Semi-OT: Going to first CFL game.

Sorry if this isn't the proper forum for this topic. I will be visiting Canada for the first time from July 12-17th, and attending my first of (hopefully) many CFL games. I am a big CFL supporter from New Jersey and am excited to visit your great city. How is the pregame atmosphere outside the stadium? Is there typically tailgating and/or a local pub where fans get together before the game. Would it be best to buy tickets beforehand, or can they be had easily by scalpers?

I'm also looking at staying at Hotel Le St Andre', the reviews look promising and seems to be centrally located. Any recommendations for the local night life, and any sights or attractions I should definitely check out? Thanks in advance.

Its a lot of fun but get there early. Like leave 3 hours before game time. No matter if your walking, Busing or parking, its a trek. Lots to do from the fan tailgate to the team tailgate. Then lots of great places for food and partying after the game.

not sure how tight your reservations are but I stay at "L’hotel in Old Montreal. Its founded, managed and decorated by George Marciano the founder of Guess and its AMAZING. 30 foot ceilings, indoor valet parking, insane lobby bar with wine cellar and 30 foot ceilings with all kinds of pop art and its a straight bus ride up the hill (free with your ticket)

http://www.lhotelmontreal.com/default-en.html

Welcome to Montreal! I hope you have a great time in our city and at Molson stadium.

A few tips to make your stay more enjoyable.

First, avoid the Champlain bridge like the plague. It is being rebuilt, and the trafic disruptions abound, especially on weekends. I recommend using the Victoria or Jacques Cartier bridges instead (yes Montreal is an island).

Second, don't even think of parking around Molson stadium. Walk up University (aka Robert Bourassa) St, or hop onto the free STM shuttles. You can walk down to bars after the game, they are a five minute walk away.

Als have not sold out in a while so tickets should be available at box office. There are always scalpers.

Tailgating is not an institution like in the US. You will find a small gathering at the east end of the stadium near Parc ave.

30 mins before the game you can high five the players at the fanzone hich is at the west end of the stadium. Beers are 5$ during happy hour which ends 60 minutes before the game. You can purchase some decent brew.

I would normally recommend St Denis St, however like much of the city it is under construction. Better stick to Old Montreal, St Laurent or Crescent Streets.

if you stay at Hotel Le St Andre’
Walk up the street (north) turn left and walk a couple blocks to the Berri metro(Subway) station
Look for a sign with an Arrow in a circle pointing down with the word Merto under it

Folllow the signs to Angrignon
Its 3 stops to McGill station
Follow the jersies to the free shuttle bus up the hill to the stadium

Please dont buy from scaplers. The ticket office is on the east side of the stadium
Like Alsphil said…Games have not been sold out in a while so you will have no problem getting tickets at the boxoffice

Welcome to Montreal…I know you will have a great time

pre-game/tailgating not like the NCAA or NFL. No parking lot like US stadiums. molson stadium is a university owned(McGill)facility built into the side of mount royal mountain!! west end zone is the place to be pre game. buy your tickets prior don’t ever use the blood sucking scalpers!! use the free shuttle bus 2 and from the stade(french 4 stadium). don’t forget your french/english dict. before you leave NJ. nite life CRESCENT street is your place for let the good times roll along with checking out montreal’s many strip/nude bars all over the city!! check out the top of mount royal mountain, old montreal, former expo 1967 site, 1976 olympic site, botanical gardens, take the bus tour, la ronde amusement park, try a labatt 50 ale beer, montreal steamed all dressed hot dog especially @ the montreal pool room on st. Lawrence st(rue st. laurent in french)smoked meat, poutine and also try montreal style pizza. plus so much more. ENJOY!!