Say it aint so Doug

He will always remain my all time fav football player but this is so disappointing.

Former NFL star Doug Flutie condemned for campaigning with Herschel Walker: 'Sad day' (msn.com)

To say no one is perfect would be an understatement, sigh

1 Like

Being loyal to a former teammate is an admirable quality. It's most likely not going to make any difference to voters either way.

2 Likes

I can now put Flutie in the same bin as Walker, Aaron Rodgers and Marjorie Taylor Green. Earth to Doug? Come in.

3 Likes

yeaaaa, unfortunately some star athletes have been known to be of questionable ilk. i mean Bobby Orr is a Trump supporter so… i loved Flutie as a player. but being good at sport doesn’t equate to being good person.

4 Likes

yeah, thought of that. I think he went too far on that score.

I don’t watch these guys for their politics or opinions, which they are entitled to just like you and me.

I watch them because their athleticism and ability to play at a high level are entertaining. Full stop.

Granted, I draw the line at supporting athletes who are criminals or documented as horrific human beings (by my own moral code).

I may not agree with who they vote for or support, but really, that's their choice and I have no right or cause to take that away from them. Their politics, religion, and beliefs have absolutely zero effect on their on-field performance, and thus zero effect on my enjoyment from watching them do what they are (or were) paid to do.

7 Likes

I agree about why we watch them, but it doesnt mean we should have no opinion on anything else they choose to do in public

4 Likes

You are correct. If they are going to voluntarily put their politics out there, it ceases to be private.

My own choice is to ignore as much of that stuff as I can, and respect their play and abilities for what they are.

4 Likes

That's true . I'm sure that a lot of OJ Simpson's former teammates still think he is a wonderful human being and an all around great guy . :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

I'd like to think most reasonable people can distinguish between poor voting choices and multiple murder.

4 Likes

emphasis on "reasonable" unfortunately applies when one is talking about poor voting choices , especially when it comes to the good old U.S of A an a certain ex POTUS and his cult like followers .

3 Likes

hey, it was never proven :slight_smile:

do we assume, if person B supports person A and person C supports person B, then does it follow that person C supports person A?

Forget about political opinions on this one. Like Trump, Walker is a pathological liar. All of the crazy people mentioned in this thread by comparison are also liars. That’s enough for me to criticize them and hope they never get elected, regardless of their party. And Herschel doesn’t really have political views. He can’t even spell politics and I’m not sure if he can read.

2 Likes

The way O.J. Simpson knifed his way through defensive formations was truly terrifying. His killer instinct would serve him well when it came time to gut that 2000 yard barrier.

Meanwhile as a husband Simpson may not be considered to be a cut above the rest but at least he took a stab at it.

7 Likes

Oh I don't disagree with you. My only point was that I don't really pay attention to athletes' political or other opinions, nor do those opinions sway my vote in any way. I just watch them play.

3 Likes

OJ was probably the greatest slashing running back that ever played . :hocho: :black_heart:

4 Likes

Did he ever get cut?

4 Likes

I think he might've had a paper cut once .

2 Likes

Watching him was a slice

4 Likes