Scott Gordon Traded

8) Did it ever occur to any of you that it is entirely possible that Scott Gordon wanted out of Hamilton, and to return to his old team !! He just may have asked to be traded !!! Could be as simple as that !!!!!

So Shaw can't hit?

Well I remember the first blue team game in Toronto this year. Ricky (Who) was supposed to run rough-shod over the Cats and in fact looked very average, with the exception of one play. Not sure of the yardage, but it was detinitely was more than 10 or even 15. Who knocked the "great one" out of bounds but good old number 1.

It was then that I realized Shaw did have "some lumber".

I'm not saying that he is a great hitter or tackler for that matter, but hey, I do remember him taking Williams out on that play.

Gordon seemed like a good aquisition when we aquired him, but he had an entire training camp to beat Shaw out and couldn't...for whatever reason. I trust Reed's judgement that Gordon wasn't a good fit here. Our secondary seems to emphasize speed, hitting and coverage skills, and we have some great athletes back there who can do the job without Gordon. I'm glad to see Desjardines make quick judgements on the fringe guys.

Hey Blitz,

What the heck have you been watching out there. Shaw is without a doubt our weak link on the D. There is no way he'll be starting next year. The guy is not physical, is not a good cover man and is never around the ball. If you notice, he's always late, arriving on the play when it's over.
Yeah he played corner in Montreal and they cut him. Do you think for one minute Matthews would put up with his play.
As far as Gordon goes, he couldn't win the job. The best man we had at safety was Sandy Beveridge. Just too bad he's had injuries that have kept him out. This guy hits like a truck, and is a dynamo on special teams. I'm sure he'd be starting if not for the injuries.
The Argos, who arguably have the best secondary in the league us a import at free safety. I'd love to see Kornegay or maybe a Goss type back there. Someone who can cover a lot of ground, is a sure tackler who's not afraid to stick his nose in there.
Shaw will not be our safety next year. Not if we're going to have a first rate secondary. :cowboy:

Shaw may be near most plays but he should take lessons on how to make the big hit as Tay cody does.Shaw bounces off alot of tackles.HE ALSO HAS HANDS OF STONE I DON,T THINK HE COULD CATCH A BEACH BALL IF HE TRIED. If desjardins would replace him at safty it would probably be Phillip Gauthier. sorry to see gordon go .

I think Beveridge is our best hope at safety. He hits almost as well as Cody. Remember our first win against Calgary? Beveredge stopped Burris short of a first down right at the end with a huge hit. I hope he is back next year.

8) Heard on CHML this morning that if Gordon plays at least 3 games with the Riders this year, then the Cats will get a 5th round pick, instead of a 6th rounder !!!! Hey, we are moving up, slowly but surely !!!! :lol:

If Shaw is as bad as somne of you insist he is , why then did he get the job back after he came back from injury ?? I think we really suffered when he was out . I love the way we use him to blitz !!!!!

Hey Habman,

You're intitled to your opinion.
I see Shaw as easily our weakest player on the defence. He came back after his injury and played because he was the best we had at the time. Beveridge was hurting or I believe he'd would be our starter at safety. There is no comparison between the two. Sandy Beveridge is quite a bit like Hitch out there. He always seems to get his nose in the play and hits a ton. Also on special teams, he was a impact player.
Gordon wasn't going to beat either of these two out. For next season don't be surprised to see a import back there though.

I EMBARRASSSED to say that I completely FORGOT about Sandy Beveridge !

My OPINION is that Sandy is a SERVICEABLE to Pretty Good Safety. When you factor in he is a NI then he becomes even more VALUABLE.

Peace.

hes always tryna punch the ball out
Funny..thats one of the things I hate most about Shaw (assuming the intent of the message was that he is always trying to punch the ball out). Watch him get dragged for another 10-15 yards while trying to do that. For the amount of times he is successful, it isnt worth it.

he doesn't get dragged, he just bounces off the ball-carrier because he doesnt wrap them up.