Ryan Hinds signed, Jeremy Ito released

[url=http://www.ticats.ca/article/tiger-cats-sign-2009-draft-pick-hinds]http://www.ticats.ca/article/tiger-cats ... pick-hinds[/url]

(in the last paragraph).

Why do you not mention the main point of the article that Hinds was signed?

Only like to focus on the negative? :wink:

I need my memory refreshed.
So we don't have a back-up kicker or a punter yet.
Who does Obie have coming in to training camp?

They drafted a guy that is known to be amazing at directional punts but not so great with yards. Obie has mentioned before that the team was looking at as many as 3 NI free agent punters.

We will know in 3 weeks for sure. I suspect a minimum of 2 punters going to camp.

westwood!! :wink:

zenstate: Thanks. I missed that. I feel better now. :slight_smile:

Like the signing of Hinds VERY much and you'd have to be pretty well blind not to see the writing on the wall for Ito after the signing of DeAngelis and especially after drafting Palardy.That's not to say he's a bad football player, that's not at all true.He just doesn't have the right passport and it ended up costing him his job.Nature of the beast in the CFL.

Actually I thought it was the bigger story. I will be proven wrong, of course, if Hinds turns out to be a starter for us this year. :wink:

Hopefully the brain trust has learned from the Lumsden failure that a ratio buster is a player that is an EXTRA NI starter so that if ANY NI goes down an import can take his place allowing more flexibility. This common sense approach wasn't taken and when Lumsden went down there was no backup without adding a NI elsewhere. If he's good enough to start but we have no adequate NI import at that position then he has to either not play at all or we have to start him in place of an import

Assuming no changes to the collective agreement, I think the team will use their previously demonstrated, perhaps flawed logic, that they should only start the minimum 7 NI players. Other successful teams (Montreal, eg.) actually play their best players whether I or NI and usually play more than the minimum of 7 NI starters. Obie seems to have the opinion that if a I is not good enough to start over an NI then the import is not good enough to be on the team. (I’ve seen this stated before but have no links to prove it).

This year? He is a rookie. Are you experiencing those unrealistic expectations that many Cat fans seem to?

I expect him to make the active roster as a backup. That is what you would call a realistic expectation. Try it out… it’s fun! You don’t get let down.

Actually no. A giant if IMO. You seemed to have missed the part that I stated he should sit if he isn't good enough to displace an import. Well maybe I stated that badly. IF and thats a big if he's a ratio buster the Cats have to manage the roster differently and learn from the Lumsden fiasco. If that happens this season or 5 seasons from now that doesn't change. If its another player the same principal applies. A NI player without a backup has to play in an import starters position as an extra NI starter

If Hinds could punt or was a long snapper I'd feel much better. If I were him I'd start practicing. :?

Please explain why a starting corner back at a Division 1 school should have a “realistic” expectation of being a backup. There are lots of Division 1 players who start in their first year in the CFL. Btw I said nothing about expecting him to start. I only said that his signing would be the bigger story if he turns out to start for us this year. Do you think that if he makes the team as a backup that this would be the bigger story?

Agreed we really need a punter. Ito didn’t look right for that to me tho, and I think we have 2 long snappers so we should be alright there.

Actually I thought it was the bigger story. I will be proven wrong, of course, if Hinds turns out to be a starter for us this year. :wink:
[/quote]
This year? He is a rookie. Are you experiencing those unrealistic expectations that many Cat fans seem to?

I expect him to make the active roster as a backup. That is what you would call a realistic expectation. Try it out.. it's fun! You don't get let down.
[/quote]
Please explain why a starting corner back at a Division 1 school should have a "realistic" expectation of being a backup. There are lots of Division 1 players who start in their first year in the CFL. Btw I said nothing about expecting him to start. I only said that his signing would be the bigger story if he turns out to start for us this year. Do you think that if he makes the team as a backup that this would be the bigger story?
[/quote]
I will say that Hinds will be eased in ala Dylan Barker.
Learn the ropes from coach Marshall and when we have a non-import option to back Hinds up at corner we can make him a starter.
Cats drafted DB Chris Rwabukamba from Duke University to be this guy IMO....maybe in 2011.

I really don't think it matters. If Hinds is good enough to start he will start.

There have been many Div. 1 players in the CFL that didn’t start their 1st year. Most of the americans in the CFL played at Div. 1 schools.

I would still say your expectation is unrealistic. Could he start? Very possibly but I do not expect him to. He will not end up as a FS as that is not his talent. He was drafted for his cover skills. I predict he starts by 2011 or maybe even late in 2010. Even the CFL has a faster pace than div. 1 college ball and he will need time to adjust.

Most very talented rookies do not start right away. Even in the NFL.

Signing Hinds is the bigger story. Even if through some twist of fate he weren’t to make the team, it wouldn’t change the fact that this week, signing a 2nd round draft pick is bigger news than the release of an import kicker who had 4 field goal attempts in his CFL career to date. Especially considering the released player was made redundant months ago when the Cats signed a kicker who just turned 29 and has the highest career field goal accuracy in CFL history (among those with at least 100 attempts).

Generally speaking, releasing a player only translates as bigger news than acquiring a player if the released player is a star, a local boy, or a longtime veteran, or there is some strange angle to the story, or you actually are the released player or a member of his immediate family. I can feel sympathy for Ito, but his release was not big news.

ILL tell you this right now, unless U have a backup canadian defensive back who can come in and start, HINDS WILL NOT BE STARTING this year..

keep in mind, the guy played in division 1, not cis so basically he probably has a bit of a learning curve to adapt to cfl rules. sure he's canadian but that doesnt mean much.

Marc Beswick i think if he's still on your team has more of a chance of starting than hinds does. but whatever.

as for rwabanuka or whatever.. dont expect to see him anytime soon, kids got NFL written all over him.