SFU Program Is no More

2 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

With $1 million pledged, there should be no more excuses for getting the program back

2 Likes

the problem is they don’t want it. they can’t find the right excuse for it because there isn’t one. it’s disgraceful.

1 Like

This has garnered far more publicity and public support/backlash than I would’ve guessed.

Will SFU stick to their guns and keep the football program in suspension?

3 Likes

I don’t think it’ll be suspended indefinitely. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was no 2023 football. Imagine being told your team was dead, then you join another team, then your old team says they are alive again. once you have made a move, can you really trust SFU’s word? I would have a hard time with it. Getting new recruits might be hard as well but they could probably promise lots of playing time.

SFU has pissed off a lot of people and i’m not sure the damage is can be undone. it definitely won’t be without heads rolling.

1 Like

If the school is willing to betray and abandon their student athletes in this way, they would also be willing to treat the rest of the student body in a similar manner.

There’s no way that I, or any child of mine, would enroll at SFU for any purpose now. There are more honest and honourable schools available. My kids can learn lessons about shoddy ethics by watching politics on the news instead of by having their own lives upturned.

3 Likes

You could say this is exactly what went on Laurentian University in Sudbury, Ontario.

School cut something like 60+ programs a couple of years back - on the ACADEMIC side of operations.

However, didn’t seem to get nearly the attention that this one football program at SFU has gotten.

I hadn’t heard about that. Reading the article, it sounds like Laurentian U was insolvent, so while still terrible for students, at least a case could be made to justify the decision. Still, yeah not great.

In the SFU case, they have the money. They just have a radical AD who apparently hates football, or at least doesn’t want it at her university.

I find myself wondering if she will still have her job after all of this. She certainly hasn’t helped school fundraising, and the board might just offer up her head to donors.

2 Likes

You seriously hadn’t heard about this???

Guess this pretty much shows how 1 football program in the athletic department of a school gets more attention then 60+ academic programs been cut, which I believe is the whole purpose of a school in the first place (regardless of the circumstances).

Does anyone know if there was a similiar amount of “pledges” made when those 60+ cuts were announced?

If I understand it, the president of the school has backed the AD on cancelling the football program, no?

You could even say the AD’s future hinges on however a judge rules at the injunction hearing tomorrow…

No, I hadn’t heard about it. But I’m out west and not of an age where I follow university news. (Plus, if its a CBC story, I’ll never see it at all) In fact, I hadn’t heard of the SFU thing, either, until I saw this thread.

And yes, the AD has had support from others in the university’s executive ranks. But that won’t stop them from throwing her under the bus if it will appease donors. If they’ll do it with you, they’ll do it to you.

2 Likes

Ahh gottcha! For some reason, I was thinking you were among those that heard about the SFU case from the moment it broke, and didn’t know anything about Laurentian :slight_smile:

That could very well be quite the severance that would have to be paid out should it come to that :wink:

2 Likes

Some highlights from court today covered in this twitter thread:

2 Likes

No decision by the judge today. I wonder how long it’ll take.

2 Likes

Farhan and the panel on CFL draft day

2 Likes

I hope SFU at least acknowledges this proposal and explains their decisions.

Another article on the issue:

Prospective opponents for the Simon Fraser University football team, should it rise from the dead, apparently include Laval, Ottawa, UBC, Windsor, Bishop’s, Montana Tech, Western Oregon, Central Washington and Linfield.

3 Likes