Same Old Story But No New Ending...

I agree whole-heartedly with Dooger’s comments posted yesterday. I just thought I’d add some of my own to help ease my own frustration on the part of some 45,000 people who, although “you pay your money…you take your chances”, did NOT get any considerable entertainment value from one of the teams…the one wearing orange…

As my subject bar states, it’s the “same old story” on many levels…

1. The Lions had 2 weeks off to prepare for Calgary. Clearly, especially Chapdelaine and probably Stubler too, they didn’t have a contigency plan in place of what to do if Calgary throws new wrinkles at them. Those “new” wrinkles exposed themselves on the second play when ONCE AGAIN (just like in Saskatchewan, Edmonton, etc.) the Lions back end of Muamba et al were exposed for not owning up to your job of being able to know who to cover and where. Chapdelaine’s track record (Yes I’m singling him out again) has shown that he doesn’t do enough to change things or know when to change them. His “Let’s throw a four-yard out when we need 10 yards” in the second half is a perfect example of this. As for Stubler, his over-aggressive defence also cost the team yesterday. ANY team in the league now will simply wait for a blitz, stunt to come off the edge and then have a QB step up and dump-off/screen pass to the running back. It’s simple community football. But back to Muamba…

2. I don’t know if you can lay the blame exclusively on Muamba, but he clearly seems to be one of the weaker safeties in the league in terms of game and secondary knowledge/coverage. Thoughts of “Is the secondary over-aggressive, lazy, undisciplined, etc.” come to mind. Or…could it be that they just don’t communicate with one another. But how, on God’s Green Earth, can you have Calgary receivers WIDE open (especially the first one) NOT ONCE, NOT TWICE, but THREE times. Jim Young could have gone out there to catch passes from Kevin Glenn given how wide open they were. Our secondary has become somewhat of an achilles heel for the team. I’m a huge Banks, Phillips, Parker fan, but what gives???

3. And, last for now, how the team clearly not answer the emotional-psychological bell of a 1:30 game start. I believe this has happened multiple times this season. Who is to blame for this?

I believe 45,000 fans strong who screamed their heads off yesterday are due an explanation of how it wasn’t just Calgary that beat us. The Lions beat themselves driving to the stadium…

Your post sums up a lot for me. I was so disgusted by the Lions' performance, I couldn't post a comment till now. I'm on the 45,000 that booed the offence off the field.

Happy that the Argos won though - especially for Ray and the long suffering Argo fans.