Shawn Lemon retires

I suppose the retirement becomes easier to understand now. It’s a bit of a nothing burger to me. Three years ago he bet on a few games and zero evidence showing he threw games. Yet Chad “I almost permanently crippled a videographer” Kelly is still playing for the Argos.

3 Likes

Neither is there evidence he “brought his best” in those games … we will never know, but I-M-O betting is bad enough

I fear that with its relatively low salaries the CFL is more susceptible to players betting … the highest paid player in the made about $350-400K (in CAD) less the MINIMUM in the NFL last season.

3 Likes

Hey, more incentive to raise player salaries.

2 Likes

Quite unfortunate. As has basically been written, I now understand why he decided to retire.

Let’s move on.

Richard

5 Likes

Still disapointing in a month we lost 3 key playmakers. The Team had plans for.

2 Likes

Agreed, but it’s not like they left for other CFL teams. We can’t control NFL contracts, retirement, or suspensions for gambling. Onward.

3 Likes

True. But do we win if Lemon, Uguak and Mack are not part of the team? Most likely…not.

5 Likes

Agreed. This MAY hurt the team…time will tell.

1 Like

Of course, I agree, they played a vital role in the championship. But teams change every year. We’ll have to weather these losses and find replacements.

3 Likes

I just point to the irony. You do everything as a team to get “the band” back together and think you have done it and Poof! The Football Gods remind you Football loves no one.

4 Likes

I’d take a ticket raise any day to give more to the players.

1 Like

What made the team last year was Mass and Maciocia. They brought those players.

That suspension is bs. They should fine the player.

Because who cares if the fans can depend on the integrity of the game?

2 Likes

I always find it sort of funny when this stuff happens and fans say stuff like this.

Because really? The next outstanding player is as far away as training camp…

Not to say those guys are easy to replace but the CFL has shown over and over again that the NFL system leaves a lot of outstanding athletes behind. And that because Canadian university players don’t get looked at by the NFL until they become a success in the CFL, we get to watch those guys play here first.

2 Likes

very valid point. I was on the hype.
the way I was seeing it was that the * damages * (issue of already played games) belong to the past but yeah, gotta agree that keeping the integrity of the league should prime and that is real damage.

1 Like

I think it is really unfortunate this story about Lemon. Bone-headed move in his part. But as a player for the Als, he was tremendous and he lifted that defence. Didn’t feel like he was not playing hard when he wore out colours.

3 Likes

“Not playing hard” to try to allow the other team to win, or at least cover the spread, is likely the most common risk in a player gambling … but if there is a point spread involved, they could also take unnecessary risks to try to create an opportunity to add to their teams’ score to cover the spread and as fans we would only notice they were “playing hard”.

1 Like

While I agree with you in principle, losing your no. 1 receiver, as well as your starting defensive ends, in one offseason is going to hurt any team. And it’s doubtful that their replacements assert themselves as such in year 1.

4 Likes