[Rumour] James Franklin in extension talks with ESKs

gary lawlessVerified account
?@garylawless
hearing @EdmontonEsks are discussing contract extension with quarterback James Franklin #cfl @cfl

gary lawless ?@garylawless 33m33 minutes ago
decision for James Franklin will be to re-up with @EdmontonEsks and get a pay raise or play out his deal and have NFL and free agent opps

gary lawless ?@garylawless 28m28 minutes ago
gary lawless
minimum of 150 k per season is my guess. otherwise why re-up? offer has to tempt him to walk from free agency and NFL chances next winter,

Jon Jennings re-signed in B.C. for 3-years at $150k, $175k and $300k. He was already signed for 2 more seasons at $55k (plus starting bonus) and was extended for one more season. Franklin is only one year away from free agency and has two years experience while Jennings had only one year when he resigned. So perhaps Franklin is in line for substantial raise…say, $175k, $200k which is pretty good backup money. Reilly will likely be playing several more years so Franklin will have to be content as a backup. Another option would be for Franklin to play out his final season in Edm (likely to be traded a week or two before free agency if he doesn’t re-sign with the Esks) then become a free agent and sign with the best offer in the CFL & NFL.

Difference is Jennings was starting…

…BIG difference…and what’s stopping Hervey from trading Franklin NOW if he gets the right deal…I would say if he doesn’t re-up for any length of time the writing will be on the wall…

the logical choice is to see how Reilly holds up through midway next season and then decide ?
Reilly may be the one on the trading block ?

gary lawless Verified account That means its unverified by real sources. Of coarse there talking again and maybe again!!
Gee’s

More likely Franklin will get a pay raise, a contract extension, a NFL tryout window in 2018, and...a new car! :smiley:

Right on the button. Thanks

The other young QB that I was impressed with was Brandon Bridge. Does anyone have a clip from the last Rider Game where he played for 1 quarter? I would like to watch it again.

He seemed to have a very strong arm, great size and can run. Did anyone else see or remember this?

Even more impressive was B. Bridge’s performance in his one Montreal start. Not sure why Mtl gave up on Bridge considering their QB plight and now the indifference from the Riders (maybe he’s their secret weapon and the reason why the Riders are no rush to re-sign Durant?)

They didn’t give up. He turned down an extension, he was stuck behind Adams and Cato, so he went where he felt was his best chance to get to play.

....BIG difference....and what's stopping Hervey from trading Franklin NOW if he gets the right deal...I would say if he doesn't re-up for any length of time the writing will be on the wall..
[/quote]
the logical choice is to see how Reilly holds up through midway next season and then decide ?
Reilly may be the one on the trading block ?
[/quote]
Wow - I bet Uncle Bulbous Barker just popped notches on his 64" big boy pants belt when he read that one!
Who could anyone possibly offer up for Reilly's services? Toronto could easily give up Old Ricky and KillWilly plus a packet of draft picks, neg. listers and maybe even a couple starters tossed in. Ray would just be a 1 year insurance policy on Franklin - Willy would probably end up cut or on the long-term disability list and the rest would be the regular kind of itinerant CFL hobos.
Reilly would be enticing to almost every CFL program other than BC & Calgary but you'd have to ravage your roster to get him - and then he'd be operating at an instant disability w/ inferior hobos.
Sask'n would be the natural trading partner but the Riders don't have much in the way of assets to float Hervey's way. 1st round pick this year and next would be a good start - but very few real stars on the riders, perhaps two years worth of #1 picks plus Roosevelt would do the trick.

.....I doubt that Hervey can come up with enough cash to keep Franklin in Edm. and extend...There's a lot more out there for his services and if it comes down to Hervey watching him walk for nothing vs. some real nice assets....I think everyone knows the answer to that one...Wpg. is interested as being reported by Lawless...Sask. has backed out as they do not have the resources to compete with a Wpg. bid...no 1.. AND the fact that Hervey wanted too much to accommodate a trade....Which brings up the Bombers...who are currently without a no1 qb. signed (and if it stays that way, adequate money to spend) plus some real nice assets sitting in draft prospects...*2 first round pics...(one could be available in a trade for sure)..Doesn't mean Walters will go down that road but the possibility is there...I think if Franklin heads off to the Bombers it would have to be a pretty fair deal for Hervey to accept...Walters isn't about to offer or put together a package that is ridiculous and too rich...He's too shrewd for that but he will have to give up some quality assets....I think it will depend on the Esks. (who are losing some key players this year) if a deal can be made... Rumour has it that the Bombers have put together a package and will most likely try to trade for Franklin, especially if a deal can't be reached with Nichols...We shall see...everything might just remain status quo. :wink:

You don’t know that. A one year extension with a nice pay raise is likely in my opinion.

a NFL tryout window,
is this going to be the new norm in all future contracts ?
so now you can give long term contract with a ( 6 week ? ) window every year with the opportunity to crack the NFL,
if nothing happens they come back to your team for the next season, until their contract expires ?

…AND you don’t know that :lol: My opinion is as valid as yours :stuck_out_tongue: …And I’m predicting a deal will most likely be made for Franklin draft time…We shall see

For the most part we fans see the obvious: size, arm strength, passing yards, TDs, etc.
But coaches look beyond those for execution, composure, understanding the offence, making reads, making decisions, executing the play, checking down options, etc.
If he doesn’t get a chance from somebody to attend TC then he may just be a modern day Vince Ferragamo - looks like he should be great but …