Salaries and playoff bonuses?

Occasionally I’ll read what this player’s salary is or that player’s is in the CFL. Is there a site where this info is public knowledge? Also, does anyone know what the bonus pay breakdown is for being in the playoffs? For winning the Grey Cup?

It ain't spit. I make more at McDonalds.

like hell.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but...I believe that - of all people, Ricky Ray is the highest paid in the league (kind of explains why they suffer for talent). I think most otherwise earn 3 figures at least, don't they?

I think the two highest paid players are Calvillo and Ray at about $350,000.

I believe the minimum salary is $45,000 and the average salary is $80-85,000 with roughly half the players getting 6 figures.

Winning share of the Grey Cup I think is $16-20,000. Not sure of the playoff shares leading up to that.

They generally are paid after game day so each cheque is 1/18 of total. So Ray and Calvillo get about $20,000 after each game. The minimum guys get about $2500.

These figures are not facts, just what I recollect. No links, no proof.

Very often it is the American rookie earning the minimum. I remember when Dave Dickenson broke into the league he was paid about $20,000. Take it or leave it. His biggest years in BC was about $400,000 I think

I meant the Grey Cup / Playoff Bonus thing. I don't think the boys get very much for all their extra effort.

PLAYOFF BONUSES: Both the Calgary Stampeders and Montreal Alouettes will be cooling their jets this weekend, having both earned opening playoff byes by virtue of winning their divisions.

But players from both teams will still be getting a little something for their efforts. Each will receive a $3,200 bonus for their team’s first-place finish.

And that’s also the same amount the Edmonton Eskimos, Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Saskatchewan Roughriders and B.C. Lions players will all receive for participating in their division semifinals.

Players participating in the division finals will each receive $3,400.

Members of the Grey Cup-winning team not only get championship rings, but also receive $16,000 each. Players on the runner-up squad get $8,000 each.

So a Grey Cup-winning player will earn $22,600 in playoff bonus money. Not bad, considering the average CFL salary is roughly $60,000.

[url=http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/rss/article/471061]http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/ ... cle/471061[/url]

It's hard to not speculate that the Eskimos will unload Ray after this season. Will he retire? WIll he go elsewhere? If the Lions can't come back as we all hope, could Ray end up here? My bet is that the Eskies go after MacPherson; if he's not available, perhaps Jarious, even Printers(?). In any event they need to free up some bucks to improve their picture. Tillman knows his craft and he does it well.

Excellent ik17! Thanks for the link.

Also, in addition to the league money that pays playoff bonuses to all players some players will have individual contract bonuses from their teams for making each round of the playoffs amongst other bonuses.

Plus that article is 2 years old, so I think with the latest CBA, the payoff would be a little higher this year.

Although it's not much for professional sports, $60-80k is a significant salary when the CFL only runs from June-November. That leaves half a year for another job, or just a long vacation (with a moderate workout routine). Most people in Canada with standard 40 hour/week jobs don't even make that kind of money working 11 months a year.

Regardless of what professional atheletes earn - 50K or in the millions, most seem to elevate their lifestyles and standard of living to match their wealth - not unlike the most of us. How often have we seen the most successful become bankrupt in a short span of time? I think what determines their ability to succeed after sport is dependent on how they invest their time while they're in it - something influenced by what level of values and retained wisdom they've acquired. Do they squander it on toys, self-gratification, or upgrade themselves in preparation for what may come sooner than they anticipate? Yes, off-seasons are a time for them to remain in shape, but it can also provide windows of time to prepare them to step into the work force. One of the best examples of that is someone like Pat Quinn, who took law courses while playing with the Canucks. By the time Pat retired from playing he was ready to take the bar. It's pretty cool to be a pro - I'm sure; but the temporary fame can run some pretty serious interference for these guys if they're not careful.

3 figures? I know CFL players dont earn the most, but $100-$999 seems a little low??? :slight_smile: What is this the 1920’s? :lol:

Yeah, yeah, yeah...I meant SIX. Pardon me.