Salary cap...what a joke!

well, go to the avatars in the profile section and you'll see there are almost no eastern team avatars or CFL logos ( i'd pick the logo )...so i just pick whichever one looks nice.

It's way too early to tell if anyone is going to be over the SMS cap this season. Cut or trade even one big-name salary and all of a sudden your team could be under the cap. We aren't talking NFL million dollar contracts here.

Incidentally, is there any chance the Cats might've been over the "cap" last year with all their big-name signings of the previous off-season? My guess is most if not all the teams have been playing pretty fast & loose with their salary structures for years. How'd the Als keep all those rosters intact year after year? or BC? or...?

Hopefuly this new SMS will have some teeth in it.

An Argo fan

What a Joke is correct!!!

Sask Riders lose players and the Eskimoes gain players ....

What a league!... when you look at it this time of year..
I'd be pissed if I was a Rider fan, good thing they are have incredible scouts or connections.

It seems like a joke though even if the Esks are cutting and trading away salary and acting like some players will take cuts you have to wonder what really goes on behind the scenes.
We know what is really happening,oh well thats the CFL!

I find it amusing that the Cats have been voted 10% likely to exceed the cap or bend the rules. After all the cuts that have been made and minimal FA signings?

Yeah....right.

Teams exceeding the cap will be penalized one dollar for every dollar over the cap up to $100,000. The ratio is 2:1 if it's exceeded between $101,000 and $300,000, while it increases to 3:1 for $301,000 and above. Teams also can be forced to relinquish up to two Canadian draft choices depending on the amount of their transgression.

Hardy, a chartered accountant who specializes in investigative and forensic accounting, is auditing each team, identifying potential problems before the season begins. While he has been given the authority to examine each team's books three times during the season, Hardy said owners with other holdings might pay the players through their parent companies, negating his power significantly.

re-Hardy said owners with other holdings might pay the players through their parent companies, negating his power significantly. --------- As long as its off the teams bottum line who cares, as long as the teams books are balanced, if the owner can eat some expenses with personal funds he/she should be applauded :thup:

With the Riders being reportedly the second highest team salary wise next to Toronto last season, and over $500,000 over the cap, they should be expecting to lose players for certain!

Funny how the Riders slide in under the radar ,maybe this salary cap isn't so far out of an idea after all....?

One thing I've wondered is how replacement for injured players works in the new salary system.

An injured player still gets paid, veterans who are on the roster after a certain point still get paid even if they are released. Bringing in new players as often happens after labour day in the CFL also cost money. Does anybody have any hard info on how this works.

For example if you've spent to the cap and have a lot of injuries and players need to be replaced what do you do? Go over the cap and are forced to pay or are there exceptions?

Just curious.

You would have to pay the injuried player as well as his replacement. I believe that is way the Cats released Cheatwood because they feel he wont be ready to start the season and they would have to pay his replacement as well.

yes it a Gamble But I won’t Count Timmy out …
He be ready for Montreal when Camp opens…
Then He Destroy Maas all Season Long…

Guess that would make you one happy ti-cat “fan” wouldn’t it? Instead of all this wishing and hoping
for Maas to fail or get hurt,why don’t you make it easy and run him down on the street yourself.

If you really look at Maas' stats and as bad as they are: 8 tds, 17 ints. Really, the playing calling just couldnt get the team in the endzone. His interceptions believe it or not arent so much the problem...Ray 18 ints, Calvillo 15 ints, Burris 18 ints, Joseph 17 ints, Glenn 13 ints.

I think with Maas clearing up his shoulder and Charlie calling the plays, we will see much improvement. Maas has thrown for 5, 270 yrds, 31 tds and 14 ints in a season before.

yes it a Gamble But I won't Count Timmy out .. He be ready for Montreal when Camp opens.. Then He Destroy Maas all Season Long..
Correct me if I'm wrong..but can't he only hurt us when we play them?