Server upgrade??

Its it really woth it to upgrade to be able to handle 2000 hit when 364 days of the year it has 200?

Yes, it is. That is primary in making a system, you do not make something that will work 95% of the time, you make something that will work 100% of the time. Imagine a site like Amazon saying well we aren't that busy other then at Christmas, so we will only go for those average hits. There site goes down at xmas they lose business. This site goes down when lots of people are viewing it, we lose business. Those are the absolute most important times to be up and running at full capacity. You want to show how good you are, when you have the most people watching.

Well I cant argue with that. (surprised huh?)
I just dont see it as a big deal that it was down yesterday!

....I switched to TSN.ca and will now faithfully buy things that their banners featured......

the bomber site had good coverage of the draft.......I didnt even notice this site was down......go big or go home cfl, this how you represent yourself to the masses.......

They can do like others and have a million pop-ups and banners and all kinds of junk. Someone has to pay for it. I would rather have the site down once a year that have to put up with that mess!

I think the CFL could have maybe given the bombers 20,000 less than 700,000 and upgraded this hugely. (20,000 is just a number I picked, I have absolutely zero idea how much it would be exactly). The money is there I think.

yeah, need a spell checker, or a link to download one on the forum in cause I'm away form my computer at home.

For those who care - there are two servers presently... web server and database server... we have the equipment and plans to go with more front end web-servers (but that's not like flipping a switch).

That said - the bottle neck has been with the database server - so we're putting in a server with quadruple the power... if things go well, it should be live by Tuesday...

As it stands - the site performed admirably with 1000 users... much more than that and the db server starts lagging and each page waits for it's query to come back from the db...

Are you kidding me?? The front page is querying a database and building the page on each hit?! thats ridiculous ... Ron - a page with this kind of traffic potential should be serving up static content (especially on the front page) - not hammering a database 30 times over for every www.cfl.ca hit ... c'mon ...

StatiK76
GO BOMBERS!!!