Scott Mitchell

First off, I'm not a hater (in case anyone was referring to me) I've met caretaker, Scott Mitchell, Doug Rye,Mark Bowden, Dan Deighton ( almost all more than once) and while we don't always agree on all subjects we have agreed on some, and I've never had problems with any of them as I've found them all to be forth coming, direct and very approachable and respectful. I like them. I do not hate any of them.

I don't agree with everything they do.

Agreed on all accounts Ron. I have stated many times that despite the teams poor record under caretaker's ownership I have never had better game experiences than I have the last several seasons, and I've been going to games for 40 years now.

A lot of what I mentioned does fall under Obie's jurisdiction, but as caretaker has mentioned many of the major decisions are not unilateral, and IIRC it was Scott Mitchell, and no Obie (and please correct me if i'm wrong) was the one advocating the continuity, and supporting Bellefeuille.

Football operations is one of the president's responsibilities. Still waiting for a winning season (playoffs included) for the past decade (not all of which are under Scott Mitchell's watch of course) and kudos to him, Obie and caretaker and everyone involved in the Cortez signing.

No problem if there is disagreement with what I wrote, but I don't think I'm being unfair. is anyone (myself included) beyond criticism? Of course

Look, in the end, it's still quite difficult to win even in an 8 team league in a sport with so few games. There are so many factors involved and there just isn't any magical formula. You can make a lot of money in business making so-so of a product but in sports, only one team wins a championship every year.

I find it quite hilarious and assinine that people on an internet forum can critisize a man for not doing his job, when NONE of them actually even KNOW his responsibilities!

God forbid any of you EVER have scrutiny of YOUR job, you might find the feeling rather uncomfortable!

Since you quoted me, I'm interested in why you say that. Could you elabourate even a little? I'd like to know why you think that?

It would be nice to engage in some back and forth discussion rather than the numerous posts in this thread that contain generalized assumptions and name calling such as "haters" without specific references.

Bottom line CK.... Scott Mitchell does NOT make trades, that is OBIE'S job

C'mon Kirk. You're the one who is always posting the interesting links to stories around the league. Read between the lines and analyze how these things unfold. Columnists like Steve Milton and Dave Naylor usually leave fairly decent clues as to what's playing out. Here is my elaboration on your statement:

1. There wasn't a head coach in place that WE know of as fans in an official capacity. BUT, what do you know about the dealings that were going on behind the scenes? With all the waiting and mock interviews that took place it's fairly apparent that Cortez was the #1 target from the beginning. It's likely the negotiations with Cortez have been going on for weeks as was the speculation in many press reports.

2. It had been reported that all the potential coaching candidates agreed that Burris was an improvement over Glenn. Most likely this was something that Cortez and Obie discussed. The fact that Cortez and Burris had great success together and that Burris was coincidentally available..... well last time I checked one plus one equals two.

3. Burris a gamble? Refer back above to point #2.

4. Ti-cats were not poised to take over the East with an 8-10 record and by defeating a Montreal team riddled with key injuries. If you actually believe that then you are truly in the minority. We accomplished absolutely nothing in any capacity against Winnipeg in the EF.
    As for the 2012 season all of the East teams should be strong this year and are continually improving themselves. Argos aren't fooling around this year. Winnipeg will seek to improve their offense to complement their powerful defense and Montreal still has Calvillo. We MUST bring in proven winners or else we'll finish in the basement. Three years of .500 football with Glenn and Marcel is enough as has been reiterated here in this forum and in the press hundreds of times ad nauseum.

I hope I didn't miss anything. :smiley:

Um...yeah. I agree the Ti-Cats were confident in re-uniting them. They pretty much knew they were getting the 1-2 punch in Burris [i]and[/i] Cortez. Without Cortez, I think going for Burris is somewhat of a gamble because...Hamilton was/is close to winning the east with Torornto and Montreal beaten and a 1-game-above-500-Winnipeg the next puzzle to solve. You don't think the Tiger-Cats had a chance of beating Winnipeg in 2012 with Glenn and Bellefeuille? Not sure how likely that would have been, and I like our chances much better now, but there was definately a decent chance,

4. Ti-cats were not poised to take over the East with an 8-10 record and by defeating a Montreal team riddled with key injuries.
Here's where I disagree. Even caretaker wrote, "The team has improved consistently on and off the field...". The 8-10 record is somewhat irrelevant here as many writers actually credited Bellefeuille with some terrific coaching in getting the team prepared in the last 3 meaningless games (basically sacrificing them) for the eventual defeat of Montreal [b]in[/b] Montreal, which IMO is no small feat.

As far as injuires go, Hamilton had it's fair share of injuries too, as do many teams nearing the end of the season. That's the inherent nature of football. Always has been. Coulda, woulda, shoulda proves nothing. Winning playoffs and championships proves everything.

And don't forget, the Tiger-Cats beat Montreal two other times this past season too. 34-26, and 43-13. Yes, Montreal was finally solved.

We accomplished absolutely nothing in any capacity against Winnipeg in the EF.
No argument here. (Well actually, that dismal performance in the EF pretty much cleared the way for Burris/Cortez) I wouldn't have been surprised that if Hamilton put up a good showing against Winnipeg, and still lost, we still might have Bellefeiulle and Glenn. But, Winnipeg is very beatable, being only 1 game above .500. B.C. proved that, a team that Hamilton beat twice.

Thanks for the reply and discussion.

I could be wrong, but I think Scott Mitchell would have some input or say into the trading of the team's starting QB.

Caretaker just posted how broad his team President's responsibilities are, Cap'n.

he said, as team president Scott Mitchell is responsible for the team's success.

Success as a business is critically tied to the success of the on-field product

My guess is, Cap'n, that Scott has wielding that power more than once.

P.S.

I don't know whether Obie's contract said that
he had total control of football operation decisions.

He doesn't have that authority any more though.

Scott Mitchell gave that authority to Mr. Cortez.

Fair enough, he is the right man to be our Head Coach at this time

and he likely gave up his last chance to qualify to earn for an NFL pension.

At sixty years of age, Mr. Cortez is unlikely to get another chance at one.

Frankly, I was surprised by that statement by Bob Young. I doubt if Scott Mitchell's job description includes the item "You are responsible (accountable) for the success of the team". If it does, than it would be unwise for Mitchell or anyone else to accept the job under those terms IMO. The owner cannot hold an employee totally accountable for an area of activity unless that person has final authority over that area. As in any other business, the president operates under set of directives/instructions/budgets as set down by the owner or board of directors. The president is not free to simply act at will as he/she sees fit, and to that extent, cannot be held responsible/accountable for areas of the business where he/she does not have final authority and it is irresponsible for the owner to attempt to do so.
A hypothetical case: Suppose Scott Mitchell wants to hire a certain coaching candidate who he and his subordinates believe is vital to improve the team's chances of success. The candidate's salary demands are very high however, requiring an exception to the owner's budget but the owner does not agree and tells Mitchell to hire someone else. Mitchell does not have final authority to enact the measures he requires to enable the team's success. Accountability without authority doesn't work. Ultimate authority for the "success of the team" lies with the owner and to infer anything different, with all due respect, is somewhat of a copout IMO.

^^^ As defined as certain positions' responsibilities are, I would imagine that many, if not most, major football decisions are a "braintrust" collaboration in that others have significant input. The big 3 being caretaker, Mitchell and Obie with onew of them depending on the situation, having the final decision.

Mitchell seems like a decent man but the fact that he can't even speak proper english makes me question his intellect.

Ummm... do ya think that maybe Bob meant "business success" and not specifically "on field" success?? I would seem to me that the "on field" success belongs to Obie.

Every single employee employed by the Hamilton Tiger Cats is held accountable for the success of the team. Period. Thats
how a business works. From the ball boy, players, trainers, office staff, coaches …whatever, it starts and ends with everyone emplyed by the team.

That's probably the case, and all the more reason why it's unworkable for Bob Young to attempt to hold any one of them "responsible for the success of the team" (except himself of course).

Yeah, but there's a hierarchy of responsibility, and Mitchell is at the top of that hierarchy. Of all the people in the organization, other than perhaps the Caretaker himself, he bears the most responsibility. I don't think hiring the wrong person to work the cash register at the Tiger-Town store is going to have the same impact on the success of team as hiring the wrong person to be president.

Captain Kirk wrote:

"As defined as certain positions' responsibilities are, I would imagine that many, if not most, major football decisions are a "braintrust" collaboration in that others have significant input. The big 3 being caretaker, Mitchell and Obie with onew of them depending on the situation, having the final decision."

Make no mistake, the owner will always have the final say in any decision, unless he defers it to one of his management team.

Bill Polian, I understand, had a similar situation in Indianapolis. He had total control of the football operation, that is until the owner decided otherwise.

Here are {some of[?]} the assigned responsibilities of George Cortez and Obie.

http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/
- Cortez signed a four-year deal that puts him in upper echeleon
  • though not the highest paid - of CFL coaches.

• Cortez's director of football operations title gives control

over roster decisions - who comes on and off the 53-man roster –

but general manager Bob O'Billovich retains day-to-day control

over player personnel (recruiting players, negotiating contracts,

running free agent camps.) Scouts still report to Obie.

Cortez and Obie have a long history - including working together

in Calgary - and Cortez will be heavily involved in player personnel.

P.S.

IMO, the salary cap is the only area where Bob makes final decisions

Scott Mitchell makes the final business decisions for management

and ultimately he makes the final decisions for football operations, too.

This is true. Therefore I fail to see the need to demystify each of their roles. Obie finds and pursues the talent, Mitchell approves, and Caretaker signs the paychecks. The chain of command falls in that order and each one trusts the other to do the proper job and make the right decisions. No real mystery here.

2010 Cats beat Montreal 40-3. Who cares? Montreal wins Grey Cup anyways.

2008 Cats beat Montreal 44 - 36. With Quinton Porter at the helm. Again, who cares? The Cats finished 3-15, Montreal went to the Grey Cup and Porter hasn't had a game like that since.

Stealing the odd win from a championship team on one of their off nights does not make a quality football team. It's when a team like Montreal actually FEARS our arrival at their stadium because we consistently pound our opponents into submission en route to a 14-4 season. Then, we can be truly proud and confident of our teams achievements.

I believe that Obie, Mitchell and Young would agree and are placing the puzzle pieces to achieve that goal.