Shameless move, Vaughn - Edmonton Journal Article

Found this article about Vaughn's comments towards Maas in the Edmonton Journal.

Shameless move, Vaughn

That was a very well-written article.

Terry Vaughn wants a six figure salary? I hope he is counting the two places after the decimal.

Vaughn NEEDS a six figure salary to make it worth his while to take yet another year off from his life. Thats the downside to pro sport, if you don't make WAAAAAAY more than average income while you are playing you end up broke. Is he worth it? That is an entirely different issue.

As for the article its a hatchet job on a guy telling the truth about the reality of the Ticats last year. Between Mass and PaoPao there was no hope for any of the offence (including the offensive line)to succeed. Is Vaughn a better reciever than what he showed last year? Probably. With a different system and QB was he a potential allstar or gamebreaker as in the past? Probably not.

Although with Vaughn its on a much smaller scale but his comments reminded me of Spreewell. I think Latrell Sprewell said it best when he whined that he wouldn't go out all-out for the Minnesota Timberwolves because they only offered him $21 million over the next three years. "I got my family to feed," was Sprewell's reply to reporters.

Don't be silly

Any pro athlete needs a 6 figure salary to make ends meet since the career is so short but Spreewell's rant was about a salary he only needs to earn for one season to be set for life.

At 100,000 and 10 years a CFLer MIGHT have 400,000 put away assuming he lived full time in one city and didn't have to maintain 2 households as most do. Should he maintain 2 households my guess is that he might only have 200,000 or so for a retirement fund. Assuming that he can get a job after his CFL career (and that's proven to be tough for many Afro-American players) he would need to work to 60 to get a reduced pension from his new job as he wasted 10 years of his working life.

At 7000000 for one season Spreewell can earn 210,000 annually for life on 3% interest alone.

tell me how these 2 scenarios are related at all

The part that ticks me off is that he in no way claims any of the responsibility for his lack of production. I'm not saying that Maas wasn't bad or that the play calling wasn't enough to make me want to rip my hair out at times, but he should realize that he had a little bit to do with our crappy year too.

As for him NEEDING to make a six figure salary to make ends meet, I have to disagree. A lot of these guys have other jobs in the off-season and don't NEED six figures to survive. Why should he be any different? He's saying that he won't play for less than that, so he clearly has another career path in mind and I'd bet it's one where he ISN'T making six figures. Good luck to him. I have serious doubts that under the SMS any team is going to want to pay him six figures and if they do, they're probably NOT coming in under the SMS. Just my opinion.

BTW, paullywood, loved the decimal point comment..lol

I can't disagree with with Vaughn. Our play calling did $uck and our QB wasn't very good.

Were you people watching the games?

borehamgirl

The six figure salary is required one way or the other. I believe that Vaughn's statement was a rather colourful way of saying that he cannot afford to play for any less. Your reasoning might validate that by suggesting its an either or situation. If he plays he needs to make substantially more than he would if he were to take a permanent job

BTW the salary cap issue likely means we will get a lot less quality choice amongst recruits this spring and forward into the future it will become even more bleak unless we can go back to being a community team that offers players offseason jobs and encourages players to make Hamilton home for life. This is a reality for all teams not just Hamilton

Turbo,

tell me how these 2 scenarios are related at all
I did they both said they wouldnt play if the salary didnt hit their demands. Last time I checked $50 to $100 g's is enough to feed a family. Especially, after a 10+ yr career and he would be getting a pension from the CFL.

Also, whats with this comment?

Assuming that he can get a job after his CFL career (and that's proven to be tough for many Afro-American players)

No you made a lame comparison that makes absolutely no sense. Now if you were comparing attitudes you might get somewhere but Spreewell was given a longterm financially lucrative agreement and STILL whined about it where Vaughn threatens to quit if he doesn't get what he wants on a short term financially miniscule agreement. The more I think about it the less I see these 2 situations being similar.

I applaud Terry Vaughn for Being Brave Enough to speak the Truth..

We were not bad last year..
we were where hoarded last year.

So far it not got any better this off Season.
we hired some Scrub players who will be nothing
and cut some Good Vets.

Not Impressed at all

We were not bad last year.. we were where hoarded last year.

So far it not got any better this off Season.
we hired some Scrub players who will be nothing
and cut some Good Vets.

Not Impressed at all

At least you are keeping a positive attitude

Both rants were about their perceived worth to their employer. I’m sure that in Spreewell eyes the money Vaughn is looking to receive is ‘CHUMP CHANGE.’

Turbo said: "The more I think about it the less I see these 2 situations being similar."

The more I think about it, you clearly missed the fact that it was a comparison of individual worth to an organization. Read it, think about it and then read it again. I'm sure it will sink in eventually!

No one is actually thinking of his family and the other is blowing it out his butt. Does that make Vaughn worth the investment? Not in my opinion, but I'm not going to blast him for demanding a wage that he feels is necessary to continue his football career

Turbo,

I am not comparing money just their similar attitude. Take the money out of the situation and they are basically saying the same thing. And why is it difficult for an Afro-American to get a job after sports???

he would need to work to 60 to get a reduced pension from his new job as he wasted 10 years of his working life.
That is not true seeing how he has been paying into a CFL pension and would clearly qualify.

Why do you think he NEEDS six figures to support his family. I have a family and I don't pull in near to six figures and we manage. I think there is a difference between him needing the money and him thinking it's not worth his while to play for less because he feels he's EARNED more with his stats + his years in the CFL.

The CFL pension is not designed to live on and only meant as a supplement to any pension a player would earn post playing career. That my friends typically requires the 85 rule or age plus years service equalling 85. A private plan would take many years to accumulate any significant funds and would similarly require a person to work 30 years or longer. As for the comment on Afro Americans having difficulties getting jobs I invite you to look up employment statistics and tell me that I might even be remotely wrong in saying that some players might have difficulty getting jobs

And you do not plan on being unemployed at 30 looking for a job with no experience and little valuable education. The US college system fails athletes badly and their prospects post playing career are not pleasant