Rumour- Edem to TiCats

CFL.ca Staff

HAMILTON -- According to Justin Dunk, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats have added national depth to their defence, acquiring third-year DB Mike Edem from the Montreal Alouettes in exchange for a 6th round pick in the 2016 CFL Draft.

Edem has recorded 54 career defensive tackles and 25 special teams tackles to go along with 4 interceptions in three seasons. He was drafted third overall in the 2013 CFL Draft.

Edem is finishing his contract and likely going back out to Alberta, its a nice rental and a steal if they can extend him.

Just to clarify , he played his CIS ball in Calgary for the Dino's and also played at McGill but he grew up in Brampton . So his roots since he has been in Canada, lie in Ontario.

Justin Dunk ?@JDunk12 27m27 minutes ago
DB/LB Mike Edem gives #Ticats Canadian depth in secondary as Hamilton starts two non-imports back there and he upgrades special teams. #CFL

so if we start another Canucklehead on defense. does that mean we can go one less on Offence?? cough cough Aprile cough

Statement from the TiCats

TIGER-CATS ACQUIRE DB MIKE EDEM FROM ALOUETTES

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats Football Club announced today the team has acquired national defensive back Mike Edem from the Montreal Alouettes in exchange for a sixth round pick in the 2016 CFL Draft and a conditional seventh round pick in 2017.

Edem, 26, has played in four games with Montreal in 2015, collecting three special teams tackles. The 6-1, 200-pound native of Lagos, Nigeria, has appeared in 39 career CFL regular season games (16 starts) and three playoff games, all with the Alouettes. Edem has accumulated 54 tackles, 25 special teams tackels, five sacks, four interceptions and three fumble recoveries in his three-year CFL career.

In his rookie season in 2013, Edem collected 49 defensive tackles, nine special teams tackles, five sacks, three interceptions and three fumble recoveries. For his efforts, he was named an East Division All-Star and the Alouettes Most Outstanding Rookie and Most Outstanding Canadian.

After stints in the CIS with McGill (2009) and Calgary (2011-12), Edem was selected by the Alouettes in the first round, third overall, in the 2013 CFL Draft.

http://ticats.ca/?p=27627

I can’t see them going with three nationals in the secondary. Note that we already start two, Butler and Stephen, with Daly (and King) backing them up. Looks to me like Edem would just be another nationals backup. You never know, though. Austin has done some pretty weird shtuff over the years, so I never count anything out completely.

There have been reports that the trade was a 6th round in 2016 and a conditional 7th in 2017

I suspect the conditional 7th is if he re-signs with us in 2016.

What's Edem's story? Why did his playing time drop off after his rookie year? Does he only play safety, or other DB spots as well?

[i]Why he hasn't played since his great rookie season is a mystery to all Alouettes fans! None of us understand this boneheaded decision :roll:

You're welcome Ticats :smiley: [/i]

Please try and sign him long term, no idea why the Als would give up on him like they have, this could be a steal and a half.

Edem seems like a good pick up for the team. I remember him having a very good rookie year so why the Als haven't used him as much since seems strange. I'm sure Steinauer an or Reinebold will find a way to use him - whether as a starter or just a situational or STs player remains to be seen. Given that even our good national depth has been sorely tested by injuries this season, adding another quality Canadian player is never a bad idea.

LOL nice exchange.

My guess is with the recent signings of Muamba($225K) and Glenn,($325K+) There is a good chance they went over the Cap and were out of time to get back under the Cap as it was in the last few minutes of trade deadline day.

and this

Rick Moffat ?@RickMoffat 1h1 hour ago
Sorry to see #Alouettes part with Mike Edem but @PoppJim confirmed on #tsn690 the 2013 Allstar wasn't going to re-sign.

Has nothing to do with the CAP. Look at the injured list and the Als have plenty of room. They just have no use for him and really haven't used him since he let out that he was going to walk at the end of his contract. Between Brouillette, Ackie, Lue, Coady, Boulay, Muamba, Shorthill, Blanc.Knowles. The Als have no need for Edem so they got what they could. Noticed how Saskatchewan preferred a 5th rounder vs taking Edem in exchange for Glenn. That tells me he's a rental. Doesn't mean Hamilton can't extend him but at least Montreal and Saskatchwan felt they didn't want to pay what he is looking for.

I'm pretty sure I read that Courtney Stephen will be a FA at the end of this season. Maybe Austin thinks Stephen will test the FA market, and Edem could replace him at corner?

Great pick up. I had hoped the tickets would have drafted him. But, didn't he play linebacker?

He can play safety and outside linebacker.

So now the "tickets" are drafting? :wink: :lol:

Actually to be serious, I heard Austin say in his Thursday scrum (I think it was Thursday anyway) that they were really interested in Edem and almost drafted him with their 2013 #1 pick but chose Gaydosh instead. Nice to get a player through trade now that they were high on all along! :smiley: Just need to offer him an extension to keep him in black and gold past the end of this season.