Running Back Questions - Still not answered!

Sorry but that is an excuse not a reason. QB’s move to new teams all the time, new receivers come and go and there is maybe a game or two for adjustment. By this time DD should have their patterns down pat like other QB’s. Willy moved to a completely new team with new everything and he seems to be in sync with their receiving core. Professionals adjust and adapt. DD has always had a problem looking past his first read and it still shows. Hell at times tonight he was walking up to centre still looking at his first read. DD rarely double pumps and there is a reason for that, again, despite having oodles of time, he tries to wait until his first preference is open.

It is a valid reason when you have built chemistry with guys for a few years. If you lose a secretary or big member of your staff…or heck, try 1/4 of your go to staff that you worked with for a few years, do you think you are not going to miss a beat at work?

I thought, for tonight as an example, DD looked down lots of receivers…the bomber secondary was generally pretty good though.

This is exactly the type of game in seasons past where Durant would have been pressing late in the game zeroing in on first look and throwing picks. I thought he was EXTREMELY patient tonite despite the frustration of the offense not finding the endzone. Give Winnipeg some credit. They f’n showed up. Zero turnovers in a 1 score game. Now that’s what I call protecting the ball. Durant had a ton to do with that.

I was totally impressed with Messam - what a truck. He may be taking over Szarka's nickname! The only issue I had with his performance was his having to call to the sideline to take a breather several times in the 4th quarter. It forced us to take a time-out, which fortunately we didn't need in the end, when the lame Ford ran in and they realized that the play call was not what they wanted with the change. I don't know if he wasn't just in game shape or the heat and humidity but to me it was a bit of a concern.

Hope he's our guy - coupled with Ford or Allen and our O-line who needs more than 115 yards passing in a game?

I’d say Messam was not quite in shape but also was getting overheated but what do you expect when you run for more yards than the QB passed for all while carrying most of the Winnipeg D on your back for 1/2 those yards.

I would keep Dressler but If I had to guess…I would say they would do what they have to do to get both and likely lose Sheets in the offseason. Ford and Allen going into next season then try to convince Messam to switch to LB, lol, god he’s big, lol

Dressler
It is proven the Riders can pick up a RB here there everywhere that can get a hundred yards. Sheets improved a lot blocking last season (I will say drastically with a couple games in reg season left). Get a good blocker with ok speed…hell…dress an extra 2 National OLmen (okay, one plus Messem lol) and rotate them every couple plays…who cares if they are out of shape compared to the average back…you create holes and they get 4+ every touch with this line. Plus, you just made a ratio buster and have an extra OLman dressed if need be. Keep a utility reciever like R Smith and Dressler around for a changeup to a shifty RB around incase they put in their bulkier LBs to go after the big RBs (or just dump pass around them). It might all sound silly, but heck…it is viable…hell, instead of dressing 6-7 OL you can now dress 8-9 and rotate 3-4 of them them at RB and OL.

Durant was doing it all game, the difference is that they prevent DD from throwing late in the game. A perfect example was him on his knockdown last night. Came out of the huddle and his eyes never left the called receiver, then he looks to Bagg later on, gets rushed and tried to force it between 3 defense and was very fortunate it wasn’t picked off. It’s been his Achilles heal for years and is why he does get picked off so much. He is at his best when he doesn’t try to force a throw and starts using his feet but that seems to be the very last resort for him now days. When his feet start moving, his picks go down. His feet stop moving and his picks start climbing.

Couldnt have made a pile better of a rushed attempt than that through. I thought it was a pretty solid pass for the situation. Also, on that play he looks sort left, deep left, middle, deep left again, then passes to the right to Bagg…his 5th look and 4th in progression on the play.

One of many plays the Bombers had superb coverage.

Forced…yeah, a little. He really only made a couple iffy pass attempts…that being one of them…every qb does it. If you are making an iffy pas 1 out of 12 attempts, completing 1 of every 4 and getting 1 in 8picked…fine by me.
That means that out every 48 passes
1 is a caught forced ball, 3 incomplete forced balls, 0.5 INTs on forced balls.

Show me a QB who has won anything and I will show you a QB who forces the odd ball in there.

Dressler for sure. Corey was great for us, but as they say running backs are a dime a dozen. Far harder to replace what Dressler brings.

Yup

Sheets…he has something special, don’t get me wrong

The bugger is that the Riders are actually pretty flush with receivers…the only real question is outside. Taj around, not so much. Taj not around…who knows, but there are at least potential candidates.

I like Gezt at SB…obviously, but IMO Swain is going to be big. The motion and blocking he does for a guy who has only dressed a few games is way ahead of the pace of most guys…and yes, even the ex-NFLers with experience. Sisco and Riley are likely gone, so that is 5 left injured/PR

So what do you do, cut Ryan Smith or DePalma or Korey Williams? One of them has to go if Dressler were to return

Ahh but if that was true about running backs then how come we have had almost a whole team of just them in camp? Shouldn’t we have just picked up anyone and stick with them? Sorry yes good rb’s are fairly common but great running backs are not . Sheets is a great running back.

Yes… If Dressler is available one of those guys has to go regardless… DePalma showed promise, Smith showed promise but is small, and I think Williams was a BC cut wasn’t he? I don’t know much about Williams…