Screw It, Let's Put the Antlers Back on the Helmet

Like, c'mon. That was iconic. That's actually what pulled me into the Elks, that a team was so bold with its rebrand as to change the helmet decals to something so unique, probably the most unique helmet design in North America. Made the Washington NFL team's and Cleveland MLB team's rebrands look extremely shoddy in comparison...and then took a massive step back by essentially reinstating the old uniforms. Now we don't look new or like we're looking to the future. Instead we look like we're stuck the past and desperately trying to recapture a magic that's long gone at this point.

Put the antlers back on the helmets. I don't think that's what made us perform badly in 2021.

4 Likes

Ah well we have a related thread on the matter, and the views are quite divided.

For me the uniforms are fine right now. The name though has to go, and we have a thread with a poll for that too.

Have a look and share your say if you will too please.

Dont think antlers would hold up well in a contact sport like football

would give a new meaning to spearing tho

2 Likes

I expect they'll bring back the helmet antlers and the Elk head logo in the future, at least for special games.

2 Likes

Antler Up!

2 Likes

I actually thought the antlers were the second ugliest helmets I've ever seen. The Alouettes' red wing helmets being the only worse ones. Even Sask's watermelon helmets were better.

Good riddance, I say.

Also, I was happy to see the triple stripes on the sleeves return. I always thought they represented the three bars in a capital letter "E"

3 Likes

I do like the three stripes that were added to most CFL uniforms a few years back but I think Edmonton’s used to look better for some reason.

Flipping back to the iconic EE was too soon
They really gave the new look no chance at all to gain traction

2 Likes

I think that was the idea. Whether you or I agree or disagree with the name change, it can’t be denied that a significant number of Edmonton fans hate it. I’d wager the return to the traditional EE logo was done to placate them, or at least to soften the blow by retaining the old look.

2 Likes

What traction? They were already running down the ditch. Good riddance and don’t come back.

Now the antlers on the uniforms are fine.

1 Like

If they were going to ditch the EE for a new look, we weren't limited to names that start with E and thus could have gone with something less stupid.

1 Like

People hate change tho
Even ignoring the politics behind it any rebrand takes serious time & effort
Neither of which the Elks have bothered with
Flipping just makes the entire thing look like a colossal waste

This is also very true

3 Likes

The Antler helmet is one of the coolest helmets I have ever seen. It should be the primary helmet.

2 Likes

Here’s a pair of Antler Helmetted foes doing battle (Edmonton vs Calgary) from the CFL’s Dark Ages. Back then ‘TSN’ was known as ‘The Sword Network’.

2 Likes

Let me guess, back in those metal-clashing days of yours it took the Plague to put a stop to that nonsense. But you survived, so at least that part was good! :thinking: :neutral_face: :no_mouth:

1 Like

I should comment in your defence as well this time sir.

See, this post of yours essentially is an endorsement of my selection of Excaliburs for the new name in the new name poll thread.

It’s not too late to change your vote to Excaliburs too you know, and of course everybody else is welcome to vote early and often.

1 Like

It’s not the antlers so much as the fact they represent a man who enjoys watching his wife be unfaithful…(Don’t look it up unless you are an adult!!!)

That symbology is hundreds of years old and while some are OK with that, I would much rather the EE logo represent my hometown team…

1 Like

Ha ha this is a modern and more common insult in other languages such as Spanish and Italian no doubt, which I learned about in my youth when traveling to Italy. To your point, it’s an ancient concept.

The same insult is used irrespective of whether the man enjoys or not too - that reality in the Anglosphere is seen as irrelevant in some other cultures.

Anyway, this is funny now that I think about the implication for a few fans, so good thing we moved on from those on the helmets! :sweat_smile:

1 Like