Season Opener

Scary, with so many starters on the one week injured list.

Both our starting SBs, Cahoon and Thurmon, are out.

So is our starting backfield, HB Payton and FB Vilimek.

Corey Jenkins was released, so I guess D'Wayne Taylor will start at MLB.........all 6', 215lbs of him, is going to haul down Jesse Lumsden?

Proulx is out, who starts at safety?

Keeping, who was supposed to replace Romero, is out for 9 weeks. Lumsden rumbles again.....

I don't have a particularly confident feel for this start to the season......

Its a marathon, not a sprint. Finaly we have a coach who has a plan and a vision. I would much rather see this team built over the course of the season, then start 8-0 and fizzle like we've seen before...

Also maybe the Als are working on a trade. I could see Mtl. Trading with a couple teams for a RB or a Linebacker.

I have questions too but I have faith in Trestman and Popp and their crew.

What a shock, Proulx is injured. :roll: Can this guy go 5 minutes without ending up on the limp?

I too am not feeling too sanguine about the season opener. Kashama is injured too. Our D-line is looking suspect, our MLB is a paperweight, and we're going with our backup safety. This could be a long night if Hamilton is able to run the ball effectively.

Will Loftus was just released by the Eskimos. Worth giving a shot?

I think Trey Young (just released from Calgary)would be a better fit. Younger, faster and can play both safety and Linebacker!!!

Trey Young is a natural safety but if they were to go to a NI safety for example your NI starters would look something like this.

Sanchez
Chiu
Flory
Fritz/Perrett
Lambert
Deslauriers
Carter/ and one of Desrivaux/Stala

Not a lot of depth if anyone gets injured. You have Lambert and Diedrick and a receiver.

Al's non import depth is a problem right now. Now if Donovan Alexander and Boulay come back then that could change in a hurry.

It would be really nice to have a NI kicker right now...

No kidding. Especially when our vaunted import kicker goes 0/3 in placekicking in the last preseason game. I think Duval is incredibly overrated.

For me a PSG is a glorified practice and Duval didn't have his holder and he won't in the opener and a 52 yarder in a windy Winnipeg may show up on the stats but its luck if it makes it.

But Duval will need to come up big against Setta in Hamilton on Thursday. The last thing this team needs right now is controversy involvingj Duval.

1. Bellefeuille loves to run the ball.

2. They have Jesse Lumdsen.

Long night it could very well be. Hope I'm wrong.

Overall though I'm with Hfxtc.........it's a marathon not a sprint, losing the opening game will not be all that catastrophic..........and, overall, I am much more upbeat about this season than I was at the start of last. Having a coaching staff has a lot to do with that; also we're deep at QB and receiver. Just hope that O-line is a heck of a lot better than what we saw last year.

I think there will be big-play potential against the Cats' D if the hogs can pass-block effectively. Our receivers match up very well against Hamilton's DBs and should be able to find open space to be effective.

I don't know how we can make any predictions like "It's going to be a long night" or not.

We haven't seen this group of guys yet.
Payton and Villimek may be out, we still have Carter, who I think is better than Vilimek, and we still have guys like Cobourne, Imoh and Diedrick, who aren't as good as Payton, but are not chumps.

Our receivers are stacked, Thurmon and Cahoon may be out, but we still have Deslauriers and Richardson.

At the exhibition game against Toronto, I felt Defensively, our strong point was defending the rush. Lumsden is the best Running Back in the league. Didn't really have his best games against Montreal. Give him a solid shot, he'll be on the sidelines...Again.

I am actually really excited for this game! I think the Als will be 1-0 on Friday Morning!

and Watkins and Armstead and Taylor, Green.
With all of them healthy I can't wait to see six receiver sets...

I picked the Ticats because I think the Als still have a ton of work to do on defense and special teams, start on the road. But the Ticats will need to put at least 24 points on the board. TMiles and Lumsden have to come through.

I never thought we would be going into 08 with the same offensive line as last year. From the Als site it would appear that is the case. I hope the team has someone assigned to scout the NFL traning camps.

Looking forward to Thursday night's tilt agains't you guys, can't wait to get it on!!!!

Because we are pretty injured going into the opener, minus our star slotback, feature back, starting fullback, no. 2 quarterback, and starting safety. When you have that many injuries at key positions, it's only natural to wonder if the team can hold it together.

we still have guys like Cobourne, Imoh and Diedrick, who aren't as good as Payton, but are not chumps.
Diedrick is nothing, has done nothing since he got here, and is only on the roster because he's a Canadian who can play special teams.
Our receivers are stacked, Thurmon and Cahoon may be out, but we still have Deslauriers and Richardson.
I'm pretty sure Richardson is also injured. Deslauriers has proven nothing to me yet.
At the exhibition game against Toronto, I felt Defensively, our strong point was defending the rush. Lumsden is the best Running Back in the league. Didn't really have his best games against Montreal. Give him a solid shot, he'll be on the sidelines...Again.
It's one thing to stop the run against a team like Toronto, who haven't run the ball successfully for years. It's another to do it against Lumsden, the best running back in the league, with an unproven D-line and a featherweight MLB.

These are perfectly legitimate concerns, Ryooon.

Because we are pretty injured going into the opener, minus our star slotback, feature back, starting fullback, no. 2 quarterback, and starting safety. When you have that many injuries at key positions, it's only natural to wonder if the team can hold it together.
You're right. It is something to be concerned about, but I think everyone makes the worst of it. In my opinion, it isn't the end of the world, and think we can beat the Ti-Cats, even the Lions with the guys we have right now. Brady is out, hey he's good. But after the Pre-Season, big deal. McPherson and Banks played great. If A.C gets pulled for whatever reason, these 2 are capable of moving the ball as well.
Diedrick is nothing, has done nothing since he got here, and is only on the roster because he's a Canadian who can play special teams.
Diedrick probably never done anything since he got here, probably because he doesn't even played. When he get's in, he does do good things. He makes good blocks and rips off 5 yard runs. That's enough for me.
I'm pretty sure Richardson is also injured. Deslauriers has proven nothing to me yet.
Really? I think Deslauriers is awesome. He uses his size well, and has great hands. He's a bigger version of Cahoon. Instead of dancing around the tackler, he does it the old fashion way, and lowers the shoulders and helmet. You get more yards that way, and always wins the jump balls because of the size matchup. Trestman is also working with specific type of formations and routes to exploit his size and use it to our advantage.
It's one thing to stop the run against a team like Toronto, who haven't run the ball successfully for years. It's another to do it against Lumsden, the best running back in the league, with an unproven D-line and a featherweight MLB.

These are perfectly legitimate concerns, Ryooon.

Lumsden is the man in Hamilton. But HE CAN BE STOPPED. He isn't a God.

This is how I think it will go down.

This is Bellefeuille we are talking about. He's going to run Lumsden and test all areas of the Als front and get the Als to tighten the box, then he's going to start his little passes to the flats and swing passes to Dickerson or Cauley and his SB. And every once in a while he's going to take a shot 15 yards downfield if the HB's cheat. Now it will work better for Hamilton then it did for Montreal but it will be a slow tedious march when the Ticats have the ball, Montreal has to stay patient and not get frustrated with the pounding. Wait for the mistakes, they will come...Lumsden is going to get his yards, let him have his 100 yards if it means passing yards down. I expect to see a lot of picks by receivers to try and free up Miles up the middle. Ticats are going to go after Wright and Taylor. Also expect to see the Ticats test the temper of Ferri.

Now the Als game on offense is to confuse the hell out of that young defensive backfield, lots of motion and constant changes in formations. Calvillo has to figure out quick if Ticats gonna favor Man or Zone coverage. Force those big LB to run after the small Als's SB and RB. Ticats Defense will want to break down the confidence of the Oline and Calvillo early, expect a lot of blitz by Hamilton's Moreno and Knowlton. and focus on Perrett to narrow the field on Calvillo.

Special teams need to play conservative. Both punters are very good so field position dosen't favour either team. Returners have to take what they can get and not get tempted to force things. Mistakes on ST could be the difference. But really the team that can get the mental edge early will win. It won't take long of either of those teams to start questioning themselves if they get a poor start.

Should be a real fun game.

Good Luck tonite

I think HfxTC has hit the proverbial nail on the head.

If I was Hamilton, I'd surely be forefeeding Lumsden all game, if they can pop him through the line I have serious doubts that Taylor, an undersized MLB, is going to be able to bring him down one on one. So from our perspective, Williams and Claybrooks have to have monster games to stop him.

I'd also look for Printers to be airing it out deep down the middle, trying to get a speedy receiver (assuming they have one; so many new receivers on that team that we don't know squat about) isolated one on one on whatever safety we have in there.

But I"m guardedly optimistic; quite anxious to see what our new offence looks like...AC has been saying good things about it, says there are some new plays that haven't been seen before.........and even with Cahoon and Thurmon out we've got a good receiving corps.

What I mainly want to see, however, is an entertaining game. Too many of our games last year were so deadly dull as to be darn near unwatchable.