SAM linebacker

I agree. Things would have most likely been OK at that spot but it goes to what Lapo was fired for. Heffney whining in the media about playing that position. The coach tells you where to play and you play there. Thats it. I dont know what Heffneys status is contract wise but if he is a free agent let him go and find a more team oriented DB. IF not seek out a trade but Heffney should be the first to go. Complaining about where he starts at is just not good for the team morale and Unity. If he can get away with it others will follow suite. Its not like he was not starting.

Bingo. That position is a hybrid spot in this defense requiring the ability to cover and play up. It requires a physical presence which hefney has and showed well at last yaer. I think they figured that Hefney would slide into that spot based on his performance filling in for Kent last year and when he balked publicly like he did, it looks like they had no clue what to do next other than give Hefney what he wanted and then were left scrambling for options. I am surprised they are only getting to Sears in that spot this late in the season, I felt a while ago that he might be a good fit there as he has a physical style to his approach.

Whop assigns players on defense ? the HC or the DC ? Blame Lapolice all you want. Like Bob Irving says don’t get hit by a car.

:roll: Oh brother. I don't know what 'whop' means, except maybe you've been listening to too much Gangnam Style. I can only assume the Bob Irving quote is out of context, because it just doesn't fit here. But, I'll play along with ya anyway. The players attitudes, in this case, Hefney's refusal to play SAM, and public whining about it, is directly reflective of the respect given to the head coach by the players.

The head coach bears sole responsibility for the whining and lack of respect by his players. They are HIS players.

Should have not let his unhappiness make it to the Media and then get his way. Seems like there was a lack of communication there before they made the move to release Kent. If Hefney was aware and refused to play the position he should have been the one that got dumped. Hefney being an all CFL could have been traded. Montreal comes to mind an All star DB for a young lineman that the Als seem to always stock up on. The Als draft them train them well and when it comes their time to step into a starters role if none are available on the Als O line then they get traded off.

I was very vocal at the begining of the year about my displeasure with Hefney (and Johnson). But Hef has been quietly going about his buisness lately, he hasn't been an all star but he hasn't been getting burnt often either.

If Lapo would have sat Hef though when those comments were made he might still be coaching this team. I still could care less if we got rid of either of those 2 - way too much ego and not enough results. The future of the secondary is in Sears/Washington and Stewart. It was the emergence of these guys that made Kent expendable.

I agree. they will need to do a bit of house cleaning and the first to go would be two guys one an all star in 2011 and one the D MOP in 2011 have not lived up to their billing this year and the swaggerville ERA will be over alopng with the egos that go with them. New leaders will emerge likely in the roles of lead by example like Iam Logan and young star MLB Muomba.

Just because burke was the DC under LaPo does not necessarily mean he selected which players he got to keep on his defense coming out of camp. As the season goes on and injuries, disciplinary actions, or other factors may affect who is available to play and its ultimately the HC who had a fair amount of input into who Burke could put on the field. Specifically its injuries to the NI players and how the team may have to adapt to them and the way they work the ratio that could affect starters or player rotations. What if, as a for instance, Burke preferred an import middle linebacker and keeping the NI spot on the Dline by finding another NI to replace Doug Brown. In this case LaPo got to make the call as to how the ratio was used and for Burke to adapt to it. Playcalling does not equate total control for a co-ordinator as to who plays and who doesn’t.

...Burke is quoted as saying that 'Kent is not a starter in Edm. (his current gig) either...I don't know who was responsible for Kents release but didn't he also get the heave-ho when Burke was the Als. d co-ordinator....Clearly there was no luv for Clint BUT there was plenty of luv from his brothers in arms, Hef. and J.J. who were a little upset with their friends departure...They should have both been called on it by the head-coach (lapo) and were not... When other players see that kind of scenario, you can bet their respect for Lapo went out the window...This is also a business and you make decisions that will get you into the winners circle...IT IS NOT a popularity contest...hence Pauls demise..that along with the horrendous offensive (and i do mean offensive) play calling cost Lapolice his job.. :wink: All water under the bridge now.....This club is about to make a big turn-around...I do like Sears at sam ( although I think he's a little light for the position) he hits like a demon..

Burke wasn't with the Als when Kent was there. Kent was there in 2006 and Burke was with Calgary then.

They are young players and they will mature. They figure they had the world by the balls last year and it went a little to their heads maybe. Hefney is going to have a tougher time there is a clear move to tall receivers and DB’s. Its THE position of strenght for the Bombers If they can get them all locked down trading one of the two for a position of need and breaking that posse before next year’s camp might be a good idea.

:roll: Oh brother. I don't know what 'whop' means, except maybe you've been listening to too much Gangnam Style. I can only assume the Bob Irving quote is out of context, because it just doesn't fit here. But, I'll play along with ya anyway. The players attitudes, in this case, Hefney's refusal to play SAM, and public whining about it, is directly reflective of the respect given to the head coach by the players.

The head coach bears sole responsibility for the whining and lack of respect by his players. They are HIS players.

Heyyy! Pretty Lady. I actually prefer Hyuna’s version to PSY. Should check it out. Out little Korean babe. Bob Irving said not to get hit by a car after you hung up on the call in show monday :lol:

[/quote]
Yeah…wrong Kubie, way to dodge the point though. I’ll give you credit. You are good at that.

Sure Kubie 8)

:roll:

Thanks for proving my last point.

Man, people are falling over themselves trying to let Burke off the hook. He’s supposed to be this tough disciplinarian, what exactly was he doing when Hefney didn’t want to play SAM? HE was the DC. If he couldn’t get the players to play specific positions, it’s on him.

I like Burke, and I think he’ll grow into being a good head coach here, but this revisionist history is hilarious. The man is human and can make mistakes. He cut Kent thinking he could just plug anyone into that SAM backer spot and have success, and he was very, very wrong.

CFL is a copycat league. They are trying to do what Montreal did with TJ Hill and Chip Cox. The player has to be willing and these moves have to be planned for training camp, not in week 18. Saw them copy the exact play we run to Bomben with Vega this weekend. down to the receiver routes. I guess Crowton decided if I can design an offense. I might as well just copy what Treastman is doing :lol: I don’t have a problem with it but then they go on the call in show and tell Burke how much of a genius Crowton is. Burke didn’t say a word… :wink:

That’s quite the stretch, but then, you’ve never been one to let facts get in the way of trying to make a point.

There isn’t an OC anywhere in football that doesn’t copy plays from other teams. It’s the whens and hows that the plays are used that reflects on the quality of the OC.

What stretch? I heard the “other” Kubie say it on CJOB myself. Crowton is a genius ! Answer me this if they all copy. Someone somewhere must have designed the play at some point ? If you think Trestman copies plays from Crowton I have some stuff to sell you :slight_smile:

Man, people are falling over themselves trying to let Burke off the hook. He’s supposed to be this tough disciplinarian, what exactly was he doing when Hefney didn’t want to play SAM? HE was the DC. If he couldn’t get the players to play specific positions, it’s on him.

I like Burke, and I think he’ll grow into being a good head coach here, but this revisionist history is hilarious. The man is human and can make mistakes. He cut Kent thinking he could just plug anyone into that SAM backer spot and have success, and he was very, very wrong.
[/quote]
Nobody’s falling over, and there’s no revisionist history. Was Burke involved I the decision? Probably. But it’s the head coach with the ultimate responsibility. He’s the face of the franchise and letting hefney publicly whine until he got his own way is on Lapo. He should have handled the whole thing differently.
If you don’t agree, that’s fine, but please don’t presume I’m rewriting history to protect our HC.