Schedule Proposal

I think the league should split up the labour day re-match and move it to thanksgiving weekend. It would make for a far more compelling product and guarantee it would be good for the CFL's bu$ine$$.

The other thing I'd do is have the defending Grey Cup champions always open up their season with a "stand alone" game. I think it's only fair that the league allows the champions to open up the season and the defence of their title. Secondly, no it should not be a Grey Cup re-match. Personally, I think that would be better left for sometime else in the season, where people could look forward to such a matchup. Open day or week of the season is a special occasion on itself. For many, it's Christmas in July or late June.

MORE THURSDAY night games! Because CFL fans love fighting traffic, being rushed, getting little sleep, being tired, being hungover, and then going to work on Friday.

Not a horrible idea, but I like things the way that they are. First, they already use a marquee matchup to kick things off, often a GC rematch (Als/Riders or Als/Lions). Second, with all the 'set in stone' Labour Day games, that means that if say Sask and Winnipeg both miss the playoffs, they would be the defacto 4th game in week 1, which means either no TF LD classic or no Banjo Bowl. Similar things if say Ham and TO miss, that means that the entire schedule has to work around week 1, and back to back LD matchups with these 2. People already complain about seeing the same teams 3 times in 5 games and such. It will be much harder to spread the matchups out if you add yet more formatting to the schedule.

2x7=14 (home and home against everyone)
1x3=3 (extra game against conference opponents)
1x1=1 (extra game against labour day rival)

14+3+1=18

Wouldn’t affect labour day at all

Well that changes who you play. The only LD rivals not in their own division are Peg and Sask. Are you saying that Hamilton and Toronto MUST play each other 4 times every year? And the Lions and Als MUSt play 3 times every year even though they are not in the same division? What happens to the rotation? Last year Calgary played Sask 4 times. In '09 they played BC 4 times. This year they will play the Esks 4 times. ARe you saying that they MUST play Edmonton 4 times EVERY year?

I thought that was the way the schedule worked. But regardless, it would only be a “must” if two labour day opponents played in the Grey Cup.

From what I have read on here, Thursday night games anywhere but in Toronto I think make the most sense, but it seems it almost always that Toronto is playing on Thursday night. :thdn:

Thursday night football is absolutely great and often a better time to watch for more folks than the very late game on the West Coast on Friday night.

uh hello, this is pretty much how it is already.

but they rotate that extra game amongst the teams in your own division.

wow really bright there. :roll:

Did you read the op?

BC v Mtl?

[url=http://twitter.com/#!/News1130Sports/status/168008238510522369]http://twitter.com/#!/News1130Sports/st ... 8510522369[/url]

It looks like we’ll get a Grey Cup rematch after all.

Actually, looking back at past schedules, it seems as though the league has always tried to schedule a Grey Cup rematch unless scheduling conflicts got in the way.

2012: Winnipeg at BC
2011: BC at Montreal (Maybe because another Sask/Montreal opening game would be redundant?)
2010: Montreal at Saskatchewan (not IN Montreal because of renovations to Molson Stadium)
2009: Montreal at Calgary
2008: Edmonton at Saskatchewan (Labour Day Classic conflicts)
2007: Toronto at BC (Labour Day conflicts)
2006: Edmonton at Calgary (Ottawa folding changed schedule. Original schedule [[url]http://www.cfl.ca/article/2006_cfl_schedule[/url]] had Edmonton at Montreal)
2005: Lions at Toronto
2004: Edmonton at Montreal
2003: Montreal at Edmonton
2002: Edmonton at Calgary
2001: Edmonton at BC

Once Ottawa comes back to the league, there is no reason why there wouldn't be a GC rematch in week one. From 2003-2006, it looks like this is what the league was trying to do. There would be no interconference Labour Day match ups, so it should be easy. Hopefully the CFL can make it happen, because I think the fans would like to see it.

So Geroy is going to get a shot to break Milt Stegall’s reception record on home turf against his and Milt’s former team.