Schonert fired, AC and Dinwiddie become co-OCs

Of course 20 plays can each have embedded variations; especially running plays (e.g., optional handoff with a roll out and pass/pitch/reverse option).

Besides, if WELL EXECUTED then 20 plays may be more than enough.

Indeed. By 20 plays, I took AC to mean exactly what you are describing: 20 plays with option routes, multiple formations, and play action possibilities.

Besides, if WELL EXECUTED then 20 plays may be more than enough.
:thup: No use having a playbook 50-deep if you can't execute any of it with precision / success.

An injured Austin started that 1994 Grey Cup for the Lions. But Danny McManus came off the bench at the end of the first half and went the rest of the game, leading the Lions to victory. Next year Baltimore beat the Stamps to win the Grey Cup.

From Herb’s latest piece:

[i]“I don’t know if we can be any worse on offence,? said general manager Jim Popp, who replaced Higgins as head coach more than two weeks ago, Montreal having split two games since heading into a bye week in the schedule. The team is still 4-6 overall, last in the East Division.

What had become increasingly apparent was that the Schonert experiment — a relatively inexperienced OC new to the Canadian Football League — wasn’t going to end well. The problems were ongoing. His relationship with the other offensive coaches wasn’t the greatest, and it was quite obvious he demonstrated tough love with the quarterbacks, particularly starter Rakeem Cato, whose performances and development have regressed.

“We’ve been really bad at home protecting (the quarterback) and not being able to throw the ball. And in the two (recent) wins we didn’t really throw the ball anywhere down the field. I’ve watched the digression of the passing game, of being able to push the ball down the field,? Popp said. “There are other problems that aren’t on the field. The root of the problem starts off the field before you see the product on the field."[/i]

Glad to see Popp right on top of the absence of a vertical passing game from Schonert, who was clearly from the old-school NFL “four yards and a cloud of dust” approach in which you dinked and dunked at all times, and which doesn’t work up here because you only have three downs to make those 10 yards, not four. Trestman understood that even a WC offense had to be able to stretch the field to keep defenses honest. Popp knows that and I’m sure AC and Dinwiddie know that too. Looking forward to seeing how we attack Winnipeg next game.

Funny in retrospect that Popp had Schonert on the short list to replace Trestman. Then he and the owner chose Hawkins. Then he couldn't wait to bring him in last year and trumpet later that his initiative to bring in Schonert and Garcia saved the season last year. all just odd.

Schonert a fait du bon travail l’an dernier avec les receveurs. Il y a été bien meileur que Campbell.

Il faut aussi se rappeler que ces embauches sont survenues moins d’une semaine après que le génial Tom Higgins ait dit aux média qu’il n’avait aucune solution pour les problèmes des Alouettes.

On peut le dire ainsi : Schonert est peut-être un bon entraîneur de position, mais il n’est pas compétent pour être coordonnateur. On ne connaît rien de sa valeur comme entraîneur-chef puisqu’il n’a jamais assumé ces fonctions.

Popp brought Garcia and Schonert in to save Higgins's bacon when it became clear that Higgins had no contacts left and couldn't bring in someone to replace the guy he hired (Worman). It was Higgins who chose to offer Schonert the OC job this offseason, according to Popp. And then he proved to be incapable of properly supervising Schonert.

I agree with LeStaf: Schonert did well at receivers coach (at least, better than Campbell) but he was a disaster as OC.

17 days break. Who do you think is more likely to bust their nuts for two weeks rewriting the Als playbook. Dinwiddie and AC or Schonert ?

This move had to happen and I'm confident these two are hard at work together to do the most they can to at least put up a score or two a game from that offense. Not expecting miracles just competency.

Exactly. Dinwiddie even said that regardless of experience level, nobody is going to outwork them as coaches, and I believe him.

This move had to happen and I'm confident these two are hard at work together to do the most they can to at least put up a score or two a game from that offense. Not expecting miracles just competency.
:thup: Bare, basic competence, that's the new standard. Nothing spectacular, no 300-yard games with 4 passing TDs, just the avoidance of self-inflicted wounds, a couple of majors, and the ability to move the ball at times so the D gets a bit of a breather. What Schonert was putting on the field this season was not pro-caliber, not acceptable, not even competent...