Salary Cap Bad

I know, not another salary cap post.......we all seem to agree that the cap is good for the league, but there is a down side to it as well

a) will it make teams better cheaters at getting around the rules

b) will the owners get rich off it, keeping a substantial portion of what should be player salaries for themselves

c) will it scare off talented players from considering the cfl, what about canadian players, will they no longer see the cfl as an option

There are probably several more reasons against a cap but how do you feel about these.....argue away

This kind of brings me to a question. I'm a newbie to all this so I am wondering, NFL is the number one football league, so who is considered number 2? I know there is NFL Europe and this Arena league, but where does the CFL fit in?

.....silly Rob.....the CFL is the number one league..... :smiley:

Ditto for me, its the CFL on top of the mountain and then there is the rest. Absolutely no competition.

Most CFL fans(including me) consider them to be very different league that require different skill sets, so it's like asking who is considered the #1 league, the NBA or MLB or NFL or NHL?

When discussing the entertainment package, there is no other sporting event that can compare.

To me, the CFL's goal should be to strive for the #2 position. To do that, you've got to be able to pay players a good salary. The news articles talk about players working at other jobs in the offseason, you don't hear that with NFL players.

3.8million per club seems low to me. I hope the CFL can regularly boost that figure.

To address your questions

a) There won't be too many avenue to explore.

b) I would hope not. If they don't pay a good wage to players then they cannot attract top talent. After awhile, some fans will stop watching the game and the owners revenues will drop

c) It depends on what the other Leagues are paying their players. One thing the CFL has over NFLE is that it is not far from home for many US guys.

Again Rob, you are on the wrong site to suggest how the CFL should strive for 2nd. When you are on top, there is no need.

As you can tell, my post was constructed between comments. I understand that there are many differences between the CFL and the NFL, but it basically IS football.

We can all say its the number one league to us, as it should be, but a player who exhausts his NFL prospects is going to look for a league to play in. What are the pay scales for the Arena FL or NFLEurope? If the money is good, players will adapt to the rules of whatever league. I don't want to see us with guys who are knocking on our door last.

The AFLs cap is at 1.82 mil (91K per player AVG if cap is filled) the CFL would be at 84.4K a player with a maxed out cap.(Having my mind completely blank on roster size I used 45)

CFL teams has a couple advantages,
1.More starting spots, most americans come to the CFL hoping to do that and make there way to the NFL
2.Stability, if you get injured in the AFL you're only guarenteed one months slary before they dump you

Since this is bout the salary cap I think it's great to have it in the League. I mean look at the NHL My Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. Now will be Aanheim Ducks are flourishing along with Carolina and Boston.

Like i said Cap is GOOD.

CFL is #2 in terms of players' salaries. Top players in AFL, usually the QB, get ~150k. So you would assume the talent level is higher in the CFL. NFL Europe....HAHA

u got to remember this…america has 10 times our population, thus can fill much larger stadiums, and NFL tickets are 10 times more expensive than the same seat at a CFL game ( maybe more ), they get millions more people watching on tv because of this and so command much larger tv deals,

…a bigger market earns them more money, so more money to pay to the players…football is number 1 in america, and in canada its hockey, then CFL football.

i believe cfl’s tv ratings were in the average of 450 000 per game…times that by 10 ( cuz usa pop. is 10 times ours ), u have a rating of 4 500 000, which is close to what a football game in the states draws. ricky ray would be earning 4.5 million, instead of 450 000…multiply the 3.8million cap by 10 and it becomes 38 mill…so it kinda works out.

‘F’ number 2, CFL is number 1.

god help us all!, BRING THE LEAGUE BACK TO CANADA WHERE IT BELONGS!!!

GO JETS GO!!! DOWN WITH THE DUCKS!!!

(DM, it’s Anaheim, not Aanaheim, and they should get their MLB team back from LA, let their NHL team go, and try and get LA’s NFL team)

“b) will the owners get rich off it, keeping a substantial portion of what should be player salaries for themselves”

prefect example: Mr. Taman

but the salary cap rules, otherwise you will have one dominate team and division like the EE and the West kicking everyone’s butt with great players to the point where the league isn’t competive enough and the playoff picture doesn’t make sense. Example: see 1981

and Dgod is right on! you rock mate!

Kanga you are never entitled to correct anyone's spelling.

Also don't reply to this, let's not make another topic about you.

There will always be ways to cheat a cap, but I think the’ve set the cap at a reasonable number that the cheating will be at a minimum. Roughyfan makes some good points in his page 1 post. The cap should strengthen the league as a whole. More parity! I don’t see it as much of a factor this year considering the teams spending was relatively close to the cap.

"u got to remember this...america has 10 times our population....i believe cfl's tv ratings were in the average of 450 000 per game...times that by 10 u have a rating of 4 500 000,...... ricky ray would be earning 4.5 million, instead of 450 000...multiply the 3.8million cap by 10 and it becomes 38 mill...so it kinda works out."

Using that logic, the CFL should only have 3 teams!!!

"'F' number 2, CFL is number 1."

I'm cool with that.

you mean about 3.2 teams, NFL has 32 team now.