Rules Questions

It have two questions regarding the rules from last nights game.

1. After a change of possession on downs, does the game clock start when when the ref blows the play in?

I think it was near the end of the 3rd, Cats stopped Calgary on a 3rd down attempt. There was something like 12 seconds left and the Cat had the wind. The game clock started when ref blew the play in. That play ate up the quarter.

I always thought the game clock did not start until the ball was snapped on a change of possession.

1. Can you challenge a horse collar penalty like Dickenson did?

Can you challenge a forward progress/play is stopped like the ball stripping on the QB sneak by Evans.

Thanks for the reply, however thats not the play I'm talking about.

Evans was running and grabbed from behind by the collar. A penalty was called and Calgary challenged that it was not roughing the passer. At least as explained by the ref.

I read something about that, but can't remember where. Anyway, what I read said that the horsecollar rule contains an ambiguity. You can't grab the neckhole (clearly defined area), shoulder pads (also clearly defined), or top of the back of the jersey (not clearly defined). Dickenson challenged that the Calgary player had grabbed the nameplate, so it was below the prohibited zone. Apparently the refs disagreed. Whoever was talking about it said that the league needs to clarify the limits of the prohibited area.

EDIT: Ryan Ballantine talks about it as well in this article.

Outside of 3 mins of each half on any play that stops the clock (out of bounds, incomplete pass, change of possession, score) the clock will start on the referee's whistle.

Even the point after touchdown the game clock runs on the whistle.

1 Like

Correct..

Insane amount of clock runoff in Canadian football for 54 minutes juxtaposed by insane clock stoppage for the other 6 minutes.

1 Like

And that differs from the NFL how? There's a possibility of SIX time-outs PER HALF inside the 2-minute-warning.

I didn't mention the NFL but aside from an arbitrary clock stoppage at 2 minutes the American pro game is timed consistently throughout. Those timeouts are available through the entire 60 minutes.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the CFL has 2 timeouts per half (or is it 2 timeouts per game, formerly 1 timeout per half?) on top of the guaranteed parade of stoppages under 3 minutes.

I prefer the Canadian convention however of having the game expire with 0:00 on a live ball. No walk off with time remaining.

Anyways, I'll take the simpler clock convention that produces roughly the same number of plays.

CFL is two timeouts per game, but you can't use them BOTH inside the three-minute warning.

2 Likes

That was it... thanks for the clarification.. im getting rusty on the details these days..