just my opinion … totally recognize you are entitled to yours.

3 Likes

I expect it simply took this, long for whatever evidence led to the investigation/suspension to come out … and … that it was the CFL giving him a chance to respond to what the investigation uncovered that led to his retiring.

2 Likes

Or John Daly. But I think there are differences in degree. Mickelson and Daly didn’t bet on tournaments they played in or necessarily on golf at all. As far as I am aware Jordan didn’t either. Both Rose and Lemon bet on games they played/managed in, the ultimate no-no.

2 Likes

I would say his lack of remorse is irrelevant. It is the transgression that deserves punishment. You can’t elevate assault to murder because of a lack of remorse.

Rose did the same thing Lemon did and they should both in principle receive equal punishment. It is irrelevant whether the player was well liked (Rose wasn’t) or the GOAT at what he did (Lemon wasn’t).

As I said earlier, I wish there was more consistency between sports, both for gambling and PED’s. I don’t accept that baseball is “special” and that gamblers should be treated more harshly by that sport than by any other sport.

1 Like

I agree. Gambling on the teams in the league you play is making you a cheat and a scumbag! Gambling on things you have zero to gain from in my book is legit.

1 Like

The hypocrisy is breathtaking (the league)

3 Likes