"Safe Haven", "Trolling" and other questions

Maybe all team forum threads just remain off the main CFL board so that anyone signing in or looking in without signing in only sees the posters CFL threads and all the CFL created threads only initially in opening the door .

The registered fan or visitor would need to go to thru another door to the sub forums team threads or to other entertainment threads to now go on that forum to see those threads intended for team fans or those who wish to talk about more diverse entertainment/sports .

Then deal with the discord on any topic within with rules that apply within a more distinct detail of who it is that says it than what is said .

But ,

Now you better be equipped with real non fan of team radar though if someone creates a profile for the sole purpose to troll .

Just arguing on issues is not being a troll ; it would be aggressive negative talk about the team fans themselves or their team in a condescending or belittling manner that most likely would be the evidence of a troll of a team .

3 Likes

Precisely. And Iā€™ve noticed from long years of experience that those quickest to label others as ā€œtrā€¦ā€ are exactly those who best fit that description themselves. They call others such precisely and only to stifle dissenting opinions. Calling another poster a ā€œtrā€¦ā€ should result in immediate sanction by the mods.

:face_with_monocle:

If "safe sites" are allowed to exist, then the moderators need to ensure the TOPIC is not inflammatory, insulting, abusive or trolling towards other teams. Seams like a fair compromise to me.

2 Likes

I didnt join the original ticats.ca message board to talk to fans of other teams around the league.

Granted I didnā€™t have a choice when things migrated but itā€™s clear a change in software means a change in peopleā€™s behaviours.

Youā€™re right. You have every right the question. And I guess Iā€™ll have to decide if I want to continue posting there.

1 Like

Why can't everyone just be nice!
:rainbow: :sun_with_face: :beers:

4 Likes

Pride, Sunshine & suds. :+1:

Well me Iā€™m first and foremost a Canadian gridiron football fan. I donā€™t taunt, trash talk or put down any Canadian teams in any forum. Thatā€™s where we differ I guess.

:frowning_face_with_open_mouth:

Why canā€™t every fan on this board be united when it comes to love for the
CFL?

:question:

2 Likes

Youā€™ve completely missed my point - I joined CFLzone, 13thman, etc. to engage with other CFL fans, I know where I am and what iā€™m doing. I joined the original ticats forum to talk to Ticat fans, and only Ticat fans. The odd fan would come in and chime in with their thoughts on something but it was few and far between.

The point is now anything said in a team forum is essentially thrown out into the main forum for all to see, it absolutely invites people from other teams coming in and giving their opinion. No offence to Bomber fans but I donā€™t need their opinion on Andrew Harris. Itā€™s simply an invitation for conflict.

If I browse the Riderfans or ourbombers and see a thread about Simoni Lawrence, I donā€™t go in to challenge them on their opinion, thatā€™s why its a dedicated team forum.

The Ticats forum went from a dedicated team forum, to one that is not. It was relatively fine for a while - but now its essentially a CFL fan site with a Ticats logo in the corner.

I guess the solution is someone popping up a private Ticats fan message board - but remember that many of us joined under that premise.

4 Likes

Almost everybody here loves the CFL and 3-Down Football. Itā€™s also why we argue a lot sometimes.

The only ones who donā€™t were the guys who trolled over during that recent bygone ā€œmergerā€ nonsense era plus I donā€™t believe that The Rock loves the CFL even though he says he does too.

This is an example of how layout and format in many forums, and beyond mere screens, matter more than many folks notice or think.

Iā€™m thinking that in this format at hand for a few years now, the layout and direction to team forums can be modified so as to make the nature of the team forums clearer as ā€œsafe spacesā€ for fans of the teams including especially to new members of the forum who were not around under the old format.

The original idea was if you were not a fan of the team and you chose to comment in their forum, you are a guest or visitor and you are not to go in there and challenge or worse such as to antagonize.

You can challenge any given homer point of view, and there sure are plenty of those, in the general forum or anywhere else on the internet or in your own team forums.

The team forums are a great feature about this site despite less use by fans of many teams since the change in format.

2 Likes

And it was like this for a long time - with very little issues.

4 Likes

Would it be possible for @sully to look into some of these suggested changes to the format?

3 Likes

I disagree. The team forums should continue to be safe havens from taunting and trash talking for the team, but in no way safe havens for the opinions of fans of that particular team. If these fans post something inflammatory and just plain idiotic, their posts can and should continue to be subject to challenge.

:face_with_monocle:

Thereā€™s nothing wrong with the present system though.

:neutral_face:

Are you speaking on behalf of yourself or everyone?
IMHO, it would be nice if some of the suggested ideas or improvements could be made

3 Likes

In a safe haven thread, one would think that being civil to each other would be a given, but apparently not.

Stay on topic, and STAY RESPECTFUL OF EACH OTHER, folks, even when you disagree.

2 Likes