Salary cap troubles???

[url=http://thestar.blogs.com/thespin/2006/12/limits_on_large.html]http://thestar.blogs.com/thespin/2006/1 ... large.html[/url]

The CFL now has a salary cap, which of course will come as a surprise to those who thought it had a salary cap before.

But let's not go over that comedy sketch again.

The new cap is slightly more than $4 million per team, and it comes with a host of new penalties for going over the cap or otherwise trying to find innnovative ways around it, plus league executives whose job it will be to make sure every team is in compliance.

This has produced different responses from different teams.

The Grey Cup champion B.C. Lions are owned by David Braley, who, along with Montreal owner Bob Wetenhall, voted against the new salary cap measures.

When the cap police showed up at the Lions' offices to start examining what the team's payroll looked like, they were told to get lost.

Nope, can't see our books.

Then there's the Toronto Argonauts. A conservative estimate is with the likes of Damon Allen and Ricky Williams in the lineup, the Argos spent about $5 million on players last season.

Obviously they had some adjustments to make.

That's why you've seen a host of established Argo vets booted out the door in the past week.

Antonius Bonner. Eric England. Clifford Ivory. R. Jay Soward. Keith Stokes.

Some, like Soward, were likely gone anyway on the basis of their play last season.

But some had to go so the Argos could replace them with younger, cheaper players next season that would properly position the club under the salary cap.

So the Lions responded one way and the Argos another. One senses that the cap is going to be a matter of some conflict in the coming months. This time, instead of pitting teams like Montreal and B.C. against a commissioner like Tom Wright, it's going to see those teams locking horns with other teams like Calgary, Toronto and Winnipeg.

Teams traditionally ignored the last salary cap too, until the league just gave up and decided to tell the world that what has been advertised as a a cap was actually a minimum.

It's likely the same abuses will occur this time unless swift measures are taken. With Wright officially history as of Jan. 1st, and no replacement in sight, it's hard to believe there will be the necessary leadership out of the CFL's head office to make the new rules stick.

Like I said, cap or no cap, penalties or no penalties, until the CFL gets leadership with enough of a backbone to FORCE teams like the Lions to open their books, as required by the rule, and actually ENFORCE the penalties against violators of the cap, the salary cap will remain a meaningless number on a piece of paper.

The day that the CFL actually takes money and draft picks away from teams that refuse to open their books, or spends more than the cap, I won't believe there is actually a cap. It is a shame, but we'll have to wait and see.

I thought BC and Montreal are supposed to be some of the teams well under the cap. If that's the case what are they so worried about?

Guess it's not true.

Its because many posters believe that if you win you have gone over the cap!

Umn i think you misread what i said. I was saying that i always hear people talking about BC as being well under the cap where as most teams are over.

No I understood what you mean and I believe it to be true as I believe the Als stay under the cap.

I am refering to others who feel that BC must be over because thay have a winning team

I would say the odds are pretty good that is the case.

If Montreal has been so diligent to stay under the proposed cap, then why would they have voted against it? Wouldn't they want to ensure that other teams could not outbid them for talent, by spending over the cap?

Pigseye!
I don't feel it is the case at all. Montreal has for years been able to field a team with good quality rookies who are paid almost nothing. How many name players have Montreal lost in the last few years because they would not meet their dollar demands and were then quite successful in replacing them with younger cheaper players?

larry we have gone over your question time and time again. Montreal has gone on record stating they were against the cap because it is to easy to go around it. The easiest way is to pay a player to do nothing but shake hands or be a rep of a company that team owner owns. They feel that if it cannot be properly enforced then there is no reason to have one.

Then how does the NFL and NHL enforce a cap?? Can owners not pay players in those leagues $2 million to shake a rep’s hand?

Every major league in North America enforces a salary cap. Some are soft caps, such as MLB, and some are hard caps, such as the NHL. But workable, enforceable salary caps are nothing new to professional sports. To say that the CFL shouldn't have a salary cap because it could never be enforced is hogwash. The CFL doesn't have a salary cap because teams like BC and Montreal oppose it, and the league office doesn't have the backbone to enforce it. Rather than opposing the cap, perhaps Montreal's owners should support the idea of hiring, and keeping, a commissioner who will enforce a salary cap.

A salray cap is easy to enforce in a league like the NHL where all the salaries are made public.

Then how does the NFL and NHL enforce a cap?? Can owners not pay players in those leagues $2 million to shake a rep's hand?
Sure they can, and they might just to that. Who knows? But at those salaries they dont really have to do they?

The point is that there are many ways around a cap and BC and Montreal votes no because they thought a cap was pointless, not because they want to break it.

Even if it is enforced, it can always be eluded with under the table money.

Good point. I guess that's why the proposed new CFL salary cap requires all teams to make their salaries public. It also makes "under the table" deals illegal, with severe consequences. There are no "under the table" deals allowed with the NHL cap, either. And you can't claim that wealthy owners and players wouldn't be tempted, either. Players have left their NHL teams all the time in the past for far less than a $500,000 difference in offers. Somehow, other leagues are able to enforce the public salaries, under the table deals, and any other loopholes. If all CFL owners had the will for this to happen, there is no reason that it couldn't.

Teams in the NHL and the NFL, just like they will in the CFL,go to the brink of the cap. So yes if teams in those leagues could swing it they would pay players, anyway, anyhow, so they could have the best.

Part of the issue is that it's alot easier to make a couple thousand dollars dissapear then it is a half a million

Part of the problem is that some very wealthy, very powerful owners are against the idea of a cap, period. Part of the problem is that the last Commissioner that the CFL had that was wanting to enforce a salary cap next year, did not have his contract renewed at the end of last season.

To make it worth moving your family, very few CFL players have left for around $10,000 difference, if money was the only issue. NHL players have left for less than $100,000 difference, so the gap is not as great as you suggest. Besides, I don’t think the average community owned team in the CFL is worried about a team going over the cap by a “couple thousand dollars”. They are worried about the personal services contracts worth tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of dollars, that players like Flutie, Ismail, Ricky Williams, etc have received in the past.

If the CFL is going to survive, with any kind of a level playing field, a salary cap is a must. The defeatist attitude, of “it’s tough, so let’s quit”, doesn’t to anybody any good.

Reading through some of these posts, it seems that public disclosure of salaries is the only way to enforce the salary cap. Seems that I said that a few months ago in another topic.
The other thing about this is that why are Braley and Wettenhall so secretive about salaries that they give to the players? Are they hiding something that is illegal? Maybe the threat of a probe by the proper authorities might persuade them to let CFL officials look at what players' salaries are, and if they are, in fact, over the cap.

The agreement didn't set aside enough money for enforcement of the cap in the first place. I heard that the NFL sets aside about $20 million for cap enforcement every year while the CFL set aside something like $450 000 to set up an office for the west and one for the east. Now we have Braley blatantly disregarding the people who are suppose to enforce the agreement. I guess enemies of the cap like Braley and Wettenhall want everybody else gone so they can play by themselves.