Sask. vs Eskimos

This is getting disgusting. How many have they missed this year. They don’t get it.

30-27 Rider final....great game

After looking at the rule book again, the review could have, and should have, overturned the fumble.

Where a turnover is the direct result of a major foul [b]which was not penalized[/b] (e.g. clothesline which caused a fumble, face mask on a tackle when a fumble occurs) Note: The reviewable aspect of this play is that the alleged major foul was the primary cause of the turnover. If there was no change of possession, this play is not reviewable.

Man the Eskimos are frustrating. They’re in EVERY game, but can’t quite seem to get it done.

I don’t really know how to rate them. They’re not a good team (good teams aren’t 1-7), but for a bad team they do a remarkable job of hanging in games against good teams.

I’ve lost count of how many games lost by bad reffing, poor clock management, dumb coaching, we could be 7-1 seems were able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Again losers make excuses, winners find a way.

As much as I am loathe to agree with Oilerrocker, that didn't sound to me like he was making excuses.

OK, I'll grant the bad officiating could be an excuse, but he kind of has a point with it. I don't know if today's missed call would have affected the game ending (at least not any more than the missed holds going the other way that led to TDs), but I would certainly guess that the non-review at the end of the Edmonton/Montreal game likely affected the WinLoss record. (2-6 vs 1-7)

But the other stuff he mentioned...bad coaching and poor clock management...those aren't excuses to me. To me that's an admission that the Eskimos are blowing their own chances at victory. Same with the "we're able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory" comment. I don't see an excuse there. I see him lamenting the way things have turned out, but not trying to lay blame on anyone but the Esks themselves.

Mr Oilerrocker and I have differing opinions on, well, virtually everything. But in this case, I don't think that the "losers make excuses" comment applies.

Now back to normal life...the military rules, unions suck, and the government has no business funding anything :twisted: :wink:

Yes it was a helmet-to-helmet hit and should have been called, and the Eskimos should have had a first down and kept the ball. I don’t think it was intentional (I could be wrong) but he is responsible for his helmet and this is possibly suspendable.

yes it was- excitement in all three phases!

I expected the dud of the weekend, but it was a very entertaining game. Slow start, but great 2nd half.

First off...what a game.
Great weather
Great crowd
Great teams

Even with the loss...Game ball to Mike Reilly! The guy has been just sensational, and while Durant statistically edged him, Reilly was sensational in more than just passing. He put the team on his shoulders in a heart breaker. The hits...kid...you are one tough mofo, but your team needs you! He was walking wobbly and the sun was killing him on the sideline...I fear he slipped through concussion protocol.

As for the hit late in the game...clearly high. That said, I heard a lot of talk about intentional head shot...the shoulder was lowered...clearly not intentional...penalty....should have been yes, tough break indeed.

The only thing I got a bit of a chuckle on was when he was begging for the PI on the end zone pick...so totally no PI.

Hugh O'Neill looks like he could kick a 55 yarder with ease...huge leg...he was impressive!

Marcus Henry is a star, we just don't know it yet.

Rennie Curran has been stepping in admirably at LB for the Esks...hats off to him.

Diamond Ferri...love his energy, he does a lot of good things....he may have to go. 2 huge majors!

Taj Smith...well, I definitely was not a big fan when he first came on board, but he has been growing on me, and this game was impressive. He is fighting for every inch, he is throwing blocks, he has some aggression...lack of aggression was always what turned me off about him...he looks great!

Chamblin...what the H? The 2 no-gos on 3rd and short? The second one I could kinda agree with, but the 1st pissed me off. 3rd and a foot, maybe a foot and a half...I did not agree with that one.

The fumble in the 1st half that got overturned...I have not seen the great replays, but the ones that I have seen, you could NOT see that ball NOT come loose before being downed...technically it should have stood, but I was really happy the refs overturned it, because I truly thought he was down.

Defensively, Anderson was like 'oh, oh, please tap that Stamps well one too many times...please do it.' And for that he gets my nod for defensive player. He had a couple misses, but overall had a great game.

Durant should have been picked once, probably twice in the 1st quarter. Eron Riley helped break one up anyways. He was forcing too many early, but late 1st on was money. Besides that, what else can you say but sensational outing by the man. 80% passing, 300+ yard, no turnovers...I'll take it.

I was glad to see McHenry back. He didn't get a pile of action, give it a week or 2, but I see him as one of the more overlooked parts of this O.

I really liked that one option play the Esks ran a few times, where Reilly kinda ran a counter instead of a sweep/roll. I would like to see the Riders steal that, as well as the odd Wildcat.

There is so much good to saw about both teams in all aspects of this game. Despite the higher yardage, both Defenses actually had pretty solid games. I say several catches where you could not really ask for better coverage...simply perfect placement or sensational grabs. The trickery play with Reilly on the option fooled the Riders a few times, and the Esks struggled against the run in the 2nd half. There were open receivers at times, but it was often from flooding zones, not bad D.

Willis going out was a huge lift for the Riders. Hope he recovers well for the home and away against the Stamps.

What a game though....what a game

Kudos and thank-you to both the teams in Green. This was a very well rounded game!

Hey...so why no screaming about the overturned fumble in the first half where you could never see him down with the ball? Was it the right call???? Absolutely....I am glad it was overturned, but TECHNICALLY it never should have been.

What about the horrid illegal block on that big return for the Esks? That really set that play up.

That last fumble was high for sure. I by no means believe it was intentional...he was lowering his body to make the hit, but it was definitely a penalty. That said, watch the replay...the ref behind the play, who would typically be making the call, was trailing and shielded from the exact hit. I can totally understand how it was not seen / called. However, the argument that the fumble should have been overturned because of it has definite merit. The problem is, can you unequivocally say that with 3 guys...well 2 ...hitting him at the same time that the high hit caused it? I am not so convinced there. Had they overturned it, would/could not really argue against it either though.

Calls get messed up in every league. This is not a CFL exclusive. I am not arguing that the Esks ended up on the short end of the calls late when it really counted, but there were calls as such that went both ways.

As for not protecting Qbs...well, I believe that the reffing has been calling the late hits pretty consistently. I mean, it used to be that you had a couple steps and could still hit. Now we see the flags on basically a step...I often feel too much so...how do you stop that big arse full speed train in 1 step? BUT it is at least fairly consistent.

The head shots...most are being called. This becomes a lot harder when the ref is further from the play. Reilly was rolling out, not in the pocket...this makes that task a LOT more challenging when you are a dozen - 15 yards behind/towards the middle of the field.

I personally am more concerned with the calls being made when the QB is within the pocket, which IMO has been fairly consistent...misses...of course, but respectable over all.

And to those who don't think the officiating is better the past couple years under Higgins...as bad as you see it, it was miles worse before.