Schedule

Agree that for as much as TSN does they could do so much more.

Not a fan of the triple header Saturdays, one would have been enough for me. Would liked to have seen more Sunday games.

Looks like Grey Cup is a 3:00 pm local start. Will be a better game. Like.

TSN NFL obsession is dumb. In the NFL the expectation is for fans to follow the home team and not to watch every league game while in the CFL that is what some of us like to do.

Could have been worse. Fewer back to backs is another good move imo.

As long Bell holds rights to the nfl, theyre going to make sure that the Sunday slot is allocated for it.
Tsn is going to pump out football on basically everyday of the week once all leagues are in full swing.
Literally only tuesday and wednesday will be untouched.

Gornaldatron: You make a lot of good points in your post.

It always seems clear that US broadcasters make all decisions based solely on what works in the eastern time zone. CFL broadcast decisions, in contrast, seem to be geared towards western viewers (or easterners with insomnia). Although I suppose 4pm PT starts aren’t the most convenient for BC residents with jobs.

Not sure the NFL puts a lot of consideration into the ADT viewers though. I don’t think that time zone exists in the USA.

Riders have back to back against Edmonton the last 2 weeks of the season. Then if Edmonton can squeak out a win in the West semi they will back at Mosaic for the West final, so Riders will have to play them 3 games in a row. Not cool.

I have no problems with the 2019 CFL schedule.

The 81 regular games will be played on following days:

Thursdays- 12 games will be played. On 10 Thursdays. 2 games 2 times.
Fridays- 24 games will be played. On 20 Fridays. 2 games 4 times.
Saturdays- 40 games will be played. On 20 Saturdays. 2 games on 10 times. 3 games on 5 times.
Sundays- 2 games will be played. On 2 Sundays.
Mondays- 3 games will be played. On 2 Mondays. 2 games 1 time.

The weekly byes,per team, are as follows:

Toronto- Week 1. Week 9. Week 14.
Montreal- Week 2. Week 7. Week 12.
Calgary- Week 2. Week 11. Week 16.
Winnipeg- Week 2. Week 14. Week 21.
Ottawa- Week 3. Week 12. Week 17.
Edmonton- Week 4. Week 14. Week 19.
Saskatchewan- Week 5. Week 10. Week 15.
Hamilton- Week 6. Week 13. Week 18.
BC- Week 8. Week 12. Week 20.

3 teams will be on byes in weeks 2,12 and 14.

Winnipeg will be the team playing the longest period without a bye, i.e. 11 games/weeks. Playing week 3 to week 11 incl.

Richard

Am I the only one who noticed your assumption that the Roughriders will win the west division in 2019? ???

Your confused.

Western Final is not being played in Sask in 2019.

Oh, I’m sure the NFL doesn’t put any consideration into the ADT zone, but they can inadvertently earn more fans than the CFL by having better start times.

I’m originally from Vancouver, now living in Toronto, and these 10pm EDT start times suck. Living out west, I never noticed the difference. 4pm PDT starts were a little annoying on weekdays, but weekends were great for it. I could easily watch all of the games.

Ideally, Lions games would start at 1pm PDT if they have to be on a Saturday. Although I know the Lions ask the season ticket holders for start time preferences and most probably pick evenings. It just seems like there could be a huge amount of easterners that could be watching games on Saturday late afternoons rather than 10pm/11pm Saturday night.

Well the Labour Day situation is rather infuriating. If they gave BC a LDC game against Montreal or Ottawa I wouldn’t like it, but at least there’d be a somewhat understandable reason. But to give all three teams a LD bye? Huh?

NHL to announce Heritage Classic coming to Regina in October

The Riders are on the road for 3 consecutive weeks so this can go.

The NHL’s annual Winter Classic game will be held in South Bend, Indiana on New Year’s Day.
During the second intermission of that contest, the league will likely announce that Mosaic Stadium will play host to a game on Saturday, October 26.
620 CKRM has learned the two teams that will play will be the Calgary Flames and the Winnipeg Jets.
There has been lots of talk about a possible game coming to Regina since Hockey Night in Canada’s Elliotte Friedman discussed it during a recent Saturday night broadcast.
There were plans for a WHL outdoor game earlier this year between the Moose Jaw Warriors and Regina Pats to coincide with the Pats 100th anniversary, but that game was scrapped due to a combination of weather and low ticket sales.

https://www.620ckrm.com/2018/12/31/nhl-to-announce-heritage-classic-coming-to-regina-in-october

Cool to see the NHL going to Regina, but isn’t the end of October too warm for outdoor hockey?

If the NHL can play outdoor games in LA and Dallas, they’ll be fine for a Fall game in Regina.

Huh . . . actually, I didn’t know that they had done that. I guess they do know what they’re doing, though late November would still make more sense to me.

The NHL did Dodger Stadium a couple of years ago and will go to the old Cotton Bowl next year.
As for Regina, it seems that can be freezing with 25k winds just a few weeks after Labour Day.

unless I’m missing something, the scheduling for the winter classic was not well thought out,
Stampeders play Bombers @ 6:30 pm on the 25th.
Riders play in Edmonton @ 5:00 pm on the 26th
Jets play Flames on the 26th. probably in the afternoon ?
so who do you buy tickets for ?

The NHL does not care about/does not pay attention to the CFL.

More fans will be watching Riders game on TV than the NHL game.

Richard

I kinda hope Sask. fans shun the NHL game, it’s just a massive cash grab by a greedy corporation. Rider fans have nothing to prove. By supporting the NHL game it will draw millions of dollars out of the pockets of potential Rider ticket buyers…a very small market team by comparison. Instead Rider fans should watch the game on TV in the comfort of their home for free…and get primed up for the next Rider home game!

A little bizarre that City of Regina and Mosaic stadium would hold the game on the same day and time as their major tenant is playing elsewhere, but money talks, and if they think the City will swim in it, they will.

For myself, I won’t be travelling down to Regina, as I can’t say I get that excited about the outdoor games. Plus, ticket prices tend to be quite high, but if you are used to spending dollars for major concerts, it probably falls in line.

I will be probably watching the Rider game and setting the PVR for the Jets/Flames game.

Yeah these out door games are getting a little stale, money grab, I don’t see it succeeding , the pats game never went, just because sask supports the riders, doesn’t mean they will jump at any opportunity to support anything. The riders support has become a survival thing around here, but good luck.

Given it is a one time event to be held in Saskatchewan, I believe there will be more fans watching the NHL.