Safety Concerns at THF

From today's Steve Simmons column in the Toronto Sun. Disconcerting to say the least.

SAFETY CONCERNS ABOUT TICATS' NEW STADIUM

One of the people working on Tim Hortons Field, the eventual new home of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, believes the stadium is unfit for usage this football season and could potentially be dangerous if opened prematurely. He says that privately. He says that seriously.

He won’t say it for the record.

But his words are strong, nonetheless.

The last concern in this case should be for the Ticats and a rush to have the stadium open for the usually sold-out Labour Day game against the Argonauts. The first concern must be for the safety of everyone involved.

The delays in the building of the eventual Pan Am Games facility have been monumental and well-documented. But now it’s close to serious decision-making time and structural problems, among others, I’m told, still need to be addressed.

CFL commissioner Mark Cohon must insist upon full disclosure this close to Labour Day and the league and the Ticats had better have a sensible alternative for the Sept. 1 game and maybe for the rest of this season.

As much as we all are hoping for the stadium to open on Labour Day, I think we need to take a breathe and put things in perspective.

Whenever a tragic event puts lives in jeopardy, or worse, sees someone actually come to harm, everyone always looks at it in hindsight and murmurs how "it reminds all of us what's really important".

Maybe the experts will decide the stadium is ready, maybe they won't, but the safety of the public needs to be the paramount factor in the decision. Let's all keep in mind the "remember what's really important" factor.

'His words are strong' - my arse! His words would be strong if he said exactly what is not yet safe about the stadium and why what is not safe about it can't possibly be addressed sooner rather than later. What exactly needs to be done to make it 'safe' that is going to take until November to do?

To generically say - it isn't safe if we use it this year without in any way giving any indication of what specifically isn't safe about it is not strong - it is silly scaremongering IMO.

[b]But now it’s close to serious decision-making time and structural problems, among others, I’m told, still need to be addressed.[/b]
structural problems? Electrical. mechanical, washrooms and interior/exterior cosmetics have been mentioned recently but this is the first time I've heard of structural issues.

let's hope this is not the case.

You could start your own construction company with the number of people who refuse to give their names or specifics since this all began.

Simmons also said Argos might go hard after Dressler if he's cut. Odd since we were told TOR is running on fumes financially. Wonder if HAM makes a play for him ?

An accident on Labour Day is the last thing this team/league needs.

I don't know what to think.

Give me a break. Steve Simmons is one of the biggest jackasses in Canadian sports media, not just Toronto. What’s so unsafe about it? It’s going to pass inspection before its opened. This is total BS. “I heard this guy say this” is not valid facts, especially for print media. He must be mad all his buddies got fired by the leafs and now he has nothing to write about in the dead of August. JACKASS!!

It’s a story from the Toronto (sickle) and Star - Strike One.

The “information” comes from one person, unnamed and is unsubstantiated - Strike Two.

The information comes from one person working at THF. Out of how many? and what is that person’s motivation for making this statement? We aren’t told an don’t know. It could be they had bad day, they hate their boss, they are and Arghblows fan, etc. etc. - Strike Three.

Yawn. moving on.

One minor correction Billy Dee - Simmons is not with the Star he is with the Sun has fried my brains so everything on my pages is brainless rag.

[url=http://www.torontosun.com/2014/08/16/blue-jays-gm-alex-anthopoulos-set-to-return-next-year]http://www.torontosun.com/2014/08/16/bl ... -next-year[/url] << Simmons's comments re THF are at the bottom of his column.

Oski Wee Wee,

Russ

The Cats should find a suitable alternative for the rest of the season and skip the "soft" opening. Letting the stadium get finished completely, properly, and safely should be everyone's main goal. Then the inaugural game could be presented with much fanfare instead of the TSN cameras showing the port-a-potties, construction refuse and mud.

The article doesn't mention anything about structural problems. Somebody here has jumped to that conclusion with no basis.

The stadium as it stands now, is unsafe for public access. It is a construction site. There are tripping hazards, construction debris, loose materials etc. Many of the handrails are temporary. In order to be on the site construction workers have to wear hard hats and safety boots and to have completed their safety training.

Before the public is allowed into the stadium, the guardrails will have to be finished, the parts that are unsafe for public access will have to be fenced off, unpaved areas will have to be paved and all construction debris will have to be cleaned up from the public areas. None of that is a "structural" problem.

8) You better read that article again, more closely this time !!
  It definitely mentions structural problems, among other things !!

Funny thing is, someone on this site mentioned about a month ago, that they had heard there was some kind of 
   structural problem with THF,  but they were laughed at on here !!    <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: -->

Iresponsible journalism plain and simple. DogsFan is right about Simmons.

Yes Agreed, No where does Simmons say his contact said that the new stadium has a Structural Problem he writes the following:

Steve Simmons/Toronto Sun
One of the people working on Tim Hortons Field, the eventual new home of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, believes the stadium is unfit for usage this football season and could potentially be dangerous if opened prematurely. He says that privately. He says that seriously.

Okay, unfit, but still it’s unto the City of Hamilton’s Building Inspectors to make that call and they will hopefully soon and we can put an end to all the speculation as to weather or not it will be ready for Labour Day?

I’m sure if by some chance the stadium does not get approval that the Tiger-Cats do have an alternative plan in place but so much has been placed on the hope that Labour Day will be the opening day for THF and the Tiger-Cats and I’m sure Bob Young (Caretaker) and many fans would be happy to hear that.

As far as Structural problems No way, everything is engineered before the stadium was erected and signed off on, just like every aspect of building this stadium and every stage of construction are signed off on and finally approved by the City of Hamilton and the Province of Ontario Building Inspectors and I’m sure they will spend 3 to 5 days just going through their process inspection to make sure all is clear before fans enter the stadium.

I hope that the New Tim Horton’s Field is ready to go for Labour Day because it’s such a great opportunity for the Team, The Fans and the City of Hamilton on such a memorable occasion as the Labour Day Classic Game, Tiger-Cats against the Argo’s and a great opportunity to kick off our new home for everyone involved!!

GO CATS GO!!!

it is mentioned here…

Steve Simmons: The delays in the building of the eventual Pan Am Games facility have been monumental and well-documented. But now it’s close to serious decision-making time and [b][i][u]structural problems, among others, I’m told, still need to be addressed.[/u][/i][/b]

it clearly says structural problems in the article. are you guys purposely ignoring it??

but i find it BS that the "source" will say it privately but not on record. if you're so confident OWN it. own up what you say. if you dont want to be identified then i find it hard to believe what you're saying

I know there were structural problems when first assembling the steel. ppl working on the site said the foundation shifted and joints had to be triple welded. I even heard rumours that the wrong type of steel was ordered. who knows whats true or not. I would assume those issues had been resolved thou

8) Thank you for that, "tangledweb" !!
   Some people just can't read, or they choose to ignore what is written in black and white, I guess !!   <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: -->

SS is a J A , who thrives on bashing the CFL.

It is not the CFL or the Ticats fault.

It will be interesting to see what the alternative plans are, if needed.

IMO the CFL should sue the Ontario Government for at least 50 million!! :cowboy:

Like I said before, Simmons can say what he want's about structural or not, he is not an expert nor is he naming anyone who is, what counts here is that every stage of the Construction process is signed off on and approved for safety by the contractor as is the Structural Steel, Concrete and so on and final approval on the overall stadium is up to the City of Hamilton and the Province representing Infrastructure Ontario before any fan even enters the new Tim Horton's Field, I guess Steve didn't mention that in his story?

The person I feel sorry for in this case is the Caretaker (Bob Young) and the Tiger-Cats who are the losers so far in this waiting game. The Cats are the long approved Tenant of the new stadium having signed on for 20 years with the hope like all of us fans that this stadium would have been ready by July 26th this year but that came and went, as well did the other games, now we are maybe looking at Labour Day still with a question of Yes or No depending on the approvals from the Building Inspectors.

So before you get all worried that your stadium is going collapse while you are sitting in your seat, lets see what the official word is from the City of Hamilton and Infrastructure Ontario, if approved the stadium will be deemed safe to attend if it's Not well than it's plan "B". Hopefully we'll know this week.