Scott Mitchell says "team and fans should get upset&quo

"Things aren't bleak, we can turn this around but we need the players to get upset and we need the fans to get upset."

Okie Dokie.....I'm now officially upset :wink:
(cough..start Chang..cough)

Here's the article:

Ticat prez sees upside to a season gone south

July 31, 2007
Ken Peters
The Hamilton Spectator
(Jul 31, 2007)

The future of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats is bright not bleak.

Team president Scott Mitchell calls his 0-5 club "an emerging good football team."

Mitchell said the franchise has some solid football players who form a club "that is trying to find ourselves right now.

"It's not good enough to be 0-5 but things aren't bleak. We could rip off three wins in a row and play the Argos at 3-5 on Labour Day and be fighting for second place.

"Things aren't bleak, we can turn this around but we need the players to get upset and we need the fans to get upset."

Head coach Charlie Taaffe said his team is slowly improving.

"We're an improved football team, we're a competitive football team," he said, adding the Tiger-Cats took the best teams in the west and east to the wire in the past two weeks.

"I think we're pretty close and I think we're getting better. I see improvement."

Taaffe said quarterback Jason Maas will start against the Blue Bombers Friday night, but there might be an added wrinkle. Backup Timmy Chang might be called upon to play a series or two.

"We may do that. Just say 'OK Timmy, you got this series in the game.' I still want to play him some, which we haven't in the last two weeks. If for nothing else, just to get him some experience."

http://www.thespec.com/Sports/article/227245 :cowboy:

"Timmy Chang might be called upon to play a series or two."

For the first time, this makes me really start to question what this team is doing.
O-5....lame QB ...and we have no-one else to start????? How and why did we get into this ridiculous situation?
The Argos have made Rocky Butler their #2 with a chance he will start.
Remind me again why we cut him and stayed with the Maas and his losing ways.
Now the Argos are looking to Butler for help with their offence. We needed the help more than them.

As I just said, I like the approach Taafe and Desjardins are employing. :thup:

Earl:

What was it you just said?

“…rip off tree wins in a row…”? Now when is the last time the Cats won three in a row? They only won 4 all last season. I hate it when they blow smoke at me and think I’m dumb enough to buy it. I’ll continue to attend the games at IWS because I like CFL football but I know what I’m getting and it ain’t a team that’s going to win three in a row. Maybe Mitchell meant three wins this season.

An Argo-Cat fan

What some people don't seem to remember is that Butler basically showed NOTHING in training camp that would suggest him challenging for a start. Coach Taaffe hauled him into his office and basically said "You have been in the league for 6 years and I expected more from you" (paraphrase).

The blue team is in dire straits QB-wise, and thay are grasping at straws. Butler is a fill-in until Crouch returns - nothing more.

sigpig:

Rocky is no team saviour for sure.Two points:

• its too bad Charlie couldn't haul Maas into the office and tell him the same thing.

• At least the Pinball is willing to make some changes even though they are not in last place. The status quo is not for him. What a refreshing approach.

mr62, basically I just said in another thread that I like keeping Maas in there for now as we don't want to mess with Chang in any way in terms of his confidence.
Maas is history, we all know this. Using Maas right now is the thing to do. If he wins, great, but probably isn't going to so use him until we are out of the playoffs and then let Timmy get in there in a less intimidating environment and learn the game and then next year, he's "the man." Sure, we'll take a hit on attendance this year but Young, Taafe and Desjardins etc. are looking at this long term which is nice, we are going to have a premier CFL qb in Timmy Chang and we don't want to mess with this guy.

Make sense? Even Chang said in the paper today he knows he isn't ready so this tells me the Cats have told him he is the future of the franchise qb wise, just be a bit patient bud as we are going to be patient with you. He gets it I know.

Embarassing. Thats how I feel about the direction our management is taking. Mitchell is so far out to lunch I believe he should be fired on the spot

Earl:

I have been patient with this team many times since 1961 when I became a supporter.
What hindsight tells me is that this team is refusing to use all of its resources while languishing at 0-5 and staring another no-playoff season in the face already.
I don't know if Chang is the answer. How do you know if you don't use him? Why is Holmes not being used more?
Its time for a shake up with the offence. The present course has been disastrous.
Hate to say it but we have the worst starting QB in the league and this team is a long way from being competitive with the rest of the league.And I'm not just talking about stupid penalties.
The response from Marcel and Charlie? Start Maas again. This "stay the course" approach should not be an option at this stage of the season. Its doing this team and its fans no good.

Earl:

mr62cats has about 5 more years experience than I as a fan of this team, but my 40 years experience agree with his post.
Start Chang and involve Corey Holmes more in the offense.

I disagree guys, personally I have to say to myself I don't know nearly as much about football and player development as Mr. Taafe. And I have all the confidence in the long range plans that Charlie has for this ball club. My guess, just a guess, is that he wants to win the Grey Cup and knows how to do this in the long run.

“…rip off three wins in a row…”

Hey, why didn’t I think of that?!! No Problem.

If Mitchell thinks the fans aren’t already upset, he’s obviously not reading this forum and he must have earplugs in during the game. Or maybe he just thinks we’re yelling “Looouuuu”.

What a lame attempt to shift the focus from his useless underachieving team and staff.

BarneyFife youre an Argos fan so what do you care?

If Mitchell thinks the fans aren't already upset, he's obviously not reading this forum and he must have earplugs in during the game.
I'm not sure where you read that Mitchell doesn't think the fans are made yet.

“Things aren’t bleak, we can turn this around but we need the players to get upset and we need the fans to get upset.”

Embarassing. Thats how I feel about the direction our management is taking. Mitchell is so far out to lunch I believe he should be fired on the spot
Why do you feel this why? Do you not feel the team has brought in some really young talent? How wins did you expect in the first 5 games? One? Two? More? What if we won the games against Montreal, BC or Winnipeg would you feel differently about management?

If you expected this team to win games eaaly this year you were just fooling yourself.

Mitchel's rant was all about getting mad at Winnipeg for percieved slights which IMO are all horse dung. Embarrassing. Fix the damned problems and quit trying to deflect legitimate anger directed your way

No, you’re referring to the wrong article. That’s not the article that the thread starter referred to,

You are referring to the other article that appeared in the Spec today.

Fix the damned problems and quit trying to deflect legitimate anger directed your way
Agreed. The rant you are referring to is the same thing Marcel did last week. I believe it was designed to redirect any pressure from the players to somewhere else.

Last week it was the officials, this week it’s the mean Winnipeger’s who insult us and our fair city.

Unfortunately, I also agree. sigh