Sakoda not Medlock

[url=http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/2010/08/back-from-the-peg.html]http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/2010/ ... e-peg.html[/url]

"And Arash Madani at Sportsnet is reporting that new kicker Sakoda hurt himself Thursday but didn't tell anybody and there are more kickers on their way."

Setta?

nope. rumors are... warren kean and a guy u cats fans are familliar with.. justin palardy.. apparently he's a good fg kicker and apparently him and kean are the 2 guys who will be on the way.

palary is apparently suspended tho but then again, maybe the cats secretly released him as kicking fg's is his forte.

[url=http://www.torontosun.com/sports/football/2010/08/14/15026361.html]http://www.torontosun.com/sports/footba ... 26361.html[/url]

theres the article from the sun. says toronto but its a wpg sun writer talking about the bombers.

…is this team snake-bit when it comes to kickers :roll: I don’t know how many we’ve rolled through here in the last few years but it seems like a mittful…We had one guy, Duncan Donut show up a few years back…stub his toe and disappear…He even got lost in a Calgary airport on his way here :lol: I lost count on how many Berry brought in…we even had a deal for this kid Whyte in B.C. as i recall ,until he told Wally he would rather quit than report to the Bombers … Then there’s the on and off again kicking of Serna…who made you shut your eyes everytime he tried a field-goal…Sakoda, although he didn;t get lost in an airport like McDuncan, tweaked his leg before hitting the field of play for the BigBlue :lol: …You have to laugh…My theory is ever since Westwood left the postion he practices some sort of ‘witchdoctor spell’ on all of these guys…I wonder how many more will be coming to fill the position never to be heard from again…This is getting spooky :lol: :lol: and please Troy…if that’s what you’re doing…please leave Renaud alone…we want another longlived kicker like Cameron,Kennerd and yourself… :thup:

Palardy is not suspended. I checked the CFL transactions list and he was moved to suspended on Aug 5 by the Ticats, then he was added to their roster from suspended on Aug 6 and then deleted from their roster also on Aug 6. So not a secret.

Yea we cut Palardy soon after we suspended him. He's available.

Why didn’t WPG keep Serna around, just in case ?

Now this post may have to be changed to Sakoda, Kean, Elaschuk or Palardy and not Medlock!! :wink:

The change was needed, simple as that you cannot miss so many easy Field Goals and expect to stick around. Serna seemed to have a lucky year last season because he stunk in 2008 and this season. We need a consistant kicker, simple as that!!!

They don’t need to waste an import spot on someone to kick singles. They probably have position players who can do that.

Make the change, if we have someone better ! But we don’t, we have made things worse !

We had someone better. Sakoda was kicking great during practices and would have been on the roster instead of Serna. It’s not Lapo’s fault that Sakoda didn’t tell him about tweaking something until just before game time. It would have been too late to change the roster even if Serna had still been around since rosters are finalized 24 hours before the game.

Sakoda’s character needs to be questioned and Sakoda hasn’t kicked Field Goals in a few years ! No way he is better than Serna at the moment ! Which is scary !

In practice Sakoda was consistently kicking 45-48 yard FGs. IIRC they were having him kick some with a rush to try to make it more like game conditions. If there had been a kicking contest during the week I think Sakoda would have won and been put on the roster for the game.

Sakoda made a mistake in not telling the medical and coaching staff about the injury and will likely be out of a job because of it. They talked about this on the TSN panel a few weeks ago and it’s not an uncommon thing unfortunately.

I hope it works out, but practice and kicking under game conditions are very different ! I guess this would be the year to audition a whole bunch of kickers and maybe we will find a keeper ?

TJH hadn't played a game in almost 2 years IIRC. Glad that wasn't a factor in making up the line-up. :wink:

Apples and oranges , can’t compare FG kicking to other positions on the field !

How can you honestly sit there and say we don’t have anyone netter and things are worse? Serna was missing field goals from inside the 30 yard line and missing them frequently, i think we have some kickers auditioning that can at least make a 30 yarder. It can’t get any worse than the Serna misses (12, 15, 22 yard misses) seriously can these kickers be any worse? Heck i never thought i would say this but i would rather see Troy back than have Serna missing those easy ones.
Sorry to say but i don’t know what was going on with Serna, honestly in 2008 he had Berry on his back every second and being a rookie made things worse that year, last year he had a great year, but this year it was like 2008 all over again. Could it be that he is a small guy to begin with and seemed to lose 15-20 pounds from last season? maybe!! Last season he was listed around 170 LBS, this year he was listed at 165, than 160 than 155 LBS, to be honest i think 170 was being generous to begin with.

Last week , Lapolice said we would not attempt a FG outside of 25 yards ! That is worse ! I know Sakoda left us out to dry, but that doesn't change the fact we were in a complete mess last week ! Who ever wins the job, I wouldn't expect miracles off the bat, especially with cold weather around the corner and it will be tough learning conditions !

We were 2 plays from winning that game.

Regarding Sakoda, given that Lapo didn’t know about the injury, even if Serna had still been in town it would NOT have mattered. The roster is set 24 hours before the game and there is no way that Lapo would have listed 2 kickers and a punter on the 46 man roster with the information he had.

Thankfully, the weather has been cooperating for the kicker auditions (it’s been windy as heck at the stadium) so Lapo is getting a good look at them under the proper conditions.